What would the 1992 Presidential Election map look like without Ross Perot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What would the 1992 Presidential Election map look like without Ross Perot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the 1992 Presidential Election map look like without Ross Perot?  (Read 2514 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:46:13 PM »

Would Bill Clinton still have been able to pull off a win against George H.W. Bush?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »

It'd be a 53-47 PV for Clinton and that'd entail adding Florida and North Carolina to the slate. But Montana and New Hampshire wouldn't have flipped.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »

D 302
R 236

Kentucky, Wisconsin and New Jersey are the closest states. Overall, Bush does better since he isn't being attacked from two sides at the same time.

Clinton loses Kentucky and Louisiana as well dropping him to 285 electoral votes, and I believe in that Bush wins popular vote
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »

D 302
R 236

Kentucky, Wisconsin and New Jersey are the closest states. Overall, Bush does better since he isn't being attacked from two sides at the same time.

Clinton loses Kentucky and Louisiana as well dropping him to 285 electoral votes, and I believe in that Bush wins popular vote
Perot mostly drew Democrats and Independents in Louisiana.
mencken
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »

Based on my cursory analysis of randomly selected counties (I lack the will to go through all ~3,000 at once and observe the trend), I would estimate that between 5-20% of Perot's voters voted for Dukakis in the prior election (and thus would likely have voted for Clinton), 20-30% of Perot's voters voted for Bush in the prior election (and thus would likely have voted for Bush), and 50-70% sat out the prior election (and likely would have sat this one out too). His absence would likely have been sufficient to flip New Hampshire, Ohio, Montana, and Nevada to Bush. New Jersey, Georgia, and Colorado are a bit more difficult to say (Perot's effect was more ambiguous in the South and large urban centers)
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:27:16 PM »

It would still be a Clinton victory. Bush was incredible unpopular and a candidate like Clinton who offered change was destined to win. Without Perot I could see a maybe 40-35-20-5 Bush,Clinton,Not Vote, or vote for another minor party happen to Perots voters which may have flip Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Maybe Colorado and also Ohio if it is to that extreme. However a decent Clinton win would still happen. A popular vote might be say 52-46 also.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

Clinton/Gore: 342 EV, 52% PV
Bush/Quayle: 196 EV, 48% PV

Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Florida, and Nevada are the closest states. Bush gets 11% of Perot's vote, Clinton gets 9%.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

I personally haven't tried calculating it myself, but I did find one article online which suggested that Clinton would have won the PV 56-40 without Perot. That amounts to a 10-point PV swing toward Clinton, which, if applied evenly across the country, would result in the following map:

twenty42
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »

It would be the exact same map with slightly different margins.

Going by exit polls, 38% of Perot voters said they would've voted Clinton, 38% said they would've voted Bush, and 24% said they wouldn't have voted at all. If you to interpolate those numbers into the national results, it results in 52.93% Clinton - 47.07% Bush. This is a 5.86% win for Clinton, a 0.3% D shift from the actual results. Since Bush won NC by 0.79%, the shift wouldn't have changed any states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies