How to actually edit a map for congressional district?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  Talk Elections Q & A
  How To (Moderator: Virginiá)
  How to actually edit a map for congressional district?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to actually edit a map for congressional district?  (Read 1162 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:58 AM »

I know this has most likely been asked a million times, but I am wonder how to are actually able to edit maps of each congressional district and I am also wondering how you can change the amount of electoral votes there are per state. I am doing this for my alternate timeline I am working on
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:34 AM »

What's the context here?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:19 AM »

Are you referring to the Electoral College Calculator, and if so, when you speak of congressional districts, do you mean the NE/ME ones on there?

If so, make sure the "Display Results by Congressional District on Map" is checked and then edit the percentages/party for each CD in the box right above it, then click "Update Map and EV Totals":

As far as editing the code that can be extracted for forum posting by clicking the "Show Map Link", there are three numbers in the code for each state: party, electoral votes and shade.

So, in the instance of AL, it will appear by default as "&AL=2;9;6" - 2 indicates Republican (1 is Dem, 3 is "green", 4 is "yellow", etc), 9 indicates it has 9 electoral votes and 6 indicates the 60% shade of the first number you chose.

So if I wanted to make AL have 27 electoral votes and vote for the "green candidate" with >50% of the vote, I'd change those numbers to "&AL=3;27;5", as shown below:

With the exception of the ME/NE CD splits, however, there's no way to my knowledge to make CDs show up on the Electoral College Calculator. You can always use a program like MSPaint, Photoshop, GIMP, etc to color in congressional districts from other maps yourself if that is an issue.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »

I sometimes have edited in something like " 9/12 " as the EV count to show the winning party only got 9 of the 12 electoral votes.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:58 PM »

I tried editing the map link but I couldn't actually change the number or anything. So once you get the map link, how do you actually change the numbers in the link itself
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:01:39 AM »

I tried editing the map link but I couldn't actually change the number or anything. So once you get the map link, how do you actually change the numbers in the link itself

Once you've copied the map code from the calculator, all you should have to do is paste it into a thread/reply and edit the numbers within that before posting it.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:24 AM »

Oh okay thanks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies