College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:52:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College students don't understand the 1st Amendment, at all  (Read 4079 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »

The events would be the same on the other side. Just go look, not hard to find.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »

I don't understand this statement.

Yeah, not surprised but conservatives want CNN and MSNBC shut down because of their content. They want all liberal protesters shot, etc. They don't believe in free speech either.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »

I don't understand this statement.

Yeah, not surprised but conservatives want CNN and MSNBC shut down because of their content. They want all liberal protesters shot, etc. They don't believe in free speech either.

"both sides", right?

Yes, both sides do it, doesn't make it right at all. It's clear to see why it's worsening though since both sides want to suppress the other. Equally wrong.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »

link - Brookings

The highlights of the highlights.
only 39% of college students think the 1st protects hate speech
62% of Dem students think it's ok to shout down a speaker they disagree with
19% of all students think it's ok to use violence to stop a speaker they don't agree with
62% of all students think every event on campus should have someone from the "other side" to argue their points

freaking disgusting

First statistic, I'd like to see what the general population's number is. This is one of the few stats here that I suspect might, repeat might, be somewhere off the general population, but it wouldn't shock me if it was relatively close

Second statistic, yes, the First Amendment does in fact protect heckling. They understand the First Amendment just fine

81% of college students disagree that it's okay to use violence change stop a speaker they disagree with. I would be surprised if that number is far off the general population

For the final stat, it's commendable that students would prefer a given take between opposing viewpoints regardless of the subject. That is small L liberalism in a nutshell. It doesn't indicate that students believe it's okay to disrupt or shout down speakers if it's just one-sided. Also note they didn't indicate that they would feel any different about a liberal speaker having a conservative to offer a countervailing viewpoint.

Yep more unwarranted bitching by oldsters about college students and safe space BS

Pretty much, the true entitlement generation in a nutshell. When you see someone throwing a tantrum in public it's either a young child or a boomer who didn't get some type of "respect".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies