Which party is more conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:11:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which party is more conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which party is more conservative?
GOP (I'm American.)
GOP (I'm European.)
GOP (other)
AfD (I'm American.)
AfD (I'm European.)
AfD (other)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which party is more conservative?  (Read 2026 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »

Following the "Which party is more liberal?" thread.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »

AfD by far.  The GOP is a big-tent party, whereas the AfD is staunchly conservative.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:21 PM »

Could PEGIDA be compared with the Tea Party movement?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »

That's not easy to answer, because it is in the nature of American political parties that they cover a broader political spectrum than political parties in Europe usually do.

That being said, the GOP roughly covers the spectrum of AfD, CSU, and at least the CDU's conservative wing. However, I would say the CDU also partially overlaps with the Democratic Party's more centrist wing.

In addition, since the GOP has shown an increasing tendency to embrace more extreme positions in the past decade or so, I'm also inclined to say that the GOP's ideological center increasingly aligns where the AfD stands in Germany.

In short, both the Trumpists and the Freedom Caucus would found themselves at home in the AfD (as the AfD's economically populist and the AfD's more "libertarian" wing respectively). More moderate types like Kasich, McCain etc. would certainly belong into the CDU.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »

AfD by far.  The GOP is a big-tent party, whereas the AfD is staunchly conservative.

I don't think you can call AfD staunchly anything, except perhaps anti-foreigner. The only thing that makes this question at all difficult is AfD's admitted lack of any principles outside stopping immigration.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »

That's not easy to answer, because it is in the nature of American political parties that they cover a broader political spectrum than political parties in Europe usually do.

That being said, the GOP roughly covers the spectrum of AfD, CSU, and at least the CDU's conservative wing. However, I would say the CDU also partially overlaps with the Democratic Party's more centrist wing.

In addition, since the GOP has shown an increasing tendency to embrace more extreme positions in the past decade or so, I'm also inclined to say that the GOP's ideological center increasingly aligns where the AfD stands in Germany.

In short, both the Trumpists and the Freedom Caucus would found themselves at home in the AfD (as the AfD's economically populist and the AfD's more "libertarian" wing respectively). More moderate types like Kasich, McCain etc. would certainly belong into the CDU.

Who in the Democratic Party is as anti-SSM as most of the CDU?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »

Who in the Democratic Party is as anti-SSM as most of the CDU?

Maybe that's the wrong question.

More than a quarter of the CDU voted in favour of legalizing same-sex marriage, including defense minister Ursula von der Leyen, head of the Chancellery Peter Altmaier, and CDU secretary-general Peter Tauber.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »

Bernie would be center-right in Europe.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »

Bernie supported Corbyn

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/02/i-dont-think-he-needs-my-advice-bernie-sanders-applauds-jeremy-corbyn
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »

ayy lmao
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 07:48:48 AM by mvd10 »

Comparative politics is very sketchy, but I agree with Great Again. The GOP still is a big tent party and candidates like Kasich, Jeb and Christie still received significant amount of votes. So I agree that the GOP roughly encompasses the European far-right (Trump, Bannon) + the more right-wing factions of the European centre-right (I can't imagine people like Seehofer, Fillon and Zijlstra as Democrats for different reasons).

But the question is whether you can call AfD conservative. They only have clear positions on immigration and if the evolution of other far-right parties is any indication the economically statist wing (I'm not really sure whether left-wing is the right word for this) will be much stronger than the libertarian wing in a couple of years.

Pls stop with the "random DSA dude would be centrist in Europe" meme btw.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »

Poster 1: [Snarky claim that AfD is reactionary, not conservative]
Poster 2: [Snarky claim that the GOP, too, is reactionary, not conservative]
SamTilden2020

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

This. I doubt people like Collins and McCain would be AfD (Likely CDU/CSU).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »

This
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

I don't think you can call AfD staunchly anything, except perhaps anti-foreigner. The only thing that makes this question at all difficult is AfD's admitted lack of any principles outside stopping immigration.

Many don't believe in climate change and (from what I can gather) are less protectionist and are more for tax cuts than people like Marine Le Pen.  In addition, I believe they spoke out against the SSM decision.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »

Depends.  On issues of immigration AfD is definitely further right although the GOP under Trump is increasingly aligning with them.  But on economic policies I would say GOP is further right as I don't believe AfD favours dismantling Germany's social safety net which is far more generous than the US so it depends on the issue.  In comparing German to US politics, I would put as follows:

AfD - Like the Trump Republicans

FDP - A modified version of the Libertarians otherwise your William Weld types or perhaps your more market oriented Democrats

CDU/CSU - Most like the Blue Dog Democrats and perhaps historically aligned with the GOP, but very few like them are left.  They would be closest to types like Lincoln Chaffee, Arlen Specter, and Jim Leach who all eventually left the GOP.  Otherwise they would be like the Rockefeller Republicans or Eisenhower ones.

SPD - Similar to the Progressive caucus in the Democrats and somewhat like Bernie Sanders too.

Greens - Similar to Ralph Nader and Jill Stein

Die Linke - Like your Marxists you find on university campuses but few elsewhere.  Would be like a Noam Chomsky led party, even Bernie Sanders would be too centrist for them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »

Depends.  On issues of immigration AfD is definitely further right although the GOP under Trump is increasingly aligning with them.  But on economic policies I would say GOP is further right as I don't believe AfD favours dismantling Germany's social safety net which is far more generous than the US so it depends on the issue.  In comparing German to US politics, I would put as follows:

FDP - A modified version of the Libertarians otherwise your William Weld types or perhaps your more market oriented Democrats

CDU/CSU - Most like the Blue Dog Democrats and perhaps historically aligned with the GOP, but very few like them are left.  They would be closest to types like Lincoln Chaffee, Arlen Specter, and Jim Leach who all eventually left the GOP.  Otherwise they would be like the Rockefeller Republicans or Eisenhower ones.

SPD - Similar to the Progressive caucus in the Democrats and somewhat like Bernie Sanders too.

Die Linke - Like your Marxists you find on university campuses but few elsewhere.  Would be like a Noam Chomsky led party, even Bernie Sanders would be too centrist for them.

I believe more CDU/CSU politicians oppose SSM than do Republicans.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »

Yeah, sure, Kretschmann and Ozdemir  would sure fit in with Jill Stein.

tbh all these comparisons are decidely wonky when you look at them. What the hell does it mean to be "like a Rockefeller Republican" in a modern German context? It's nonsense.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »

Not sure about Ralph Nader, but Jill Stein would definitely be a member of the Left in Germany.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »

It depends on how you define conservative. AfD's last campaign was co led by a lesbian. Unlikely to happen in the GOP. On the other hand, AfD runs to the right of the GOP establishment types on issues like immigration. AfD is also split into factions, however, and its more economically left wing faction is to the left of most of the GOP, while the other side is almost full on Rothbard. I guess I would say the GOP because AfD is better described as right wing populist than conservative (a label best bestowed on the CSU and pre-Merkel CDU in Germany)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »

Republicans are more big-tent. AfD is more concentrated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies