Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:20:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now  (Read 3839 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:59:08 AM »
« edited: September 12, 2017, 09:54:47 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen of England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

I come before you tonight, full with the spirit of the hour, jaw-set in the knowledge of what lies ahead, to announce my candidacy for the presidency of Atlasia in the coming election.

It is sixteen months passed since last I placed my name before the nation in contest of the highest office. In those months, I have many a time being asked to make the fight once more; each time, I resisted. I had other work to do, in other quarters where I was more useful to my country and my fellow citizens; I did not wish to abandon this work in order to seek promotion when there were other wise and capable men and women ready to make the charge. I have, you see, always believed that it is the service one gives to one’s country, and not the grandness of the titles one receives in return, that are the true mark of statesmanship; I can only hope that I have lived up to this principle in my time here.

Yet now, as I observe the affairs of state, and consider my place in them, I am convinced the time has come to make the fight again. Our nation and the world with it now stand precariously balanced on the cliff of possibility; it is indispensable that we have in this hour a chief executive who is not only capable and active, but who knows intimately the rigors and hardships of leadership; who has weathered the storm, fought the battle against longest odds, and again and again survived the killing fires to fly forth reborn, stronger and wiser.

For two years — two long, trying, joyful, heartbreaking years — have I been employed in the service of my country. I was there in 2015 when apathy on the one hand and malice on the other threatened to destroy our republic from within. I was there in 2016 when partisan bloodlust and bad laws put our constitution to the test. I was there in 2017, when the western states were plunged into lawless anarchy by the thoughtless neglect of their representatives. Time and again, in the hour of crisis, I have stood on the front lines, upheld against the odds the principles of our republic with stoic competence. As a legislator for my region; as senator for the nation at-large; as president of the Constitutional Convention; as an officer of the cabinet; as prime minister of the western commonwealth; and indeed, as President of the Republic of Atlasia; I have shown time and again that I possess the courage to make hard choices, the vision to guide a nation, and the ability to see it through that are absolutely indispensable in a head of state. Popularity and pretty words are easy to come by; I offer something more — the unshakable, loyal company of results.

As senator and presiding office of the Constitutional Convention, I promised to renew our national institutions and rebuild the republic from the ground up — and I did. As Secretary of State, I promised to make foreign policy matter and confront challenges before they became crises — and I did. As president, I pledged to reform the executive branch, fight for activity at all levels of government, and uphold the integrity of the constitution — and I did. As Prime Minister for Fremont, I promised to restore activity and prosperity to the western region — and I did. Never once have I broken a promise, and never once have I gone back on my word. I have shown myself consistently committed to the principles of good governance, bipartisan leadership, and honest administration. These are the principles and experience that I will take with me into the White House on November 3.

What, then, will a Truman presidency look like? Upon this foundation of active, honest, and capable leadership, I make you the following solemn promises:

We are going to make foreign policy matter again. That it took the threat of all-out nuclear armageddon to rouse Nyman from its stupor is a disgrace and an embarrassment to our country. Thankfully, the State Department has now acted to address the crisis, and fondly do we hope that their efforts may be successful; but in truth, it should never have come to this. This emergency was completely unnecessary; it is the result of months of neglect and deliberate ignorance by politicians at every level of government, and it must be torn up by the roots at first expediency.

From my tenure as Secretary of State, which was described by Laborites and Federalists alike as among the most successful in recent memory, I know how to lead effectively on the world stage. My administration will address threats to our national interest proactively, and head on, rather than waiting for manageable difficulties to grow exponentially before acting. We will work closely with our allies, with the Russians, and with the Chinese to restore stability to the Pacific. We will rebuild our foreign policy apparatus by reinstating the National Security Council and finally completing the foreign policy review. We will negotiate a common market with Canada along the lines of the ABCMA adopted during my tenure in the State Department. We will support congressional legislation to address the humanitarian crisis in Iraq and Syria by the admission of (vetted) refugees from war-torn nations.

We are going to build an economy that works for everyone. Under my leadership, Fremont has seen a veritable explosion of economic growth, even as unemployment continues to rise in the rest of the nation. As president, I will bring the politics of prosperity to Nyman by supporting sensible and aggressive policies to put our nation back to work. I will introduce legislation to provide federal matching funds for a national high-speed rail network (AtlasRail). I will introduce legislation to implement a living wage based around the needs and resources of local communities, on the model of Fremont’s RWPA. I will fight for a progressive, pro-growth budget that cuts taxes for small businesses and middle class families while investing in education, job training, and infrastructure.

We are going to make Nyman work again. Since I left the White House, the executive branch — and especially the cabinet — has become a burial ground for good intentions. There have been good presidents and cabinet officers in that time, to be sure : Fhtagn was an exceptional Secretary of Internal Affairs, for instance, and I’m encouraged by the recent activity of Secretary of State Snowguy. In general, however, the cabinet is a mess. The National Archivist effectively ceased to exist months ago. The previous SoIA did absolutely nothing beyond starting an office thread. Meanwhile, the Department of Federal Elections continues to be burdened by the legislative catastrophe that is the Federal Elections Act, which is quite possibly the worst law ever signed by a president as far as rhetorical coherence is concerned. Some in Nyman seem to believe that we can solve this problem by rearranging the deck chairs and issuing a few vague comments about “activity;” but I, and I believe the nation, know that much more is necessary. We need a president who will overhaul the entire executive branch, purge failed policies and bad habits, and establish once and for all that the cabinet is more than just a bunch of people “writing fanfiction about their heroic efforts for Middle East peace.”

In the days and weeks to come, I will lay out my platform in greater detail — not only what policies I will (and will not) support, but a blueprint for how my administration will operate. Until then, may the liberty of our republic never perish in the face of adversity.

Harry S Truman
Candidate for President
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:58 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 06:39:55 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

Foreign Policy • A New Common Market with Canada • Minimum Wage • Infrastructure • Gun Control

THE TICKET

FOR PRESIDENT
Harry S Truman
Prime Minister of Fremont
Attorney General of Atlasia

16 Jan 2017 - 13 Feb 2017
  Governor of Fremont
06 Dec 2016 - 03 Mar 2017
  Secretary of the Interior
04 Nov 2016 - 27 Nov 2016
  39th President of Atlasia
27 Jul 2016 - 04 Nov 2016
  Secretary of State
17 May 2016 - 13 Jun 2016
  PPT of the Senate
04 Sep 2015 - 13 Jun 2016
  Senator At-Large
09 Nov 2015 - 13 May 2016
  Presiding Officer of the ConCon
13 Oct 2015 - 09 Nov 2015
  Deputy P.O. of the ConCon
04 Jun 2015 - 04 Sep 2015
  Speaker of the ME Assembly
27 Mar 2015 - 04 Sep 2015
  Mideast Representative

FOR VICE PRESIDENT
A. Scott
Senator for Lincoln
President Pro Tempore of the Senate

Apr 2014 - Aug 2014
  Emperor of the South
25 Oct 2012 - 27 June 2013
  Governor of the Northeast
02 Mar 2012 - 25 October 2012
  Senator for the Northeast

ENDORSEMENTS
Representative Vivaportugalhabs (Labor Party - Fremont)
Representative Peebs (Labor Party - South)
Delegate Reagan Clinton (Federalist Party - Lincoln) in the primary [Statement]
Senator Henry Wallace (Labor Party - Fremont)
Speaker of the Commons Kamala (PRDC - Fremont)
MFP Pericles (Labor Party - Fremont)
Senator R2D2 (Independent - Lincoln)
Former President Adam Griffin (Labor Party - Fremont)
House Majority Leader J. Gibson (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Speaker of the Assembly Lok (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Representative Illiniwek (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Former Vice President Kalwejt (Labor Party - Fremont)
Former Representative One J. (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Former Councilor Wulfric (Independent - Fremont) for 2nd preference
Lt. Governor KYC (Independent - Lincoln)

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:11:38 AM »

The problem with making foreign policy matter does not stem from the fact that administration officials, "dropped the ball on anything". It comes from the fact that the average citizen/player of the game just does not focus on those issues.

It is entirely the product of the Game Moderator's performance and the simple fact is that unless the Game Moderate is active, responsive and realistic, the whole system collapses. Assuming the Game Moderator is so, the problem then becomes getting people to pay attention to the Game Moderator. As someone who has joke about "being ignored", I would expected you would appreciate that situation. But why let a little personal experience get in the way of a good narrative. Tongue

The reason it requires almost getting into WW3 is not so that the administration will take notice (and I will note that since Fhtagn has taken office she has been focused on foreign policy from day one). It requires almost getting into World War 3 for the people to pay attention to foreign policy and read the GM thread.

Many do not know this, though you would Truman because you were on my NSC, but we almost went to war with Turkey when I was President. And avoiding that was a very difficult process, first off because of the situation at hand, but second of all because you don't know what basis or information the Game Moderator is basing his actions off of. Real life calculations based on power dynamics and economic interest therefore do not apply. There is a long history of GM's going too far and being ignored or forced to cancel said events. It is very easy to talk about "bad policies" or "improving relations" in the abstract, but this fails to acknowledge that whole world of foreign policy is dictated by what the Game Moderator throws your way, and this aspect of Game Moderation based on foreign crises whether it be with Turkey, or North Korea is new, and therefore uncharted ground for both the administration (be it mine or Fhtagn's) and the Game Moderator. If the GM wants a crisis to escalate, it will escalate regardless of whether or not you are "proactive".

And it is not something you can legislate or reform your way into. I have seen dozens of amendments and laws trying to structure the Game Moderator in a certain way and almost all of them have failed. The only way such a crisis system is fleshed out, is through experience and that is going to be messy the first time it plays out (Turkey really didn't play out for a variety of reasons).

Finally, as you have stated, you have served in cabinets. You have been in every cabinet since you left the Presidency. You were my Secretary of the Interior, you were DFW's, Goldwaters, and as far as I know, you still are Fhtagn's Attorney General.

If you thought these administrations were incompetent, why didn't you resign? Did you inform Dfw of your displeasure at the abolition of the NSC, which you served on? As someone with your vast experience as President and Secretary of State, and serving as the incumbent Attorney General, did you offer to assist President Fhtagn when she inherited this crisis? I mean after all, we almost went to the brink of World War III did we not, surely someone with your talents the next office over would offer them to avoid Armageddon?

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »

I did not resign from the cabinet, Yankee, because that would have accomplished nothing. "Resigning in protest" is a stupid, short-sighted, counter-productive policy when one's goal is to make the cabinet and the executive branch more active. What would removing myself from office have done, besides ensuring that there was one fewer active cabinet officers in Nyman? I did indeed tell DFW (among others) that I disapproved of the abolition of the NSC, though unfortunately I did not save the logs for that conversation. I notice you haven't resigned from Congress in spite of the fact that many of your fellow representatives are doing their jobs poorly.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I did write to Fhtagn shortly after she inherited the presidency and offered to do what I could to help resolve the North Korean crisis. As of this writing, we have already exchanged several PMs on the matter. That offer still stands, incidentally; I will continue to do what I can to help the administration on this issue, no matter what disagreements we may have on other issues.*

I am well aware of the difficulties of crafting foreign policy, having as you say served on the NSC since my tenure as SoS and as president. The ability and responsiveness of the GM is certainly one of those difficulties; yet I do not believe one can honestly leave the entire burden of competent foreign policy on the GM's doorstep. Success in foreign policy does require assertiveness from the administration and proactive communication with the GM, and while I'm very pleased that Fhtagn seems to have realized this, it really is six months too late. I managed to lead a successful State Department and raise public awareness for foreign affairs without pushing us to the brink of nuclear war; it is not impossible. Abolishing the NSC, failing to bring the Foreign Policy Review before Congress, and allowing the SoS's thread to go inactive were unforced errors that eroded much of the progress we made under Leinad, Blair, and yourself.

Thanks for the comments — at the very least, I'm glad someone bothered to read that wall of text all the way through. Tongue

*As a side note, since apparently there was some miscommunication on this point, I do not blame Fhtagn for the situation in North Korea. When she assumed office, the gears were already in motion, and she has had to scramble to get the situation under control. I only wish her predecessors had done more to control the narrative before it got to this point.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »

Endorsed. Through the years I've had the pleasure of working with Truman, one of the most dedicated, knowledgeable, experienced, and effective members of Atlasia and I'm proud to stand with him in his campaign.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »

Endorsed. Through the years I've had the pleasure of working with Truman, one of the most dedicated, knowledgeable, experienced, and effective members of Atlasia and I'm proud to stand with him in his campaign.
Thank-you very much, Mr. Representative!
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »

Endorsed. I swear, I'm still running.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

Endorsed. I swear, I'm still running.
Okay then. Thanks (good luck?)!
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »

wtf is going on
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »

While I rarely, if ever, switch endorsements during an election, this time is more important than ever that was have a competent, hardworking Commander in Chief who will spur much-needed activity in this game.  Truman has been an excellent statesman and steward for the many jobs he's held since my return to the game.  As such, I proudly endorse Harry S. Truman for the Presidency of the Republic of Atlasia.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »

While I rarely, if ever, switch endorsements during an election, this time is more important than ever that was have a competent, hardworking Commander in Chief who will spur much-needed activity in this game.  Truman has been an excellent statesman and steward for the many jobs he's held since my return to the game.  As such, I proudly endorse Harry S. Truman for the Presidency of the Republic of Atlasia.
Thank you very, very much Senator!
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

Mr. Prime Minister, we've worked well together in Fremont, and I hope we can continue our partnership and cooperation on the national stage. Truman for President!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:56 PM »

Thank you, Senator!

Mr. Prime Minister, we've worked well together in Fremont, and I hope we can continue our partnership and cooperation on the national stage. Truman for President!
As do I — thanks!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »

Friends, statesmen, and citizens—

I am pleased this evening to welcome as good a man and as loyal a servant of the people as may be found in this country — Senator Scott of Lincoln — who I present to you as the nation's choice for the next Vice President of the Republic. Having served his region admirably in the Senate, having presided ably over that body as president pro tempore, he has shown himself on countless occasions a wise and honest champion of our republican values. It is a privilege to make this campaign with him; and should we be so honored as to receive the mandate of the people this October, I can say with fullest confidence that he will perform the duties of the vice president with dignity.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »

Are trying to cripple the Senate? Tongue
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

Endorsed. You are a great leader in Fremont and will be a great leader in Atlasia. You are the President for our time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »

Endorsed. You are a great leader in Fremont and will be a great leader in Atlasia. You are the President for our time.
Thanks very much, Mr. MP!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »

Well, you guys have forced me out of the race in a matter of hours. Scott and Mike Wells are two of my closest friends in Atlasian politics, and I could not compete with either of them, let alone both of them.

I am closing down my Presidential exploratory committee and endorsing the Truman/Scott ticket.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2017, 11:16:25 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Prime Minister and Representative Truman, I thank you for the confidence and trust you have placed in me.  I am honored to be chosen as your running mate.  And I will be honored to serve alongside the next President of the Republic of Atlasia.

You know, the game's always had a place in my heart.  It enticed me into registering at this forum in the summer of 2011.  I first held office later that year, after being elected to fill a vacant seat in what was the old Northeast Assembly.  There I eventually worked my way up to Speaker, then Senator, and then Governor.  After my time in the Northeast, I moved down South and was elected Emperor.  After a two-year hiatus, I came back and have served the great region of Lincoln in the Atlasian Senate since then.  Since June, I have been leading the Senate in my capacity as PPT.

No doubt the game has evolved in many different ways.  We've been through good times and bad.  Right now, the game faces a crisis of inactivity, and the sad fact is that the last two administrations were marked by abysmal activity in the executive branch.

This must change.  We need an executive who will lead from the front on all issues.  Let's craft a coherent foreign policy.  Let's ensure that we have an active cabinet.  Let's have an executive team that will be part of the legislative process rather than detached from it.

Today I am proud to join a ticket that stands for activity and dedication.  Harry Truman and I will deliver an agenda, and an administration, that works.  For the next several weeks, we will be spreading our message to every corner of the country.  Join our campaign, and help our country to elect a great statesman in Prime Minister and Representative Harry S. Truman.  The time is now!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 11:11:56 PM »

Well, you guys have forced me out of the race in a matter of hours. Scott and Mike Wells are two of my closest friends in Atlasian politics, and I could not compete with either of them, let alone both of them.

I am closing down my Presidential exploratory committee and endorsing the Truman/Scott ticket.
Thank you very much, Senator — it's an honor to have the confidence of so distinguished a statesman, and we will endeavor to be worthy of it.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »

The NSC was and is stupid, that's why I abolished it
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »

Well, I disagree. Under Presidents Blair and Yankee, the NSC successfully made foreign policy and foreign affairs a central feature in the game that involved people from a wide array of backgrounds and perspectives. Foreign policy has historically been neglected in Atlasia in no small part because it is, at best, a three-way conversation between the president, the Secretary of State, and the GM; the NSC broke that trichotomy and brought everyone from hawks and neocons to libertarians to the table.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »

Well, I disagree. Under Presidents Blair and Yankee, the NSC successfully made foreign policy and foreign affairs a central feature in the game that involved people from a wide array of backgrounds and perspectives. Foreign policy has historically been neglected in Atlasia in no small part because it is, at best, a three-way conversation between the president, the Secretary of State, and the GM; the NSC broke that trichotomy and brought everyone from hawks and neocons to libertarians to the table.
All you have to do is individually pm people to get individual opinions
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »

All you have to do is individually pm people to get individual opinions
It's not the singular opinions themselves that provide the greatest value, but the engagement of large groups of people in pursuit of a common goal. We conduct congressional debates in public, rather than having senators and representatives mail their votes to the VP, for the same reason. The process is just as, if not more, important as the result.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies