Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 201341 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »

The NDP isn't "hammering" the PCs in SW Ontario at all.  It's very close.  What's happening is the NDP is driving the Liberals out of K-W and London.   

Getting "respectable second" in York-Simcoe and BGOS while under-perfomring in Brampton does not bid well for the NDP.

So other than the "hammering" semantics Smiley we agree.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1701 on: May 30, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »

Quito Maggi is hinting at some surprising results from his polls in Whitby and Barrie tomorrow.  He probably means Whitby, unless some sort of "Patrick Brown" effect is hurting the PCs in Barrie.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #1702 on: May 30, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »

Yet this aggregator http://www.calculatedpolitics.com/project/2018-ontario/ Has Brampton Centre for the NDP at 51%, but Brampton North PC 39/33 over the NDP.

"hopefully" the NDP is able to rally around to focus on Brampton and Durham, with Brampton Centre and North their best bets. Mississauge is looking like a PC sweep though
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1703 on: May 30, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »

Of course the thing about constituency polling is that... cont. p. 384
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1704 on: May 30, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »

Of course the thing about constituency polling is that... cont. p. 384

Thank you for correcting us, yet again. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1705 on: May 30, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »

Not a Liberal partisan but am predicting that, assuming the Liberals are higher than 22% provincially, Del Duca retains his seat.

Not so sure about that - the federal Liberals got 25% in Ontario in 2011 and they still got creamed in Vaughan.

My point is - I would be surprised if even 5% of voters will put the question of who will succeed Kathleen Wynne as leader of the OLP into consideration when they vote.  And all of those people would be diehard Liberals.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #1706 on: May 30, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

Not a Liberal partisan but am predicting that, assuming the Liberals are higher than 22% provincially, Del Duca retains his seat.

Not so sure about that - the federal Liberals got 25% in Ontario in 2011 and they still got creamed in Vaughan.

My point is - I would be surprised if even 5% of voters will put the question of who will succeed Kathleen Wynne as leader of the OLP into consideration when they vote.  And all of those people would be diehard Liberals.

Even with the Liberal vote % rising I wouldn't say their vote is that efficient anyway. Their consistently third and below 30% (onsider they lost a lot of ground here in 2011 when they finished 1st with 34.84%) in Toronto and well back in third in most other regions. Unless the Liberals can rise up in the polls above 25% or concentrate their vote well I think they may have trouble winning more then 10-11 seats.
SJ84
Rookie
« Reply #1707 on: May 30, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

Quito Maggi is hinting at some surprising results from his polls in Whitby and Barrie tomorrow.  He probably means Whitby, unless some sort of "Patrick Brown" effect is hurting the PCs in Barrie.

My prediction:

WHITBY - PCs and NDP are tied at the moment

BARRIE-SPRINGWATER-ORO-MEDONTE - PCs are leading slightly but the Green Party is doing shockingly well in second place

BARRIE-INNISFIL - PCs have a 15 plus lead over the NDP
DL
Canada

« Reply #1708 on: May 30, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »

At long last a real, live CATI poll by Innovative. This is the first one of the campaign and interestingly they did an online poll at the exact same time so as to be able to compare methodologies and (drumroll please) the results are identical!

NDP 37% (CATI) 36% (online)
PCs 34% (CATI) 34% (online)
Libs 21% (CATI) 22% (online)

https://innovativeresearch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/OntarioThisMonth_WhatDoThePhonesSay.pdf
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1709 on: May 30, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »

My prediction:

BARRIE-SPRINGWATER-ORO-MEDONTE - PCs are leading slightly but the Green Party is doing shockingly well in second place

Why do you think the Greens are second in BSOM? I thought they were throwing all of their eggs into the Guelph basket.
SJ84
Rookie
« Reply #1710 on: May 30, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »

My prediction:

Why do you think the Greens are second in BSOM? I thought they were throwing all of their eggs into the Guelph basket.

I was in Barrie a week ago and a few friends from there have said the Green's have a good ground game. Also, I saw the Green's have A LOT of lawn signs up. I was surprised how many signs I saw.

In the south Barrie, there has to be at least 1000 - 1100 PC lawn signs on private properties and I've been told the PC candidate has been gaining lots of support from lots of door-knocking.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1711 on: May 30, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if the NDP was surprisingly close to the PCs in both Barrie seats. They are surprisingly competitive next door in York Simcoe which is a much more rural seat. With the increasing urban/rural split in Ontario I could see Barrie being more competitive since it is a bigger and bigger city and could start to vote more like similar sized places like Peterborough or Brantford  
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1712 on: May 30, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »

I'd really like to see polls for Peterborough and Brantford.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1713 on: May 30, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »

Before people get too agitated about these riding polls let's keep in mind that riding polls do not have a very good record - and tend to have HUGE problems properly sampling young people and ethnic communities.

In the last BC election Mainstreet did a whole slew of riding polls and every single one of them were dead wrong and drastically overestimated BC Liberal support and underestimated NDP - especially in some Surrey seats (which are very similar demograpgics to Brampton) 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1714 on: May 30, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

Good point.  And Brampton was actually a pretty strong area for the Reform Party in the 1990s.  If the sample of the Brampton ridings looks like Brampton ca. 1993 that could explain why Ford's PCs are over-performing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1715 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »

Hmm. This election does have a BC 2017 feel to it.  The polls were tied and we were all told the electoral map favoured the Liberals.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1716 on: May 30, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »

What are the genuine three-way races in this election?  Not "three way" in the sense that one party is strong enough to play spoiler but that any of the three parties can win.

Don Valley East seems to be the obvious one (the similar provincial riding of Don Mills went NDP with 35% of the vote in 1990).

Maybe Ottawa West-Nepean and Ottawa South?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1717 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

What are the genuine three-way races in this election?  Not "three way" in the sense that one party is strong enough to play spoiler but that any of the three parties can win.

Don Valley East seems to be the obvious one (the similar provincial riding of Don Mills went NDP with 35% of the vote in 1990).

St. Catharines perhaps?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1718 on: May 30, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »

Hmm. This election does have a BC 2017 feel to it.  The polls were tied and we were all told the electoral map favoured the Liberals.

BC 2017 was not a situation where the incumbent majority party slipped into third place and then suffered uncontrollable hemmoraging into the distance.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1719 on: May 30, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »

St. Catharines perhaps?

Guelph could be one.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1720 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »

St. Catharines perhaps?

Guelph could be one.

Yeah, I'd say Guelph is a three-way race. Although it's a Green/NDP/PC three-way race rather than a Liberal/PC/NDP race.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1721 on: May 30, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »

Dark horse 3-way race: Ottawa-Vanier
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1722 on: May 30, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »

Quito Maggi predicts a Doug majority.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1723 on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

You really think the Tories could pull that one off? I just assumed they would be a distant third, or maybe second with like 22% if the Liberals crapped the bed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1724 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »

You really think the Tories could pull that one off? I just assumed they would be a distant third, or maybe second with like 22% if the Liberals crapped the bed.

I don't think they can win; they have a vote ceiling of about 30% based on past results. But that could be enough to make a 3 way race. I doubt they'll get that good of a result though.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies