Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:16:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now  (Read 3865 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »

The Atlasian System

CASCA     Cassius, what night is this?
CASSIUS     A very pleasing night, for honest men.

Working People.
It's time to pass the local living wage.

For decades, Nyman has ignored the needs of working people and local communities alike by imposing a top-down, one-size-fits-all national minimum wage. The result is that, much of the time, the minimum wage does not keep up with the cost of living; meanwhile, rural communities are penalized by policies that fix wages at rates inappropriate for their economies.

My administration would abolish this broken model in favor of a flexible minimum wage indexed to the cost of living in each county. Under the new system, the federal minimum wage would vary from $9.00 to $12.50 an hour based on locality – ensuring the needs of communities both urban and rural are met.

It’s a bold idea — and it works. Since becoming the first region to adopt the local living wage this Spring, Fremont has consistently led the nation in per capita employment and job creation even as the national debt crisis and the threat (now reality) of war in the Pacific have fueled a nationwide hike in unemployment.

Infrastructure.
It's time to make AtlasRail a reality.

Politicians and presidential contenders from both parties have been talking about infrastructure for well over a year now — but at the federal level, at least, they have very little to show for it. In spite of reams of posts, plans, and draft proposals, AtlasRail remains unbuilt, and it has been left to the regions to shore up our nation’s crumbling infrastructure.

This must change. As prime minister for Fremont, I spearheaded efforts to introduce trans-regional high speed rail in my region, knitting our commonwealth closer together and creating quite a few jobs along the way. As president, I will introduce legislation to provide federal matching funds for AtlasRail and will work to coordinate regional governments to make the vision for a pan-regional rail network a reality.

Of course, all these promises have been made before — in Congress and in the White House by Federalists and Laborites alike. The difference is that I, unlike these others, have a proven record of getting the job done on infrastructure. Nobody need take my word for it that I mean what I saw; look instead to the example I set in Fremont, where we are laying the groundwork for a modern transportation system months ago, with great results.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

The Right to Bear Arms
It is time for a sensible gun control movement.

Our Constitution guarantees to each citizen the right to keep and bear arms. This, I think, is a good thing — in principle. If you follow the rules and obey the law, you ought to be able to protect yourself from the people who don't.

With that said, it is abundantly clear to anyone who pays the thinnest shred of attention that our nation is not doing nearly enough to keep dangerous weapons from falling into the wrong hands. The tragic incident at Las Vegas on Sunday is only the latest example of this epidemic.

As president, I will propose a comprehensive gun reform bill to attack the problem of gun violence on three fronts. First, we will require all gun owners to pass a basic proficiency test to demonstrate their ability to handle a firearm safely and responsibly. Second, we will bar the sale of deadly weapons to criminals, suspected terrorists, and the mentally ill. Third, we will place a tax on high-capacity magazines, the revenue derived from which will be used to care for the victims of gun violence.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2017, 07:26:49 AM by President fhtagn »

Second, we will bar the sale of deadly weapons to criminals, suspected terrorists, and the mentally ill.

So strip someone of their rights without due process?

Using your logic here, if they're so untrustworthy, why not just go ahead and throw them in jail? I mean, it's for the safety of the people, right?

You'd think our AG would have more sense than this.

Edit: It is also worth noting, that your proposals for gun reform would have done nothing to stop what happened in Las Vegas from happening.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »

Second, we will bar the sale of deadly weapons to criminals, suspected terrorists, and the mentally ill.

Using your logic here, if they're so untrustworthy, why not just go ahead and throw them in jail? I mean, it's for the safety of the people, right?

Meaning persons on the terrorist watch list; I would remind the president that these individuals have already been "stripped" of certain rights because they are considered by national security officials to pose a clear and present danger to the safety of law-abiding citizens. The comparison to sending someone to jail without trial is frankly absurd; not being able to buy an assault rifle is hardly the same thing as serving a prison sentence for a crime one did not commit.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »

This policy would be massively illegal. The constitution says the federal government cannot deny "life, liberty, or property without due process." Amendment V. Whenever restrictions on the liberties of "particular individuals is made by a non-legislative body based on the individual facts and circumstances of a particular case, the decision becomes adjudicative in nature, and due process protections attach." Londoner v. Denver,  210 U.S. 373 (1908). While due process does not always require a full trial, at minimum due process requires that the affected party be given notice and an oportunity to comment. Goldberg v Kelly, 397 U.S. 254, (1970). Any adjudicative act where a citizen's constitutional liberties are restrlcted by force of law requires MINIMAL due process; in such adjudication, the "failure to give notice and hearing is a violation of due process." Nelson v. Adams, 529 US 460 (2000).

The "no-fly list" is a secretive list of names  (not identities) which federal law enforcement compiles during the course of investigations. Placing names on a racist list does not require probable cause or any sort of preliminary investigation. Even requiring the barest of reasonableness would have prevented former "no-fly list" member Ted Kennedy from being placed upon it. But again, no cause is required, even though individualized penalties flow from such placement. Needless to say, federal law enforcement does not provide notice nor opportunity of persons with listed names to comment, even though penalties attach from such placement. This is understandable, as notice could tip a suspect off to an investigation and undermine future surveillance. However, as a constitutional right is being stripped by denying such persons their Amendment II rights, minimal due process IS required. So either you require notice and comment (at minimum, although a mechanism for removal would likely also be required) to comply with constitutional due process requirements thereby undermining terrorism investigations, or you stop trying to politicize this tragedy by pushing an illegal law that would not have prevented any tragedy,  just so you can be like Ralph Wiggum and say "I'm helping" while doing nothing of the sort.

As Attorney General you took an oath to defend the constitution. This proposed policy is inconsistent with the constitution and a free society generally. Please either retract your support of it or resign. If this policy were somehow implemented, I vow to take a class action of affected persons all the way to the Supreme Court on due process grounds ... and I'd win. The Attorney General should be a champion of the law, not a butcher of it. Suspending the constitutional rights of large classes of citizens by fiat is a mockery of justice. Shame on you.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »

Meaning persons on the terrorist watch list; I would remind the president that these individuals have already been "stripped" of certain rights because they are considered by national security officials to pose a clear and present danger to the safety of law-abiding citizens. The comparison to sending someone to jail without trial is frankly absurd; not being able to buy an assault rifle is hardly the same thing as serving a prison sentence for a crime one did not commit.

I don't think you realize how easy it is for an average, harmless, law-abiding citizen to accidentally end up on the terrorist watch list. Most of these ways happen to not require any proof of actual wrongdoing,  and often times are not a reliable means of stopping actual terrorists.

So what you are suggesting is potentially taking away someone's rights without any concrete proof that they are actually doing anything wrong, nor have proven they have expressed intent to do anything wrong.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »

I'd like to see President Fhtagn do this
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »

Admittedly this isn't something I'd do blindfolded.

That being said, I actually do support some gun control measures such as background checks and waiting periods, but I will not stand for any attempts at stripping someone's rights for bogus reasons that do nothing to stop mass shootings.

I also actually own a firearm and grew up knowing how to operate them, can the other candidates speaking on this issue say the same?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

Well, I'm glad we're debating the issues in this campaign, at any rate. All those unanimous votes and choruses of Kumbaya were starting to get to me. Tongue

The calls for my removal from the Justice Department are adorable, but I'm not going to resign. If the president wishes to sack her Attorney General because he holds a dissenting political opinion, she is of course free to do so.

Now, to the meat of the matter:
I don't think you realize how easy it is for an average, harmless, law-abiding citizen to accidentally end up on the terrorist watch list. Most of these ways happen to not require any proof of actual wrongdoing,  and often times are not a reliable means of stopping actual terrorists.
Then we offer an amendment to tighten the standards and require proof of actual wrongdoing or contact with terrorist groups for an individual to be placed on the new list. I'm not a missionary; I am quite willing to compromise with Congress to address concerns regarding due process and verity while still addressing the need to protect our national security. What I am not willing to do is accept the premise that an individual is too dangerous to be allowed to fly on an airplane, because we're afraid they might blow it up, but perfectly safe to own an automatic weapon. Unless, of course, you're promoting the abolition of the terrorist watch list altogether — but that's an entirely different debate.

I also actually own a firearm and grew up knowing how to operate them, can the other candidates speaking on this issue say the same?
I can, actually. Admittedly, I would not be able to put one together while blindfolded either. Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »

What I am not willing to do is accept the premise that an individual is too dangerous to be allowed to fly on an airplane, because we're afraid they might blow it up, but perfectly safe to own an automatic weapon.

(Incorrect word usage which renders your entire comment false.)
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

With that said, it is abundantly clear to anyone who pays the thinnest shred of attention that our nation is not doing nearly enough to keep dangerous weapons from falling into the wrong hands. The tragic incident at Las Vegas on Sunday is only the latest example of this epidemic.

As president, I will propose a comprehensive gun reform bill to attack the problem of gun violence on three fronts. First, we will require all gun owners to pass a basic proficiency test to demonstrate their ability to handle a firearm safely and responsibly. Second, we will bar the sale of deadly weapons to criminals, suspected terrorists, and the mentally ill. Third, we will place a tax on high-capacity magazines, the revenue derived from which will be used to care for the victims of gun violence.

It's disingenuous to use the Las Vegas shooting to justify further gun control measures when your proposed measures have nothing to do with the circumstances of the actual shooting and would not prevent similar events in the future. The shooter was not a criminal, suspected terrorist, or mentally ill, and would have easily passed a proficiency test.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »

The Time is Now

We are ticking away the hours before the opening of the polls; fewer than seven now separate us from the election. This is no time for cowardice or delicate hearts; this is a time for bold leadership in the form of pompous and unreadably long-winded closing arguments. Fortunately, this is an art I excel in!

I am in this race because I believe, after ten months of Federalist administrations in the White House, the time has come to make a change. For all you may have heard of the supposed sameness overtaking the two major parties, this weekend's vote presents a very real choice to the people of the republic. There are real differences of experience and vision to be decided, and while I am honored to face three worthy opponents on the ballot, I sincerely believe Senator Scott and myself are uniquely equipped to weather the battles to come.

We need a president who will pass the local living wage; who will at long last make AtlasRail a reality; who will bring Canada into the Common Market once more; who will act to keep firearms out of the hands of felons and terrorists; who will press for measures to confront climate change; who will balance the budget and be a voice in Nyman for the working people. For all this, we cannot afford to wait; there comes a time (as Shakespeare said) "which taken at the flood leads on to fortune," and that time is now.

My fellow citizens, I ask for your support this weekend — safe in the knowledge that all of you together are far wiser than I, and no matter how, will certainly see our country to brighter shores.

I am, your humble servant,

Harry S Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:52 AM »

Countrymen,   
My heart doth joy that yet in all my life   
I found no man but he was true to me.
I shall have glory by this losing day   
More than Octavius and Mark Antony   
By this vile conquest shall attain unto.
So fare you well at once; for Brutus' tongue
Hath almost ended his life's history:
Night hangs upon mine eyes; my bones would rest,   
That have but labour'd to attain this hour.

Well, it's been fun. I can honestly say that this was not the end we had hoped for; yet just as honestly I say too, that I am not any more unhappy for the result. I have endeavored, in this campaign, to do always what I thought was right and just; to do, as once the Scottish prince recalled, "what may become a man; he who does more is none."

I congratulate the president on her reelection, and offer her my warmest well-wishes for a successful term. I likewise offer my heartfelt thanks to my company among the vanquished: to LLR and especially to Lumine, who remains a dear friend of mine and with whom I have had the pleasure of collaborating for more than two years. It has been an honor to face these weighty opponents, and I only hope I have been worthy company.

There are many things which I might say tonight, but I will suffice with one final expression of gratitude to those who have stood by me these past months and years: to Blair, to Henry, to Kamala, to Ted, to Poirot, to my friends and colleagues in Fremont, and to all those who trusted me with their votes in this election and those before it.

Gentlemen, ladies, it has been a pleasure.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies