How each election's map would look like if the PV was tied (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:24:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How each election's map would look like if the PV was tied (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How each election's map would look like if the PV was tied  (Read 2515 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: September 15, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »

I always think it's interesting (and criminally untalked about) how poorly Reagan did in the South in 1980 compared to the dominant "realignment" narrative that has come to rule our history books.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »

I always think it's interesting (and criminally untalked about) how poorly Reagan did in the South in 1980 compared to the dominant "realignment" narrative that has come to rule our history books.

In addition to what Mikado said, it also depends on how you view realignments. Personally, I've always looked at them through the theory of generational turnover in addition to unique elections. In this case, it might be fair to say that Reagan took advantage of a favorable electorate, and whose presidency, over the course of 6 - 8 years, shifted it further towards Republicans.

I didn't go in depth on my comment, but I just think the whole 1980 election gets misinterpreted as a "seal the deal on what 1968 started" election, and it doesn't appear that was the case.  When you look at the county maps, Reagan got murdered in the rural South and in the counties where Wallace did best.  The idea that a bunch of Dixiecrats preferred him over Carter because "they voted Republican now" is just not true.  Reagan eaked out wins in suburban and urban counties JUST enough to tip those Southern states, and - with the exception of MS - there seemed to be a strong correlation between a state being a part of "The New South" and it voting for Reagan.  I don't know, it's just a lot more interesting of a (true) story to look at all that than the usual textbook 1964 - 1968 - 1980 realignment bullshlt.  Your generational turnover is obviously a much better theory.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies