Do you think the Democrats will win the House in 2018? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:16:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Do you think the Democrats will win the House in 2018? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think the Democrats will win the House in 2018?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Do you think the Democrats will win the House in 2018?  (Read 2826 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 12, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »

With the Republican retirements (that have already happened and will probably continue to happen), good Democratic recruits, and an unpopular Republican president, I think Democrats are slightly favored to retake the House.

I think a net pick-up of 10 seats is probably the floor for Democrats. Such a loss of seats would leave House Republicans in a very tough position given the divisions in their caucus.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »

What is the likelihood that, as in 2012, Democratic House candidates win the national popular vote, but fail to win a majority of the seats?

I'd say there's about a 54% chance that Dems win the popular vote and the House, a 45% chance that Democrats win the popular vote but not the House, and a 1% chance that Republicans win the popular vote and the House.

I can't see Jim Cooper sabotaging Democrats' House majority just because he has an axe to grind.

I don't think Cooper et. al would vote for a Republican, but they could definitely unseat Pelosi as the Democratic leader and/or force her to make policy promises. A similar situation happened in 1923 with progressive Republicans and Speaker Fredrick Gillett.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies