Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97]
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 198884 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: June 07, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

Thank you
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #2401 on: June 07, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »

I will confess, a big part of my interest in this race is because of my own personal quest for bragging rights. My best friends at college lives in Mississauga, and I stayed at his house for Canada 150 last year, and we went into Toronto, got well and smashed, and then I started spouting off in the streets about how “Horwath will be Premier!” And when Doug Ford won the PC leadership, I suggested to him there could be room for the NDP to sneak up the middle between an unpopular Ford and hated Wynne, and he immediately shut me down, saying there was absolutely 0 chance, then when I tried to explain my rationale, he got mad at me for “acting like I knew [his] province better than [him].” So if the NDP does pull it off tonight, in addition to seeing a victory for a party very close to my own ideology, I’ll get to gloat too Tongue

Btw, the last batch of polls has seemed like a herding... very well may be wishful thinking, but I’m not buying the sudden last-minute PC swings, especially when other polls had the NDP on the rise in the last few days and Abacus’ last poll had the NDP up 4. Between that, Kenatagate, and what I suspect will be the deathbed conversion of many would-be Liberal voters to the NDP to stop Ford, I’m still predicting a narrow NDP win, but it’s gonna be a long night and it may be a few days before things shake out fully.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2402 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »

I will confess, a big part of my interest in this race is because of my own personal quest for bragging rights. My best friends at college lives in Mississauga, and I stayed at his house for Canada 150 last year, and we went into Toronto, got well and smashed, and then I started spouting off in the streets about how “Horwath will be Premier!” And when Doug Ford won the PC leadership, I suggested to him there could be room for the NDP to sneak up the middle between an unpopular Ford and hated Wynne, and he immediately shut me down, saying there was absolutely 0 chance, then when I tried to explain my rationale, he got mad at me for “acting like I knew [his] province better than [him].” So if the NDP does pull it off tonight, in addition to seeing a victory for a party very close to my own ideology, I’ll get to gloat too Tongue

Btw, the last batch of polls has seemed like a herding... very well may be wishful thinking, but I’m not buying the sudden last-minute PC swings, especially when other polls had the NDP on the rise in the last few days and Abacus’ last poll had the NDP up 4. Between that, Kenatagate, and what I suspect will be the deathbed conversion of many would-be Liberal voters to the NDP to stop Ford, I’m still predicting a narrow NDP win, but it’s gonna be a long night and it may be a few days before things shake out fully.

You need to do something more wholesome when drunk... Like calling you ex.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2403 on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »

I've come to think of said "dreary DATA driven projections" as a little like the psephological equivalent of talking GPS: it may "get you there" (seemingly), but it's no match for well-tuned navigational skills--or what London taxi operators call "The Knowledge".  It's an easy crutch; that's it.

Yes. And the thing is, when an election is fluid as this (especially given the possibility of all sorts of freakish results on low poll shares...) if the data-driven projections are right it won't be because of their inherent accuracy, but luck...
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #2404 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »

You need to do something more wholesome when drunk... Like calling you ex.

Yeah it was a very nerdy drunk thing to do lol, but don't worry I've done that as well Smiley
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #2405 on: June 07, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »

Is CBC (or some other channel) going to do coverage tonight? Gonna need a stream if that's the case.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2406 on: June 07, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »

Is CBC (or some other channel) going to do coverage tonight? Gonna need a stream if that's the case.

CBC has a Youtube stream, I don't know if it'll work in the US though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY14V2CgDNI
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2407 on: June 07, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »

CBC has a Youtube stream, I don't know if it'll work in the US though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY14V2CgDNI

The link works for me in DC.

Also, if you happen to be close to the border you can catch canadian broadcasting on the TV apparently.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #2408 on: June 07, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »

The link works for me in DC.

Also, if you happen to be close to the border you can catch canadian broadcasting on the TV apparently.
I'm not in that part of Maine.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies