Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 198882 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:14 PM »

For the ONDP, the Jagmeet Singh "spillover effect", or whether there is such a thing, is a *real* puzzle.  And if they wind up backsliding in Brampton relative to 2014 despite "their guy" in power federally, there's going to be plenty of soul-searching...
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2018, 01:32:59 AM »

For the ONDP, the Jagmeet Singh "spillover effect", or whether there is such a thing, is a *real* puzzle.  And if they wind up backsliding in Brampton relative to 2014 despite "their guy" in power federally, there's going to be plenty of soul-searching...

True enough.  Also there is the issue of vote splits as the NDP could win enough votes to split the vote in Brampton, but not enough to win as Brown will likely do better than Hudak here.  He has much better ties with the Indo-Canadian community than Hudak ever did.  Probably won't get over 45% in any Brampton riding and actually good chance he will get under 40% in which case if say the PCs get 37-38% in Brampton and the NDP only get in the teens, Liberals will hold them, but if the NDP gets around 25%, then likely a PC pick up.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »

I see there are articles about whether the Ontario Liberal government will release an early budget before the election.  You might have thought that the normal release time of the budget was something the Ontario Liberals would have thought about before setting the fixed election date.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »

It all depends on the candidates. The NDP have only nominated one candidate in the three 'winnable' Brampton seats, Sara Singh in Brampton North. Not sure how strong she is.

The two strongest candidate possibilities in the region are Harkirat Singh (public school trustee) and Gurpreet Dhillon (city councillor). Dhillon was the NDP candidate in Brampton-Springdale in 2014.
DL
Canada

« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »

There is also Jagmeet Singh's brother and closest confidante...I wouldnt be surprised if he ran for the NDP in Brampton East
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »

Brown is holding a news conference in 25 minutes to deny allegations of sexual misconduct from 2 women dating back to his Ottawa days. No way can Tories hold an emergency convention & fix the party's image in 4 months...
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »

Couldn't caucus agree on one person. Yes this is bad news for them but let's see what happens. Surprised this didn't come out earlier, but mind you with the #metoo movement lots is coming out now.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »

I'm surprised some of the other stuff that's happened in Ottawa (with other leaders) still hasn't been revealed (alleged / from what I've heard).

Looking at this politically, surely will hurt Brown.  Who knows if the party will survive this.  Doesn't body well for the NDP in Toronto (where would-be PC voters will go back to the Liberals), but helps their chances in the South West/North.  This may have been exactly what Kathleen Wynne needed, as sad as that is.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »

He's done, since one of the allegations is sexual assault. Other is oral sex on an intern.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »

Doesn't surprise me, of course. I have mentioned before the stories I've heard about him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:18 PM »

There's probably more coming.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »

Agree he is done, but I still think the PCs could pull off a win if they can get a new leader.  Tough but not impossible.  It will do some damage but if he resigns in the next few weeks it will be old news by the election campaign.  With four campaign managers already resigning and still having not face the caucus, I don't see how he can stay on as PC leader.  He may want to but when the next batch of polls come out and show him falling, that will be it.  Yes these may be false but false or not, one should get it cleared in the court of law before running.  Due to how close the election is not enough time for this.

If the caucus were smart they would tell him in no uncertain terms they will resign en masse from the party if he doesn't quit (this how the BC Liberals got rid of Gordon Campbell back in 2010).  If he quits, I would recommend they appoint either Lisa McLeod or Vic Fedelli as leader.  Both are moderate and capable.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »

How likely do you think it is this will be so damaging he has no choice but to resign.  If he is leading the party over an abyss I cannot see how he can stay on.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2018, 11:11:27 PM »

At this point I am pretty confidence Brown will not lead the party into the election come June, any bets on whom it will be.  Some may say Christine Elliott but she is not in caucus.  My bets are either Vic Fidelli or Lisa McLeod will be the PC leader come June.  Any thoughts?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »

At this point I am pretty confidence Brown will not lead the party into the election come June, any bets on whom it will be.  Some may say Christine Elliott but she is not in caucus.  My bets are either Vic Fidelli or Lisa McLeod will be the PC leader come June.  Any thoughts?

So, a racist or an homophobe?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »

A snap leadership election will probably be best for the Tories, as they are less likely to have a terrible candidate spend a long time campaigning to terrible social conservative groups and end up defeating a moderate establishment candidate.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2018, 11:42:10 PM »

A snap leadership election will probably be best for the Tories, as they are less likely to have a terrible candidate spend a long time campaigning to terrible social conservative groups and end up defeating a moderate establishment candidate.

I actually think much like when Ignatieff was chosen (note there was a real fear the government could fall) caucus will agree on one candidate so unless someone outside caucus steps up there won't be a convention.  While this won't happen Wynne could as an olive branch agree to push the election date back to October if Brown resigns so they can choose a new leader but that is probably more wishful thinking than realistic.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »

One acquaintance of mine (who ran for school trustee in Toronto a few years ago) described Brown as "without hyperbole, the creepiest person I’ve ever met."
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2018, 12:15:51 AM »

Kellie Leitch obviously!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »

Now is the NDP's chance!

Maybe.

Nah...
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2018, 12:43:11 AM »

Kellie Leitch obviously!

Your joking, not a chance.  Pretty sure it will be someone inside the caucus.
DL
Canada

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »

Two points on this.

1. The Liberals better be careful what they wish for. If this had come out during the writ period it would have been a total catastrophe for the PCs, but the election is still five months away and the PCs likely have some "quickie" emergency process for picking a new leader - perhaps caucus agreeing on someone. Whoever they pick could very quickly put all this behind them and turn out to be more popular than Brown was.

2. PC voters tend to absolutely LOATH Kathleen Wynne and polling data i have seen says that by about a 3-1 margin they have the NDP as their second choice not the Liberals...this could actually be a good opportunity for Andrea Horwath
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »

Do you think Kathleen Wynne would be tempted to call a snap election in hope that the controversies around Brown and before the PC potently get a new leader.   
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:37 AM »

Brown has resigned as leader will stay on as MPP
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/queenspark/2018/01/24/tory-leader-patrick-brown-denies-allegations-of-misconduct.html
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2018, 01:57:53 AM »

Do you think Kathleen Wynne would be tempted to call a snap election in hope that the controversies around Brown and before the PC potently get a new leader.   

If she does this will backfire big time.  People will see it for what it is, blatant political opportunism.  Just ask Theresa May, Jim Prentice, or David Peterson how well their decision was to call an early opportunistic election and unlike Wynne, they all had big leads in the polls.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies