College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all  (Read 4082 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

link - Brookings

The highlights of the highlights.
only 39% of college students think the 1st protects hate speech
62% of Dem students think it's ok to shout down a speaker they disagree with
19% of all students think it's ok to use violence to stop a speaker they don't agree with
62% of all students think every event on campus should have someone from the "other side" to argue their points

freaking disgusting

First statistic, I'd like to see what the general population's number is. This is one of the few stats here that I suspect might, repeat might, be somewhere off the general population, but it wouldn't shock me if it was relatively close

Second statistic, yes, the First Amendment does in fact protect heckling. They understand the First Amendment just fine

81% of college students disagree that it's okay to use violence change stop a speaker they disagree with. I would be surprised if that number is far off the general population

For the final stat, it's commendable that students would prefer a given take between opposing viewpoints regardless of the subject. That is small L liberalism in a nutshell. It doesn't indicate that students believe it's okay to disrupt or shout down speakers if it's just one-sided. Also note they didn't indicate that they would feel any different about a liberal speaker having a conservative to offer a countervailing viewpoint.

Yep more unwarranted bitching by oldsters about college students and safe space BS
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »

Yes Jedi.  I was on the train a while ago and this 60-something lady with long gray hair knocked over a young guys bike so she could sit down and proceeded to go on a rant about how he didn't have a right and she's a senior citizen and deserves some respect and why doesn't society respect seniors anymore...

Straight from the generation that pioneered disrespect for seniors.  Now that that generation is gone and the boomers are on top, they turn their sniveling faces to the youth.  Truly a sad, pathetic, dangerous, and destructive group of wrinkled up toddlers.

Ugh. Could you people quit bashing "baby boomers" already? Attacking an entire generation of people is pretty absurd; about as absurd as the hatred directed by many towards millennials. The problem isn't a generation of Americans, it's wealth; upper middle and upper class Americans are disproportionately older and White. Baby boomers constitute the vast majority of these socioeconomic classes. The problem isn't baby boomers, it's wealthy people who often have an awful sense of entitlement that they project onto others. There are many lower and working class baby boomers, and their attitudes and behaviors do not align with the stereotypes of their generation. Save your ire for where it belongs: aimed at the upper classes.

Very good post
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies