HB 1152 - Carbon Tax Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:49:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1152 - Carbon Tax Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: HB 1152 - Carbon Tax Act (Passed)  (Read 3767 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »

PiT make sure you recognize each amendment and assign it a number.

Like This
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: Representatives have 24 hours to object (from when PiT posted, not this post. Time actually expires in 25 minutes Tongue)

That way people know which amendment is under consideration. It may seem pointless but if you get several amendments in a row and are dealing with them one at a time, it is better to have the amendment in question in the same post calling for 24 hours.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »

I'm proposing an amendment to protect Atlasian jobs and urge other nations to take action on climate change. This way, there won't be an incentive for companies to move abroad because of the passage of this bill.

I approve of this amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. I will be sure to use a numbering system in the future, as I have found it to be useful as PPT to refer back to amendment numbers.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »

I'm proposing an amendment to protect Atlasian jobs and urge other nations to take action on climate change. This way, there won't be an incentive for companies to move abroad because of the passage of this bill.

I approve of this amendment.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. I will be sure to use a numbering system in the future, as I have found it to be useful as PPT to refer back to amendment numbers.

It will be tricky though, because Amendments are numbered across the whole house so if another one was offered on another bill after my last update to the tracker, that one would take the next number.

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »

Is a final vote forthcoming? I believe the legislation provides a market solution to climate change, instead of top-down complex regulations. Not to mention, it protects jobs and raises immense amounts of revenue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

If there are no more comments, I will open a final vote in 24 hours.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »

I like this policy, but I do think that some of the revenue should go toward funding alternative energy source research rather than solely a rebate check, though perhaps that is better suited for other legislation.

While I am a supporter of a carbon tax, I can't help but feel like I agree with Congressman RFayette on this, and can't seem to find anywhere that this was even addressed.

I know at one point in the Senate it was discussed that this would fund the Renewable Energy Rebate and Subsidy Act, but it appears nothing ever came of it. Considering that's already something where Atlasia citizens receive a monetary benefit from, it doesn't make much more sense for us to have 100% of the revenue of this act do the same. While I like the idea of holding ourselves responsible for our carbon dioxide emissions, I don't like the idea of the tax not really funding anything. It makes no sense to tax just for the sake of taxing.

That being said, I cannot support this as currently written, and would not be willing to sign if it makes it to my desk as is.

(TL;DR yes, this is a veto threat)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »

I object to proceeding to a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »

In the Senate there was discussion of using this to pay for the Energy Subsidy act thing that just passed. Considering we are going to be doing a budget and that is unfunded, I would recommend amending this to direct the necessary funding towards that program that it is paid for.

Just because this is being considered separately doesn't mean that is no longer an option.

meant so that it is paid for.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2017, 06:21:55 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

The purpose of the rebate is to prevent any negative effects the tax would have on the economy.  A tax on carbon is essentially a price on carbon for its negative impact on the environment, which the market does not recognize in the way fossil fuels are priced.  The "fee-and-dividend" approach sets every individual's carbon tax proportional to their use of fossil fuels, creating an incentive to reduce, but every person's dividend is equal and independent regardless of their usage.

I really want this to pass and I am open to compromising, but certainly most of the revenues generated should be redistributed.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »

The purpose of the rebate is to prevent any negative effects the tax would have on the economy.  A tax on carbon is essentially a price on carbon for its negative impact on the environment, which the market does not recognize in the way fossil fuels are priced.  The "fee-and-dividend" approach sets every individual's carbon tax proportional to their use of fossil fuels, creating an incentive to reduce, but every person's dividend is equal and independent regardless of their usage.

I really want this to pass and I am open to compromising, but certainly most of the revenues generated should be redistributed.

I don't mind some of the revenues generated being redistributed, but I still think that portions of it should at least go to some program(s), be it fund an existing bill signed into law, go towards renewable energy research grants, or something else folks might have ideas on, I'm somewhat flexible. I just cannot agree to 100%.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »

I would recommend funding the Green Energy Subsidies Bill with this. Remember, our deficit is going to be large because we inherited the RL situation.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »

This will spur economic growth by putting money in the pockets of Atlasian citizens. Moreover, it encourages private investment in renewables. I don't think there's a reason to remove the rebate portion or reduce it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »

This will spur economic growth by putting money in the pockets of Atlasian citizens. Moreover, it encourages private investment in renewables. I don't think there's a reason to remove the rebate portion or reduce it.

It's already been pointed out that we are going to end up with a large deficit. We cannot just keep throwing out money for amazing programs, and ignoring the opportunities we are given to fund them.

We already have a program where Atlasian citizens are given an incentive to invest in renewables, but it's not going to be sustainable if we can't find a way to pay for it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 03:07:14 AM »

Probably over $500 Billion dollars in deficit.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »

Can somebody send a link to the legislation regarding subsidies? Perhaps we can find a middle ground here.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »

Can somebody send a link to the legislation regarding subsidies? Perhaps we can find a middle ground here.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272198.msg5827072#msg5827072
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »

Are there still subsidies going to fossil fuel companies to the tune of over $30 billion a year? We could slash half those subsidies each year and cover the rebate easily.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »

Are there still subsidies going to fossil fuel companies to the tune of over $30 billion a year? We could slash half those subsidies each year and cover the rebate easily.
I would welcome an amendment by the representative to that effect.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 02:38:48 AM »

Those numbers are total bullsh**t by the way.

The highest number I came up with was $72 billion between 2002 and 2008, which divided by six is just over $10 billion a year.

R&D for fossil fuels, is indeed $24 billion, spread over a 30 year period from 1973 to 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »

So what are we doing with this?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »

I believe Senator Scott is working on an amendment to address some of the concerns raised by the president and others.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »

Also it appears the horribly constructed corporate tax reform bill from last year, "appears" to have eliminated the subsidies in question completely.

I say "appears" because that thing is just a mess.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

I believe Senator Scott is working on an amendment to address some of the concerns raised by the president and others.

I hope that amendment is forthcoming soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies