TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:17:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43
Poll
Question: Who Would You Vote For In a Matchup
Phil Bredesen (D)
Marsha Blackburn (R)
The Libertarian
Other
Undecided
Abstain
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi  (Read 91342 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »

Matt Kisber or Mike McWherter would be good Democratic nominees.

Last time he was the Democratic nominee, Mike McWherter got 33% to Haslam's 65%.

He was running against Bill Haslam without any funding from the DNC. If he’d moderate his views on SSM and abortion(arguing for, say, even a 16-20 week ban), I could see him winning against Blackburn.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »

Last time he was the Democratic nominee, Mike McWherter got 33% to Haslam's 65%.

He was running against Bill Haslam without any funding from the DNC. If he’d moderate his views on SSM and abortion(arguing for, say, even a 16-20 week ban), I could see him winning against Blackburn.

Honestly, Mackler is the only candidate I see with a legitimate chance against Batty Blackburn. He's young, he's a veteran, and he's an outsider, and he seems to be running a pretty populist campaign. His focus on education can only help him, too, given Tennessee's new free college program.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

In case no one has heard of him, Kisber is essentially the prototype of a pro small business politician*, at one point being . He has ties to Vanderbilt University, was Vice President of Business Development at Tennessee First, has twenty years in the state legislature, was in charge of the Department of Economic and Community Development, and has ties to Bredesen.

*National Coalition for Capital Formation even called Kisber a "Champion of Small Business".
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2017, 11:30:26 PM »

Honestly, Mackler is the only candidate I see with a legitimate chance against Batty Blackburn. He's young, he's a veteran, and he's an outsider, and he seems to be running a pretty populist campaign. His focus on education can only help him, too, given Tennessee's new free college program.
Some are making comparisons to Kander, which I can totally see and understand. TBH, he's the one who scares me the most.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »

Fincher in.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »

Perfect. If Fincher wins the primary, Corker is replaced by somebody semi-sane. If Blackburn wins it, she'll come out looking worse than ever and in a perfect spot for a Democratic upset.

EDIT: Never mind, Fincher is known for being corrupt. Even better.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2017, 01:13:18 AM »

Perfect. If Fincher wins the primary, Corker is replaced by somebody semi-sane. If Blackburn wins it, she'll come out looking worse than ever and in a perfect spot for a Democratic upset.

Sane but corrupt vs nut job who is AFAIK clean. Ugh why didn’t Haslam run
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2017, 01:32:17 AM »

Clearly there's only one man in whom we can put our hopes.

Can't smackler the Mackler.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2017, 01:53:21 AM »

This is why the GOP is so screwed up. The primaries dome down to a crook versus a fringe extremist. 

Or a deeply flawed incumbent versus the fringe extremist.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »

IIRC, Blackburn is pretty corrupt.  I know she was involved in the opioid scandal that sunk Marino.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »

IIRC, Blackburn is pretty corrupt.  I know she was involved in the opioid scandal that sunk Marino.

I actually think that reporting was unfair to Marino. The bill passed unanimously and apparently he had a reputation of being skeptical of the DEA’s gung ho elements.

Still glad he’s not Drug Czar, but I think the facts of the situation matter
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »

Just saw this poll.

Bredesen favorability: 34/29 (+5)
Blackburn favorability: 37/31 (+6)

No primary or GE numbers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2017, 08:59:47 PM »

Just saw this poll.

Someone didn't like this poll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »

Just saw this poll.

Someone didn't like this poll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean, they have a good point.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »

Just saw this poll.

Blackburn tying herself to Trump could really hinder her chances. Of course Palin 2.0 will walk away with a victory but as we are seeing in favorability polls, Trump isn't as popular as we would expect in states he won overwhelmingly. His approvals will have to be low 20s on election day for her to lose.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »

Bredesen is expected to decide before Thanksgiving.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/08/2018-election-senate-tennessee-chuck-schumer-phil-bredesen/846209001/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »

Sadly, he'd probably meet the same fate as supposed titans Linda Lingle and Evan Bayh.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2017, 05:10:32 PM by Bagel23 »

Not saying that he will win, but he is by far our best chance in the state. Sure, he might get Stricklanded, but he is unarguably our best and only hope of getting a senate seat under these circumstances in TN within the next gagillion years. Besides, why not try? We need to compete everywhere that is even conceivable, and here it could be competitive. We don't have anything to lose here, and all to gain. His two governor races and approval rating of 72% when he left office are awesome, AND, just to bring up a reminder, in a PPP poll for 2012 hypos in the Senate race against Corker in TN, all Dems were down by yuge double digits, except Bredesen, who was up 46-41 over Corker. Even Lamar Alexander described Bredesen as a formidable candidate just a few days ago. The PPP doc is not working for me anymore, but the polling can be founding on this wiki article under Hypothetical polling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Tennessee,_2012

Chuck Schumer is already courting him to run, and he is reconsidering it now, plus with Corker the incumbent gone, that could help quite a bit. And I know there are tons of holes in this, but still, let's just do it, we literally have nothing to lose in TN.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »

I am just not seeing this.  Even if Nashville and Memphis do what NOVA and Hampton Roads did in VA-GOV and Williamson goes the way of Chesterfield, 2/3rds of the state is still basically VA-09 and filled with diehard rural Trump supporters.  This is a harder lift than Mississippi or Louisiana IMO.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »

I am just not seeing this.  Even if Nashville and Memphis do what NOVA and Hampton Roads did in VA-GOV and Williamson goes the way of Chesterfield, 2/3rds of the state is still basically VA-09 and filled with diehard rural Trump supporters.  This is a harder lift than Mississippi or Louisiana IMO.

I know, but at the very least, put Bredesen forth as the nominee, it does not mean you have to pour a lot of money, time and other resources into the race, but if we have the opportunity to make it even remotely competitive at no charge, we might as well do it.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »

It's more urban than Alabama at least, and the events of the past week have given the Dems a prayer in that state.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »

My message is we can make this somewhat competitive by just fielding Bredesen, and its free, so why the heck not do it?! I'm not saying we pour everything into this race, I'm just saying field him! Why the heck not?!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »

So I was thinking about how strange it is that a good old boy state (TN) is considering electing a women (Marsha Blackburn) on a statewide level. And I was absolutely amazed by how much momentum she is getting. And I was mulling over on if she could ever be defeated, and I came out with an idea. What if democrats got a near clone to a Trumpian, except on some economic issues, and ran him against Blackburn? This candidate would be male, somewhat sexist, a little openly, and mostly indirectly, and go after Blackburn, distancing herself from "Real TN values" and not understanding us since she does not even know us and cannot accurately represent "us". Stuff like that. Throw red meat at the base of the opposite party, try to bring back enough TN white male votes, and form a coalition to win. Basically, take Blackburn down with a candidate like Trump, except a democrat, and have a combo of indirect sexism, social conservatism, and economic left wing positions, along with being male, to take Blackburn out of the senate in 2022. Essentially, even if a democrat did this in tn, they likely would not lose much of the female vote in state, and possibly draw enough tn white male voters with his rhetoric to form a winning coalition. What do yall think? Could this work, and is it ethical? I think it is ethical, anything to take down Marsha Blackburn besides violence, that is never ok.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

So I was thinking about how strange it is that a good old boy state (TN) is considering electing a women (Marsha Blackburn) on a statewide level. And I was absolutely amazed by how much momentum she is getting. And I was mulling over on if she could ever be defeated, and I came out with an idea. What if democrats got a near clone to a Trumpian, except on some economic issues, and ran him against Blackburn? This candidate would be male, somewhat sexist, a little openly, and mostly indirectly, and go after Blackburn, distancing herself from "Real TN values" and not understanding us since she does not even know us and cannot accurately represent "us". Stuff like that. Throw red meat at the base of the opposite party, try to bring back enough TN white male votes, and form a coalition to win. Basically, take Blackburn down with a candidate like Trump, except a democrat, and have a combo of indirect sexism, social conservatism, and economic left wing positions, along with being male, to take Blackburn out of the senate in 2022. Essentially, even if a democrat did this in tn, they likely would not lose much of the female vote in state, and possibly draw enough tn white male voters with his rhetoric to form a winning coalition. What do yall think? Could this work, and is it ethical? I think it is ethical, anything to take down Marsha Blackburn besides violence, that is never ok.
This reminds me of that atlas post saying democrats should run a race baiting campaign against Tim Scott.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »

YES!PLEASE!

seriously, he could win. I am making a county map now!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies