College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:28:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all  (Read 4089 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »

link - Brookings

The highlights of the highlights.
only 39% of college students think the 1st protects hate speech
62% of Dem students think it's ok to shout down a speaker they disagree with
19% of all students think it's ok to use violence to stop a speaker they don't agree with
62% of all students think every event on campus should have someone from the "other side" to argue their points

freaking disgusting
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »

The events would be the same on the other side. Just go look, not hard to find.
I don't understand this statement.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »

The events would be the same on the other side. Just go look, not hard to find.
I don't understand this statement.

Yeah, not surprised but conservatives want CNN and MSNBC shut down because of their content. They want all liberal protesters shot, etc. They don't believe in free speech either.
oh, sure.  Those guys are assholes too.  This is when it's good to be on the side that is 100% in agreement with liberal values.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Perhaps they will try and mimic their classmates on the left?

Do the people that defend this kind of thing (or handwave it away, or try to make fun of the people bringing it up as in the other thread) not see what this will lead to?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »

You must be a college student.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2017, 06:13:37 PM by Vice President PiT »

well, see, you don't understand the 1st Amendment (you think Cora getting banned here involves it somehow) and you want to stop people from saying things you don't like.  And with what the thread is about....kind of funny.  Doubly so if you actually are a college student.

(and the only things true in your rant was that I do enjoy triggering liberals and I'm a middle aged male, at least you didn't mention bowling shirts....not all stereotypes are accurate, especially ones made up in your mind)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »

We're not the middle-aged man who spends all his time on a website arguing with those more than 20 years younger than himself.  Nothing better to do with that thing you call a life?
right, 'cause young adults spending time on here arguing with people 20 years older than them is a great example of life living!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »

Please show me where I've suggested private universities shouldn't be able to dis-invite speakers?  Keep in mind Berkeley is in California and has the Leonard Law.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »

Please show me where I've suggested private universities shouldn't be able to dis-invite speakers?  Keep in mind Berkeley is in California and has the Leonard Law.
You said it was disgusting and ran away. Not exactly a foolproof way to layout your position.
yeah, haven't been back in the thread since Roll Eyes
You must be logged in to read this quote.
so, like the moron in the other thread, you are saying that it's uncool for old guys to talk politics on an online message board, but totally cool for teenagers and young adults?  'cause it seems like that's what you're saying.  You don't see the problems with this?  Two really obvious ones, probably a couple more I'm not seeing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »

For the third bit...so the vast majority disagree?
Thank Og it only takes "vast majorities" to make people dead and small groups and individuals never do Roll Eyes

1 in 5 think it's ok to initiate violence to further their political goals.  It was the part I found the most disturbing.  That is a huge problem, a lot of people are going to be hurt and killed because of this line of thinking....but whatever right?  They're just college kids, what have people in their late teens and early 20s ever done that was violent?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »

Yeah, it's clear to me that generation theory is largely bunkum, and we should not internalise its pseudoscience.
I don't know why people keep buying into a theory that essentially peddles a "narrative". That's all generation theory is; you have nice neat little boxes that explain why a generation did something and why they were different from another, no critical thinking required.
unless them oldies post on a political based message boards right?  Then it's the funniest thing since dogs riding surfboards.  It'll floor ya!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies