Ontario General Election Prediction thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario General Election Prediction thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Ontario General Election Prediction thread  (Read 12377 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2018, 08:49:48 AM »

Well, I was well off, but I was expecting a better result from the NDP in the SW and North, and for a much better Liberal result overall.

Riding-wise, I was way off on thoughts that people like Del Duca and Naqvi can withstand the wave, and that NDP will hold on to more of the SW.  On the positive side, I correctly predicted some seats, such as Liberal wins in TBSN, Ottawa South and Scarborough Guildwood and PC wins in SSM.

All, in all not an unexpected result and certainly statistically the most probable one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »

Yup Wink

Y'all need to trust me more. I've been doing these prediction things since high school.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

I was quite a bit off on both predictions, but I don't think anyone was expecting such a huge majority for the PCs..

I would make the self-serving argument that I sort of did.  While I do not have the knowledge or expertise to venture a guess on how vote share convert to seats I did roughly get the PC-NCP relative vote share correct and asserted that PC will get a large majority with "large" being very ill defined.

I know very little but I might as well try

PC         40%
NDP       32%
LIB        22%
Green      4%
Other      2%

My view is LIB and PC are under-polled and in the end a lot of NDP leaning LIB voters will still vote LIB.  No idea of seats other than large PC majority.  
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »

I was quite a bit off on both predictions, but I don't think anyone was expecting such a huge majority for the PCs..

I would make the self-serving argument that I sort of did.  While I do not have the knowledge or expertise to venture a guess on how vote share convert to seats I did roughly get the PC-NCP relative vote share correct and asserted that PC will get a large majority with "large" being very ill defined.

PC         40%
NDP       32%
LIB        22%
Green      4%
Other      2%

My view is LIB and PC are under-polled and in the end a lot of NDP leaning LIB voters will still vote LIB.  No idea of seats other than large PC majority.  

Nice!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »

My most-off predictions were Kenora (forgot that Greg Rickford was running and the NDP candidate was an idiot) and I guess Brampton South.  Don't feel bad about my "unorthodox" calls for Etobicoke Lakeshore and Ottawa West-Nepean.  Was overly optimistic about the NDP's chances in Scarborough but Rouge Park was actually very close (and I figured that Cho would win easily and the PCs would get a big win in Agincourt, while correctly calling Guildwood).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »

PC         40%
NDP       32%
LIB        22%
Green      4%
Other      2%

My view is LIB and PC are under-polled and in the end a lot of NDP leaning LIB voters will still vote LIB.  No idea of seats other than large PC majority. 
Congrats. This was really good.

... and so was this!
adma
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »

In the end, it wasn't *that* huge or unexpected, especially considering the final (herded?) polls.

But I do find that a lot of polling predictors seemed to be pointing at a 76-to-40 type of result out of a much smaller vote differential than the 7-point margin that actually transpired...

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »

In the end, it wasn't *that* huge or unexpected, especially considering the final (herded?) polls.

But I do find that a lot of polling predictors seemed to be pointing at a 76-to-40 type of result out of a much smaller vote differential than the 7-point margin that actually transpired...

Well, polls put the NDP much closer to the PCs. However, we talked a lot before about the NDP vote inefficiency, and that was why 70-40 was constantly getting called. Most people expected the NDP to have a high floor (many safe seats) but a hard ceiling to push through (Voter self-packing). If we give 5% of the vote to the NDP on a universal swing (2.5 each from PC/Lib, now 38-38.5-17) the NDP only gains 10 seats to put the chamber at something like 67-50-6-1, despite them winning the popular vote.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies