Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Truman for President • Scott for Vice President : The Time is Now  (Read 3838 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »

I came all the way here from the catacombs just to say "endorsed!"
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »

This ticket is my pick for Labor's endorsement for the Presidency.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:13 AM »

Now that the Peb!/Wells ticket is no more, I hereby endorse this ticket for the upcoming election.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!!!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »

I came all the way here from the catacombs just to say "endorsed!"

This ticket is my pick for Labor's endorsement for the Presidency.

Now that the Peb!/Wells ticket is no more, I hereby endorse this ticket for the upcoming election.

Thanks, y'all!
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »

I proudly endorse both of you. Cheesy
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

Thanks, Mr. Representative-emeritus!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »

Statement
As the citizens of a free nation, we can naught but be appalled by the reports of secret simony that now muddies the waters of the Federalist primary campaign. No matter what parties or factions may divide us, this school of cloakroom bribery — if true — is anathema to our values and to the principles on which the republic is founded. I will not presume to instruct the Federalist leadership on this matter, but I hope and trust that action has been taken to ensure the issue of the party's presidential nomination is decided by merit and merit alone.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2017, 06:11:55 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

On Foreign Policy

O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!

What is to become of our country in this brilliant and uncertain season?

It is a common thread at this ambitious time of year to hear politicians aspirant bemoan the state of inactivity as if seeing it for the first time, and to paper the boards with reams of planned reforms to cure the republic of her fatal curse. They fill the streets, these chameleons, with cries for secession, or confederacy, or a return to unicameralism — ideas with all the virginity of a Greek deity, and all the brilliance of an Athenian mechanical. They would have all of us believe that all our problems may be written away with the stroke of a pen; that words alone can heal a rift torn by actions.

This is nonsense. If there is one thing the last two years have proved, it is this: no matter how cleverly we weave our constitutions, no matter how ingeniously we craft our laws, the game must be played. The solution, then, to what malaise their is in Nyman and in the regions, is not the constant shuffling of our constitutional furniture, but the creation of new and engaging opportunities for citizens to become involved in the affairs of state.

For years, foreign policy has been an untapped reservoir of such opportunity. We have seen, on what few occasions as a president has brought world affairs into the center of their administration, how great this potential is. Such executives as Lumine, Blair, and Yankee not only attended to foreign affairs — they made them matter, by erecting around them an apparatus of diplomats, lawmakers, and narrators who made the struggle real and difficult and worthwhile. Rather than sending the Secretary of State off to their office to write fanfiction about the Pax Atlantis, they brought more people into the room; engaged with the Game Moderator, with the Congress, and with the public to make foreign policy really matter. This we have failed to do in the last six months; this we must do to realize the promise of the Reformation.

I have pledged, as a candidate, to make foreign policy matter again. To do so requires action on three fronts: first, to restore and expand our diplomatic apparatus; second, to engage with the Game Moderator to make diplomacy realistic and rewarding; third, to demand Congressional action on foreign affairs by pressing the Senate to ratify treaties, aggressively vet diplomats, and — when necessary — consider seriously declarations of war.

I. Rebuilding our Diplomatic Apparatus. The abolition of the National Security Council and the failure to submit the Foreign Policy Review to Congress were unforced disasters that decimated our State Department and conceived a status quo where only the threat of nuclear war could awaken Nyman from its slumber. This was a bad mistake, plain and simple, and it must not be repeated after the present crisis is passed. I am pleased to see that, after months of argument by myself and others, the White House has at last restored the National Security Council; it is now for the next president to ensure that this opportunity is not wasted.

My administration will restore the NSC as a forum for foreign policy decision making, involving veteran hands and aspiring young diplomats to maximize engagement in world affairs — not just in times of crisis, but all the year round. We will finally complete and submit to Congress the Foreign Policy Review, something the State Department was to have done months ago, so that Congress and the public may freely and openly debate our foreign policy.

II. A Precarious World. Meetings and committee hearings can only go so far, however; a robust foreign policy requires that the president actually go out to try and do something in the world, rather than remaining passively seated, reacting only when all opportunities for evasion have been exhausted. Never again can we allow ourselves to loose the plot on foreign policy.

ON KOREA: I have made no secret of my distaste for the way past administrations have handled this threat, nor of my opinion that the war we now face was completely unnecessary. After months of inaction on the issue, time that allowed instability and the threat of violence to fester unanswered on the Korean Peninsula, the previous president plunged us face-first into war, then skipped town. This was an unforced error, and it very nearly ended in nuclear war; this must never happen again.

I will be frank with you: the deal with China that averted (for now) the threat of World War III is an ugly compromise. It does no-one any good, however, to sit down in the mud and cry over the unfairness of it all. This is the world we find ourselves in, and we must play the cards we're dealt as best we can.

Therefore, the next president must make the following commitments on the Korean issue. First, we must win the war: quickly, completely, and honestly. Second, we must hold China accountable: any deviation from the terms of the deal — any threat of force against ourselves or our allies, or attempts to restrict the freedom of the seas, or efforts to manipulate international trade — will be considered an act of aggression and will free us from any obligation to abide by its terms.

ON BURMA: We will call the actions by the Burmese military against the Rohingya minority for what it is: a barbaric act of cruelty that is fast approaching genocide. If the Burmese government refuses to act on this question, then we will employ all the tools of peace to make them feel the weight of their error, working with our allies in the region and around the world to impose sanctions and provide asylum for refugees.

ON CANADA: After months on the back burner, we will revive negotiations for a common market with Canada, on the model of the treaty with the United Kingdom negotiated during my tenure as Secretary of State.

ON ISRAEL: For all the obstacles that have been thrown in its path, a two-state solution remains the best course forward. This means not only acknowledging the legitimacy of Palestinian grievances, but affirming our commitment to Israel's security and condemning the BDS "movement" for what it is: anti-semitism by another name.

ON VENEZEULA: We will bring new and harsher sanctions against the Maduro government for their illegal efforts to stifle dissent and prop up their regime with a brutal police state founded upon fear and violence.

TL;DR — Foreign policy is an untapped reservoir of activity, presenting an opportunity to engage dozens of people in a realistic and meaningful debate over our place in the world. To do this, we will (a) restore the NSC; (b) work with the GM and Congress to make negotiations realistic; and (c) work proactively to control events, not be controlled by them.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »

Ted wrote fanfiction about Seinfeld, fyi
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »

So Kramer is to blame for the nuclear war. Everything makes sense now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »

I should point out that President Fhtagn's decision to restore the NSC had nothing to do with you, Truman.  We found ourselves in a sudden crisis and needed an official way to deal with it.  I won't speak to your previous attempts to revive it prior to President Fhtagn taking office but not once in its formation were you or your desires discussed.

And as for the Foreign Policy Review... finishing it has been another priority of the NSC and it is very nearly done.

Credit where credit is due.  No credit where credit just don't.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2017, 06:43:57 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

I should point out that President Fhtagn's decision to restore the NSC had nothing to do with you, Truman.  We found ourselves in a sudden crisis and needed an official way to deal with it.  I won't speak to your previous attempts to revive it prior to President Fhtagn taking office but not once in its formation were you or your desires discussed.
My apologies – I did not mean to imply that I had somehow "convinced" the president to act, though after a second reading I can see how it came off that way. I've corrected the relevant sentences to be more clear and avoid taking credit for decisions I obviously did not make.

The point I intended to make was that the NSC is an indispensable part of our foreign policy apparatus (especially now, as you and the president have said previously), which is why I've long supported bringing it back. I'm glad the president and I are in agreement on this issue; I only wish her predecessors had acted sooner.

And as for the Foreign Policy Review... finishing it has been another priority of the NSC and it is very nearly done.
Glad to hear it Smiley — though considering it's been almost eight (nine?) months in the making, I hope you'll forgive me for being a little impatient. Tongue
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 07:17:25 PM »

"« Last Edit: Today at 06:11:55 pm by Prime Minister Truman »"

Why cover things up with edits you acknowledged and apologized? Tongue

Not a huge deal, but just leaving the original mistake would be better, no? Because now it's almost like you're trying to use a pencil eraser on pen ink. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »

"« Last Edit: Today at 06:11:55 pm by Prime Minister Truman »"

Why cover things up with edits you acknowledged and apologized? Tongue
Because the thing I wrote is not the thing I meant to say? If I had written "National Squirrel Council" instead of "National Security Council," I hardly think it would have been a service to the voters to leave the error in. Tongue

Though come to think of it, a National Squirrel Council will be fun. I'll have to remember that if I ever decide on running a joke campaign.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:15 AM »

I should point out that President Fhtagn's decision to restore the NSC had nothing to do with you, Truman.  We found ourselves in a sudden crisis and needed an official way to deal with it.  I won't speak to your previous attempts to revive it prior to President Fhtagn taking office but not once in its formation were you or your desires discussed.
My apologies – I did not mean to imply that I had somehow "convinced" the president to act, though after a second reading I can see how it came off that way. I've corrected the relevant sentences to be more clear and avoid taking credit for decisions I obviously did not make.

The point I intended to make was that the NSC is an indispensable part of our foreign policy apparatus (especially now, as you and the president have said previously), which is why I've long supported bringing it back. I'm glad the president and I are in agreement on this issue; I only wish her predecessors had acted sooner.

Glad to hear it Smiley — though considering it's been almost eight (nine?) months in the making, I hope you'll forgive me for being a little impatient. Tongue

Well we would have finished it last night, but instead we had certain guests who ran over scheduled time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

How rude of them! I can't imagine who that was.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »

How rude of them! I can't imagine who that was.

Well it wasn't Thomas E. Dewey.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

Derby Line, VT

Much has been written and said of our "special relationship" with the United Kingdom; less publicly lauded, but no less prized by our republic, is our close partnership with our neighbor to the north: Canada. Bound by common geography, united by common interest, moved by a similar history and values, our two countries have lived side by side in a state of unique harmony since the Atlasian Republic was proclaimed thirteen years ago. Nowhere is this happy friendship more proudly displayed than in the village of Derby Line, where a traffic sign and a line of flower pots are all that separate Atlasia from Canada to the north.

Yet for the last year and a half, Derby Line has suffered directly what the rest of Atlasia has felt only abstractly : the loss of the common market with Canada. This agreement, negotiated in 2013 under President Marokai Blue, began a golden age of Atlasian-Canadian relations, allowing citizens of our two countries to live freely on either side of the border and facilitating collaboration on a multitude of common challenges. Like the rest of the pre-2016 statute, this agreement was retired with the passage of the Fourth Constitution. While we can all agree the reset was a necessity, it is a profound misfortune that revival of the common market remains unaccomplished. It is high time we did something to change that.

It is time to bring back our common market with Canada. This was a prospect I actively pursued while serving as Secretary of State under President Leinad, until a month-long absence in the Game Moderator's office forced us to set the prospect aside. Instead, we signed ABCMA — a common market with the British similar to the old ACCMA passed under Marokai. This was a positive step forward for both nations; now we must take the next step and bring Canada into the fold.

Why bother? For the simple, oft overlooked, pivotal reason that expanding opportunities to engage with the game in new and interesting ways is always a benefit. Opening a common market costs the existing gameplay nothing — it would create no new offices, nor does it present an administrative gordian knot that must be constantly attended by a host of officers. What is does present is a legion of opportunities for innovative action: bilateral infrastructure projects, national security collaboration, a united front on trade and conservation — and, of course, an excuse to make new maps.

The time for a new common market is now — we have only to seize it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

That's nice an all, but could we like get some more timely responses to PMs regarding Congressional action on Korea before China wipes North America and likely Canada off the map?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:00 AM »

Endorsed for second preference
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »

Thank you, sir!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »

It is time to bring back our common market with Canada.

Good idea. I've waited months and months for it to be reinstated. I wanted to move back but stopped bothering and moved elsewhere.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »

Hello Harry S Truman a few questions that I hope you will be able to answer.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254287.100
1. What is your opinion of the recently passed health care reform bill? Are their any changes you would wish to make towards it? Would you be open to signing into law a universal signal payer healthcare bill if it came to your desk?

2. Would you support a bill to increase the federal minimum wage? If so to what amount? and would you support eliminating the tipped minimum wage?

3. How far should Atlasia go to erasing the Confederacy and eliminating the spread of hate speech? Should the Federal government sanction or criminalize know Neo Nazi or white supremacist groups  from spreading their hatred and racism?   

4. Would you support a nationally government  run utility company or insurance company such as we see in several other countries or has been previously proposed in the past? How would you work to keep insurance and utility costs low?

5. What steps would you take to fight back against increasing income inequality; ensuring greater affordability for many Atlasians? 
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »

Thank you very much for these questions, AZ — many of these are issues I intend to address in greater detail as the campaign progresses, and I'm glad to have further reason to discuss them!

(1) I believe the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act is a great step forward for our country; I supported it when it was introduced in Congress; and I think I speak for everyone when I say that Senator Scott deserves our praise and gratitude for his tireless efforts writing, negotiating, and arguing for this law. I also believe that healthcare is a right deserved by all, not a privilege reserved for an elite few. This belief stems from experiences in my own life outside the forum (that I won't be sharing on the internet Tongue), and while I consider myself a moderate man, I'm not willing to budge on that point.

My personal preference is for German-style universal healthcare, which affords to each citizen the necessities of high-quality medical care while affording the greatest liberty to individuals; with that said, the beauty of RRPHA is the freedom it gives to the regions, and I'm excited to see what my colleagues in Lincoln and the South produce.

(2) I'm really excited about this particular issue. As you I am sure know, efforts to strike a deal on the minimum wage fell apart last spring after the president's proposal (to vary the minimum wage by zip code) was rejected and Congress failed to produce an alternative plan. In Fremont, we stepped forward to fill the gap by passing legislation indexing the minimum wage to the cost of living in each county. This is better than the usual top down, one-size-fits-all approach often used by politicians on both sides, because it ensures the minimum wage is neither too low to support workers in costly urban centers nor too high to facilitate competition and growth in the rural hinterlands.

As president, I hope to introduce similar legislation to index the minimum wage to the cost of living, with an upward bound of $12.50 an hour; the regions would have the option of raising this limit, if they so choose. In this way, we ensure that every worker is afforded the dignity of a fair wage while providing for the needs of local communities and economic growth in all corners of the country.

(3) Look, I'm a history student, and there are a couple basic facts we need to get out of the way before we even begin to discuss the life and legacy of these monuments. First, the Civil War was definitely about slavery. The Confederate States of America was conceived by a rebellion of slaveholders who took up arms against their government for the express purpose of preserving the system of chattel slavery against the perceived threat of a Republican administration. We know this because they told us so; when those eleven Southern states seceded in 1861, each of them issued a public declaration of their grievances, and the right to own slaves was top of every list. Second, the war sparked a revolution in the hearts and minds of white Northerners that began as early as the spring of 1861, when Benjamin Butler declared de facto emancipation of the slaves as "contrabands of war" and culminated sixteen months later with the Emancipation Proclamation. From that point onward, the Union Army was effectively an abolition army, as contemporaries on both sides of the slavery debate recognized. Trying to make the Civil War out as something other than a war about slavery is ahistorical nonsense, and I have absolutely no patience for those who try to argue otherwise by drawing false equivalencies or confusing progress with perfection.

However, this does not mean that every Yankee was an angel, or that every Southerner was a devil. History is not, and should not be, the business of weighing souls. It is true and right that the Civil War advanced the cause of human liberty in the United States, and for that we should celebrate Lincoln and the Union. What we should not do is transform history into an exercise in self-righteous back slapping and/or a rose-tinted glass through which to justify or condemn the present.

I'll be honest with you: I don't like these monuments, I wouldn't have put them up, and I don't agree that removing a vaguely humanoid piece of rock somehow amounts to "erasing history." At the same time, I don't have a lot of patience for those who would make this out to be some cataclysmic battle for the purity of the soul of Atlasia, because it isn't. This is an issue that each community must decide for itself how to address appropriately and respectfully; and in that sense, I don't think the federal government should get involved. I do think it's important not to assume that everyone opposing the removal of these monuments is a racist, because that just isn't true. When it comes to actual fascist-wannabes and other fellow travelers, it is important to note the difference between peaceful citizens exercising their constitutional right to be stupid, racist idiots and those who commit crimes and kill people to advance their stupid, racist ideas. The latter group are criminals, plain and simple, and I have absolutely no problem using the power of the bully pulpit to condemn them as such and pound their horrible ideology into submission.

(4) I'm not entirely sure what this question is asking, to be honest (one could call AtlasCare a sort of state-run insurance company); but no, I do not support nationalizing the energy industry or any other quasi-Marxist collectivization scheme. I prefer to rely on private enterprise to fuel our nation's economy, and where government action is needed to 'save capitalism from itself,' I find tax incentives and other traditional forms of regulation quite sufficient.

(5) Well, the first and most obvious step I have already said: adopting a national living wage indexed to the local cost of living (No. 2) to provide a clear path out of poverty for those who are willing to work. I support full implementation of RRPHA (No. 1) to alleviate the exorbitant medical costs that burden many Atlasians, the fear of which inhibits growth by tying workers to big companies with benefits packages when they might otherwise be starting their own businesses and expanding the economy. We also need to invest in education, job training, and infrastructure — three areas that have been priorities of mine during my tenure as Prime Minister of Fremont. (This is where I point out that Fremont currently has the highest per capita rate of employment for any region in Atlasia, and has consistently since I took office.) In particular, I'd like to see Congress provide federal matching funds for AtlasRail, which we know from Fremont's experience is a great boon for job creation and productivity.

Well, I hope that wall of text was at least helpful. Tongue Thanks once again, and please let me know if there is anything more I can do!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies