Pelosi is Confronted By Protesters Angry About Her Immigration Talks With Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:02:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pelosi is Confronted By Protesters Angry About Her Immigration Talks With Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pelosi is Confronted By Protesters Angry About Her Immigration Talks With Trump  (Read 846 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

I never said they immigrate to America out of altruism. I said that paying taxes when you don't have to, knowing that you probably won't benefit from it very much is an altruistic thing to do. That doesn't mean that all of them do it for altruistic reasons, but some of them do. If you ever listened to anything they said or if you had ever actually spoken to one of them, you would know that a lot of DREAMers and other undocumented immigrants feel a profound gratitude for their situation and want to be able to contribute to prove themselves as worthwhile members of the community. Of course, there's lots of reasons why someone would pay taxes. Like the article indicated, it's a good idea to do that to build a positive history for yourself in case you ever need to prove that you'rw worthwhile to a judge, but it doesn't take away the fact that they contributed.

Also, you totally just read four articles and cherry picked the parts that you agreed with and conveniently ignored the parts that you didn't. I mean, they clearly state that it isn't just sales tax paid but also property tax, income tax, social security, and other self-reported taxes. And even if it's about half of them to report their taxes, that's a pretty huge number considering that they don't have to and that some of them might feel like it would be a big risk to themselves or their families if they do (not to mention that some of them might not even know that they can do that or how to do it).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »

Seeing Pelosi mad and visibly upset will give me the strength to get through this week.

She becomes more Lucille Bluth like by the day.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

Also don't give immigration activists the "duhhhh but we're better than Trump right?" thing that Dem hacks do when poor people are upset at them. Obama may still end up having more deportees than Trump will.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »

I still don't know how terrible a path to citizenship is for people who haven't committed crimes. And by crimes I mean violent crimes or sale of illegal drugs (not marijuana). Get them on a path, have them start to pay back taxes, everyone wins. Don't see what's so bad about that.
The argument is that it creates bad precedent for future waves of migration. We reward illegals for bad behavior now and we'll just be doing it every twenty years. I'm all for an easier immigration program to allow these same people the chance to enter the country legally, but I don't see what is solved by just absolving them of their indiscretions.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »

I still don't know how terrible a path to citizenship is for people who haven't committed crimes. And by crimes I mean violent crimes or sale of illegal drugs (not marijuana). Get them on a path, have them start to pay back taxes, everyone wins. Don't see what's so bad about that.
The argument is that it creates bad precedent for future waves of migration. We reward illegals for bad behavior now and we'll just be doing it every twenty years. I'm all for an easier immigration program to allow these same people the chance to enter the country legally, but I don't see what is solved by just absolving them of their indiscretions.

That falls apart though because DREAMers did nothing wrong. Just existing in a country isn't a sin, especially when they didn't even come here of their own free will.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

That falls apart though because DREAMers did nothing wrong. Just existing in a country isn't a sin, especially when they didn't even come here of their own free will.

No one said it was a sin.

Being deported to your country of origin isn't a punishment either.

You guys sound more nationalists than the nationalists when you act like being made to live in a non-white majority country is some horrible crime against humanity.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »

Why does it seem like threads consistently get derailed by Mortimer when immigration comes up?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

Why does it seem like threads consistently get derailed by Mortimer when immigration comes up?

*bashfully gets back into line*

I'm sorry Virginia! Here I'll reply to the OP now. Tongue

I actually don't think it's a bad thing that some DREAMers are advocating for a better policy, and I certainly don't think it's "ungrateful." I don't think that any human being should have to be "grateful" to their elected leaders for enacting policies that will help them or their families or people that they care about live safer and happier lives. Democracy is about discourse, sharing of ideas, and arriving at solutions through engaging in that discourse. The point that we can't have discourse is the point that we stop being a democracy.

While I personally understand the gravity of the current situation and that we really need to take what we can get to save people's lives, that does not mean that we should suddenly give up on the things that are most important to us. If all people do is kowtow to Nancy Pelosi and kiss her feet, saying how amazingly wonderful she is, she won't have any reason to believe that there is anyone that wants her to keep fighting for better policies when she has the chance. She even said herself that she's happy that people are out there advocating for more. Of course, she's frustrated that they are being so confrontational and accusing about it because she's human, but I think that she understands.

I personally favor kindness and advocating for policy through kindness, as opposed to advocating for policy through nasty accusations, but I understand that I'm in a MASSIVE minority in having that view about politics. At the same time, there's this really troubling trend of people thinking that social mobilization for achieving better policy is somehow this really bad thing that should be frowned upon, and that we should instead worship our politicians as gods that bestow us with wonderful fruits. It would be great if that trend stopped asap.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »

Seeing Pelosi mad and visibly upset will give me the strength to get through this week.

She becomes more Lucille Bluth like by the day.

What is wrong with you? She cut a deal to try to protect dreamers. Remember, this is the minority leader, not the president or house speaker.

On top of that she got her dreamer bill passed in the house last time. If this kids want to complain go talk to the senate.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »

The Wicked Witch lost control of her flying monkeys. Very sad!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »

The Wicked Witch lost control of her flying monkeys. Very sad!

Why are you bringing up the fact that Kellyanne Conway can't control Trump? That has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies