Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:20:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 202484 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »

No, that's east-central Ontario.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »

Thanks.  I agree.

Do you consider it to be in Northern Ontario, though, in the same way that Parry Sound-Muskoka is considered to be in the North?
Krago
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »

Thanks.  I agree.

Do you consider it to be in Northern Ontario, though, in the same way that Parry Sound-Muskoka is considered to be in the North?

Here is the only map of Northern Ontario that really matters:
http://curlnoca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/map_affiliated_Oct_2016.pdf
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »

Thanks.  I agree.

Works for me.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »

According to various on Twitter, Doug Ford is considering running for the P.C leadership, and according to Steve Paikin there is already pressure being placed on John Tory to run if Doug Ford runs.  Apparently, several other Progressive Conservatives who are considering running have offered to stand aside and support Tory if Ford runs.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »

No. 

Northern and Southern Ontario are the primary regional divisions in Ontario. 

Eastern Ontario is a subregion of Southern Ontario, as is Southwestern Ontario.  SW Ontario was called Western Ontario for a long time, but it never meant anything in the North.

Central has been used for both lying "in between" north and south and east and west.  It's not as clearly defined.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »

Thanks.  I agree.

Cheesy

Curling is the biggest reason why Northern Ontario should be its own province Smiley
adma
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

Muskoka, Parry Sound, Haliburton and Algonquin Park are the transition zone.

Broadly and traditionally speaking, "Northern Ontario" is/was anything which, pre-regionalization,  qualified as a "district" as opposed to a "county".  Thus, Parry Sound and Muskoka.  But not Renfrew, Haliburton, etc etc.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2018, 02:05:26 AM »

Muskoka, Parry Sound, Haliburton and Algonquin Park are the transition zone.

Broadly and traditionally speaking, "Northern Ontario" is/was anything which, pre-regionalization,  qualified as a "district" as opposed to a "county".  Thus, Parry Sound and Muskoka.  But not Renfrew, Haliburton, etc etc.

Muskoka isn't culturally Northern, through. Parry Sound, we can argue. Powassan is northern, to me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »

Muskoka is a district in name only, though. It has its own regional government, which the other districts do not have. It's only 'northern' if you're from Toronto, but they think Barrie is in Northern Ontario. Tongue
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

Lots seems to be happening fast and interesting to see how it unfolds.  Anyways each party has a reason to be kicking themselves.

Liberals:  With the PCs falling into disarray, had Wynne resigned last year, they would be in a very good position to capitalize on this, but with Wynne's approvals still rock bottom this still might not be enough for them to win.

PCs:  Had they chosen Christine Elliott instead of Patrick Brown, they would likely have a 20 point lead and be well on their way to a landslide majority.  Instead what should be an easy win is far from a foregone conclusion.

NDP: With Wynne being very unpopular and the PCs in disarray, this should be their time to shine, but with few candidates lined up and the party getting very little attention they haven't seemed to capitalize on the void.  Contrast that with the third place CAQ who are now in the lead and taking advantage of Couillard's unpopularity plus disarray in the PQ.

I am guessing it will take a month or two to see the exact fallout.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »

DOUG FORD IS RUNNING!!!
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »

Yeah and will probably hurt the PCs.  If he flames out, damage will be minimal, if he wins or come close may very well cost them the election.  Shows he cares more about himself than the party.  If he truly cared about the party and wanted it to win this June, he would shut up and go away.  Unlike the US, Trump style politics don't sell well north of the border.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »

This is the race that just keeps on giving lmfao.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »

I am thinking the PC executive if they can will comb in details through the constitution and rules and try to find anyway to disqualify Ford as those at the top brass no letting him run would be a disaster for the party.  My understanding is a candidate who has a criminal past or something that is likely to be liable to the party can be refused.  To be premier you need a seat and any candidate has to get green lighted so if he fails to make the qualifications to be green lighted they could disqualify him there.  The problem is disqualifying him would bitterly divide the party which they don't need.  Perhaps if Elliott runs, they can get her to persuade him not to as the Flaherty/Elliott family is close with the Ford family.  Other possibilities is using their own internal polls see how he fairs in a general election and if the numbers that come back show him losing, show it to him and try to convince him its not worth it.  Internal polling is much more detailed and more accurate than public polling so if internal polls put him behind, then it means he likely would lose.
adma
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »

Muskoka is a district in name only, though. It has its own regional government, which the other districts do not have. It's only 'northern' if you're from Toronto, but they think Barrie is in Northern Ontario. Tongue

But *traditionally*, Muskoka's been a district (i.e. before it "regionalized" in 1971; and note that it uniquely labelled itself as "District Municipality" rather than "Regional Municipality", a bow to its former political form).  Also, there's a distinct geographical difference from Barrie/Orillia--the Precambrian Shield effectively begins at the Severn River southern border--that bonds it much more with Parry Sound than with Simcoe County; and of course, there's always been a "Parry Sound-Muskoka" riding, which whatever the form of municipal government, automatically assigns it to the "districted" North, even now, nearly half a century since Muskoka was last a district.

The only Torontonians who'd have the fuzzy-wuzzy starting-at-Barrie perception of "Northern Ontario" you describe are the kinds of idiots and dolts who'd have no clue about *any* Ontario political geography beyond the inner GTA.  Which in an era when Google and GPS have largely superceded the official Ontario road map in common usage, is probably a dime-a-dozen circumstance.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »

Sounds like their is some talk that pc executives might cancel the leadership convention allowing Fedeli to lead the party during the general election. I have a feeling such a move could backfire as some voters will see such a move as anti democratic potentially depressing PC turnout and pushing swing voters into the NDP and or Liberal column.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/furey-pc-insiders-tried-to-keep-ford-out-and-now-hes-storming-the-barricades#comments
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2018, 02:23:14 AM »

Sounds like their is some talk that pc executives might cancel the leadership convention allowing Fedeli to lead the party during the general election. I have a feeling such a move could backfire as some voters will see such a move as anti democratic potentially depressing PC turnout and pushing swing voters into the NDP and or Liberal column.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/furey-pc-insiders-tried-to-keep-ford-out-and-now-hes-storming-the-barricades#comments

It would also give the Libs and NDP a withering line of attack to throw at the PCs: You can't run a leadership race, what makes you think you can run a province?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »

Fedeli just ruled himself out.
Krago
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »

From Tony Clement's twitter feed:

@TonyclementCPC · Jan 28 
In answer to numerous inquiries I’m confirming that I’m staying in federal politics, BUT I’m not disinterested in the health and the success of the Ontario PCs. We need change in Queen’s Park and i will do my part! #onpoli @OntarioPCParty

The question is: how many inquiries did he get from people asking him to run?

My guess is 3.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »

Well that throws things wide open. Too bad the Tories couldn't have had this worked out last week.
Krago
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »

Monte MacNaughton and Lisa MacLeod are also both out.

"Where have you gone, Tim Hudak,
A province turns its lonely eyes to you, woo, woo, woo."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »

Nobody wants to be Premier? Nobody wants to stop Doug Ford from being Premier?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »

What is even wierder is than Fedeli is talking about rot in the party, huge structural issues, financial irregularities and inaccurate memberhsip lists and than fixing the party will be a "massive undertaking".
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »

I'm impressed with Doug Ford being a credible candidate when his only "qualification" is being related to Rob Ford.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies