Direct Democracy Survey (Results) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:54:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Direct Democracy Survey (Results) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Direct Democracy Survey (Results)  (Read 948 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: September 20, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

Back in January, when the last regional governor forfeited his offices and government of the first Fremont Constitution had for all practical purposes ceased to exist, I considered proposing direct democracy under the Second Constitution. The idea then was to adopt a constitution modeled after that of the Roman Republic, with legislative power vested in a popular assembly presided over by one or more elected magistrates chosen to carry out the laws and give order to what might otherwise become an anarchic free-for-all. Ultimately, the history of low turnout in regional elections convinced me that this was not the right choice for Fremont, and I'm not convinced that this would magically solve the activity issues being experienced by other regions. That said, I do agree with Yankee that this is an option that should remain on the table.

If a region were to implement such a plan, my recommendation would be to expand by constitutional amendment the membership of the existing legislative body to include all enfranchised citizens; but that's a discussion for another day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies