Would you rather live in Massachusetts or Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:29:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Massachusetts or Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Massachusetts

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Massachusetts or Virginia?  (Read 1281 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
Fairfax, Virginia!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »

Virginia. I don't like traffic or high taxes.

Massachusetts is a beautiful state to visit, though.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. ~breath~ Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

But seriously, the I-95 is just as much as mess in Virginia as it is up there. NOVA is reliably a swamp too on the Beltway and I-66.

Sometimes even the I-81 and I-64 [usually 'round C-ville] get crazy.
Yeah, I've been to both places. Boston traffic is the absolute worst outside of maybe New York. Not only are there a ton of cars and congestion everywhere, but you have to turn every 10 seconds because the streets were designed for cows, not cars. Northern Virginia is just generic suburb traffic, which isn't even as bad as the stuff I dealt with in Chicago.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »

Virginia, at least you can live in the Western part where the 2nd amendment still applies.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »

Massachusetts. NoVA is a sprawly mess and the rest of the state is the South.

VA, contingent on living in NOVA. Otherwise literally anywhere in MA would be better in VA outside of NOVA IMO.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »

Massachusetts. NoVA is a sprawly mess and the rest of the state is the South.

VA, contingent on living in NOVA. Otherwise literally anywhere in MA would be better in VA outside of NOVA IMO.

Other way around. NOVA sucks, while Tidewater, The I-81 Corridor, and Lynchburg are the REAL state.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 07:21:38 AM »

Virginia
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »

Tough choice, not overly knowledgeable about either.  Everyone who has ever visited Boston says it's awesome.  Not a fan of NOVA/DC in general from my visits to see my aunt, but I have heard Virginia Beach and Richmond are both quite nice.  Then again, Cape Cod is pretty much a more commercialized, bigger Door County, so ... I don't know, LOL.

Lean MA.

Eh, no.  Not unless you're a fan of corrupt police departments, drive-by shootings, and robbery.

Although there is (supposedly) a pot dealer on every block if you're looking for that. Tongue

??

What you're describing is not very accurate of VA Beach at all.  70% of it is pretty standard, sprawling unremarkable middle-class suburbia (that would not look out of place with pretty much any other east coast city's suburbs), 20% of it is touristy resort areas around the oceanfront, and then maybe 10% of it are the "bad areas."

Have you ever actually been to the area?  Based on your description, I suspect "no."
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »

Virginia because Massachusetts would be too cold.
AN63093

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2017, 05:24:02 PM by AN63093 »

I've actually lived in both (and currently live in VA), so I feel I can intelligently comment on this.

Western MA is very nice, but there wouldn't much in the way of job opportunities for me, so it's more of a place I'd retire than currently live.  Sort of the same thing around the cape.  Beautiful areas though.

Boston is OK.. I posted this in the MA vs NY thread I believe... it's OK and all, but it's surprisingly provincial and it feels like an overgrown college town.  At times it can feel like almost everyone you meet is either in one of the city's gazillion schools, or in some academia related field.  There are much larger "working professional" crowds of people in other cities like NY and DC, that are a little older and have grown out of the "getting wasted every weekend like I'm still in college" mid-20s type of thing.

Boston is a fun place to live in your 20s, but I wouldn't go back.  I'd live in any of the urban areas of VA over MA, so either Richmond, DC/NoVA, Hampton Roads, and even Charlottesville.

I guess I'd live in rural MA over rural VA.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »

Tough choice, not overly knowledgeable about either.  Everyone who has ever visited Boston says it's awesome.  Not a fan of NOVA/DC in general from my visits to see my aunt, but I have heard Virginia Beach and Richmond are both quite nice.  Then again, Cape Cod is pretty much a more commercialized, bigger Door County, so ... I don't know, LOL.

Lean MA.

Eh, no.  Not unless you're a fan of corrupt police departments, drive-by shootings, and robbery.

Although there is (supposedly) a pot dealer on every block if you're looking for that. Tongue

??

What you're describing is not very accurate of VA Beach at all.  70% of it is pretty standard, sprawling unremarkable middle-class suburbia (that would not look out of place with pretty much any other east coast city's suburbs), 20% of it is touristy resort areas around the oceanfront, and then maybe 10% of it are the "bad areas."

Have you ever actually been to the area?  Based on your description, I suspect "no."

Dude, I live here.
AN63093

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

Lean MA.

??

Dude, I live here.

Great, so do I, downtown Norfolk.

You are not accurately describing VA Beach.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

Va Beach's crime rate is lower than average.
Rjjr77
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »

Virgina has better weather and people.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »

MA.

I love New England culture and food.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »