Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:26:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 201712 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: June 04, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »

Wow.  I wonder if they timed this on purpose to be right before the election.  I guess the answer must be yes.

That is what Ford is alleging in his statement. And his mother is pretty much calling her an addict.

What a screwed up family....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2126 on: June 04, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »

God bless the politics of Ontario!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2127 on: June 04, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2018, 09:37:39 PM by Baconomics 🐖 »

my thinking is basically:

1. would-be Liberal voters prefer a Premier Horwath over Premier Ford, by a four to one margin
2. the Liberal campaign is failing so badly they literally conceded a week before the election
edit:
3. polling shows NDP ahead or at least even with the PCs and any attempt to guess results in individual ridings is a crapshoot at best.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2128 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »

I've been following this election closely for a while but I haven't posted in this thread yet so I'm doing so now. Very excited to see the upcoming double-digit NDP victory!

Then you are unfortunatly probably going to be disappointed. Most of the data is pointed to a PC win - barring a secret NDP surge or the PCs choking in the last moments of the campaign.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2129 on: June 04, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »

I've been following this election closely for a while but I haven't posted in this thread yet so I'm doing so now. Very excited to see the upcoming double-digit NDP victory!

Then you are unfortunatly probably going to be disappointed. Most of the data is pointed to a PC win - barring a secret NDP surge or the PCs choking in the last moments of the campaign.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2130 on: June 04, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

A plausible outcome could be a minority government, around 5 Liberals and both NDP and Tories around 60 seats. NDP forms a government afterwards.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2131 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »

A plausible outcome could be a minority government, around 5 Liberals and both NDP and Tories around 60 seats. NDP forms a government afterwards.

Plausible yes, but only if NDP has at least a 3-4% popular vote advantage over PCs, AND the Liberals manage to get above 20% (probably to around 22-23%). In that scenario, the distribution would be roughly: PC-58 seats, NDP-54 (or 53) seats, Liberals-12 seats (and Greens maybe 1 seat Smiley).

Otherwise, if the PC and NDP vote is roughly equal, or even if NDP has a small advantage and the Liberal vote tanks, we are probably looking at a narrow PC majority.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2132 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »

Plausible yes, but only if NDP has at least a 3-4% popular vote advantage over PCs, AND the Liberals manage to get above 20% (probably to around 22-23%). In that scenario, the distribution would be roughly: PC-58 seats, NDP-54 (or 53) seats, Liberals-12 seats (and Greens maybe 1 seat Smiley).

Otherwise, if the PC and NDP vote is roughly equal, or even if NDP has a small advantage and the Liberal vote tanks, we are probably looking at a narrow PC majority.

Maybe, but I'm a bit sceptical that the NDP really needs such a large advantage. This election is very hard to model with the Liberal collapse and NDP gains, so I'm expecting the unexpected.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2133 on: June 04, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »

I mentioned Etobicoke-Lakeshore and Willowdale earlier.  It's funny to think that Burlington shows more potential for the NDP than Bay of Quinte too.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #2134 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »

Andrea has added a stop in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.  Guess she thinks they have a shot here!
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #2135 on: June 04, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »

Wow.  I wonder if they timed this on purpose to be right before the election.  I guess the answer must be yes.

That is what Ford is alleging in his statement. And his mother is pretty much calling her an addict.

What a screwed up family....

This might really hurt Doug, Rob Ford's wife basically said he mismanaged funds, and his company; gave himself a plush paycheck and is too uneducated for the role he was in... damn, from his own family! But this goes against his personal credibility, basically what hes been running on (when not saying the NDP will cause the apocalypse)
Doug is saying Renata (Doug wife) were extorting them for money.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2136 on: June 04, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2018, 08:39:42 PM by DabbingSanta »

What is it with all these poorly timed last minute scandals? Patrick Brown sexually harassing workers, now this. My tinfoil hat thinks the leftists/NDP are buying them out... I wonder if a lot of the Wynne hate stems from this same machine?

Edit: just to clarify, not saying these allegations aren't true
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2137 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »

Well, I can't see many would-be PC voters caring one lick about this, but Liberal voters on the other hand.... this might be just what it takes to get them off the fence and vote NDP.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2138 on: June 04, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »

What is it with all these poorly timed last minute scandals? Patrick Brown sexually harassing workers, now this. My tinfoil hat thinks the leftists/NDP are buying them out... I wonder if a lot of the Wynne hate stems from this same machine?

Edit: just to clarify, not saying these allegations aren't true

I doubt the NDP is behind it, they would have went before the early vote.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2139 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »

I highly doubt that A) the NDP would stoop to this level, but also B) be competent enough to pull something like this off Wink
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2140 on: June 04, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »

I highly doubt that A) the NDP would stoop to this level, but also B) be competent enough to pull something like this off Wink

It would be sheer incompetence in itself to not time it a week earlier than this, honestly.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2141 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »

It would be sheer incompetence in itself to not time it a week earlier than this, honestly.

Most people haven't voted yet, many haven't made up their minds yet. If it were a week ago in this day in age with people having such short attention spans, it may've  become old news by now.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2142 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »

Most people haven't voted yet, many haven't made up their minds yet. If it were a week ago in this day in age with people having such short attention spans, it may've  become old news by now.

Good point. I believe there ARE significantly more undecideds than normal at this time of the campaign.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2143 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »

Well, I can't see many would-be PC voters caring one lick about this, but Liberal voters on the other hand.... this might be just what it takes to get them off the fence and vote NDP.

We'll see how the story unfolds. Unfortunately the credibility of this breaking three days before the election is suspect.

Many voters are choosing PC as the lesser evil, not because of Doug Ford. While this will not change opinions on Ford, it may be enough to cause them to abstain. As for Liberal voters, those who are considering voting for Ford will probably not vote for NDP in any circumstance.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2144 on: June 04, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »

There are no Liberal voters considering voting for Ford. That species does not exist
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2145 on: June 04, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »

There are no Liberal voters considering voting for Ford. That species does not exist

I see you are not associated with the Well-to-do Toronto 905 areas, where the business Liberals see the PC's as the latter of two evils.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2146 on: June 04, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »

Apparently Adam Radwanski of the Globe feels that the litigation will hurt Ford:

Latest controversy to hit Doug Ford could be the most damaging
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-latest-controversy-to-hit-doug-ford-could-be-the-most-damaging/

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2147 on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

I see you are not associated with the Well-to-do Toronto 905 areas, where the business Liberals see the PC's as the latter of two evils.

Agreed. This latest Ford affair could ensure seats like Vaughan Woodbridge go to the Liberals, and may also affect some races in Mississauga. But I see this more as a PC->Liberal transfer.
adma
« Reply #2148 on: June 04, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »

"The NDP start day 27 of the campaign with an aggressive push through opposition territory. Horwath will make five stops on Monday in London North Centre (empty Liberal seat), Sarnia—Lambton (PC seat), Chatham-Kent—Leamington (PC seat), Elgin—Middlesex—London (PC seat), and Oxford (PC seat).

NDP going all out trying to capitalize on Wynne's concession?

Other than LNC, I suspect the Libs are already polling in the basement in all of those seats, so there's little left to capitalize on.
adma
« Reply #2149 on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »

The NDP would win 95 other seats, before winning Oxford (or EML for that matter).  Horwath's campaign is probably just using her presence in SW to get some PR across the region.  It also doesn't hurt the NDP's credibility to be seen as interested in rural seats.  They won't win, but it is useful.

I agree with you.

Just talking about my riding, Woodstock is still quite conservative (I calculated the Woodstock #s earlier, it went 41-28 PC vs. NDP in 2014), and as long as that stays true, there's no path for anyone else to win Oxford. The rural areas can give the PCs over 60% in many cases too.

Ingersoll is the closest thing to an NDP stronghold (the NDP won there 39-33 over the PCs in 2014), but it's too small to make up for Woodstock at all.

Though in a funny way, I *do* find a left-field NDP gain in Oxford (or EML) more plausible than it looks--more so than in a lot of hitherto Liberal 905-belt ridings.  And I suspect that the Woodstock strain of PC support is more of a "parked" one and likelier to swing NDPward than that in rural Oxford County.  (Blame a lot of that on the growing sleeper factor of the auto economy.)

Maybe 85 or even 75 other seats, rather than 95?
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies