The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:42:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 217114 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: August 20, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »

#DoubleDigitField
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1676 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:50 PM »

Delaney explains how he was able to win in a brutally conservative 55 - 39 Clinton district:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1677 on: August 21, 2018, 12:31:22 AM »

The number of people testing the waters this time has got to be a record.  The 2016 GOP race also had a high number of people testing the waters (the bulk of whom ended up running), but not quite *this* high.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1678 on: August 21, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »

Hadn't seen this on the thread so ---
 https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/20/opinions/admiral-mcraven-for-president-2020-trump-wheeler/index.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1679 on: August 21, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »

Warren makes another present tense denial:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/402868-elizabeth-warren-says-focused-on-senate-race-not-on-running-for-president

You must be logged in to read this quote.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #1680 on: August 22, 2018, 01:33:53 AM »

His denials are much more credible than the rest though.

He'd make an amazing VP for anybody however. I've been boosting McRaven (for exactly this reason - see my earlier posts from about a year ago) since December 2016 and him running would make me switch my early support away from Warren.
96FJV
Rookie
« Reply #1681 on: August 22, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

I feel like McRaven would be great for someone who Trump would claim is an elitist. Like for Warren, Harris, Gillibrand, etc. Republicans always scream about Vets and the Military, so I'd love to watch them attack McRaven.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1682 on: August 22, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »

I feel like McRaven would be great for someone who Trump would claim is an elitist. Like for Warren, Harris, Gillibrand, etc. Republicans always scream about Vets and the Military, so I'd love to watch them attack McRaven.

Well, maybe the VP spot, although I prefer professionals mostly. McRaven would be a good National Security Advisor, Secretary of Defense or Veteran's Secretary.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1683 on: August 22, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »

Well, maybe the VP spot, although I prefer professionals mostly. McRaven would be a good National Security Advisor, Secretary of Defense or Veteran's Secretary.

agree with pretty much all of you. Mostly included it since it was relevant, I don't think he'd run. He was floated as a VP for Sec. Clinton, no? He seems to be a good speaker and his resume is stellar so he's a solid VP pick for anyone and absolutely is cabinet material.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1684 on: August 22, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »

Elizabeth Warren appeared on the news today and stated in regards to the Mollie Tibbets murder that Americans need to be more focused on "real issues."

Looks like she's flunked Part 1 of her electabilty test for 2020.  Shades of Dukakis 1988 when he gave a robotic, technocratic answer on the death penalty in the event a perp raped and murdered his wife.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #1685 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »

Elizabeth Warren appeared on the news today and stated in regards to the Mollie Tibbets murder that Americans need to be more focused on "real issues."

She's right though. Do you really think people are going to remember that in 2020? They'll probably try and convict the guy next year before anybody votes.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1686 on: August 22, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »

She's right though. Do you really think people are going to remember that in 2020? They'll probably try and convict the guy next year before anybody votes.
Did she have to sound so cold-hearted and technocratic, though?  I mean, really.  What is it with people from Massachusetts and their inability to project empathy?

Warren with this.  Romney with the "47%" and the "I like to fire people!" comments.  Dukakis with his robotic answer on his wife's rapist and murderer getting the death penalty.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1687 on: August 22, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »

Dukakis was right too.

I think you are right that nobody will remember this in 2020, but it is not the sort of thing she should be in the habit of saying when it comes to debate time.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1688 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »

Dukakis was right too.

I think you are right that nobody will remember this in 2020, but it is not the sort of thing she should be in the habit of saying when it comes to debate time.
Whether they're right or wrong isn't the answer.  It's HOW you answer that matters.

Someone like Stacey Abrams, Beto O'Rourke, Phil Bredesen, etc. would have been able to articulate their views on this issue in a much more empathetic and classy way.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1689 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »

Whether they're right or wrong isn't the answer.  It's HOW you answer that matters.

Agreed. I was trying to say that Dukakis was substantively right too as an illustration of the fact that being substantively right doesn't much matter.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1690 on: August 22, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »

Whether they're right or wrong isn't the answer.  It's HOW you answer that matters.

Agreed. I was trying to say that Dukakis was substantively right too as an illustration of the fact that being substantively right doesn't much matter.

Dukakis was hurt by criminal justice issues because in 1988, we were coming off an over 2-decade wave of soaring crime rates, including rape and murder. We are not coming off a 2-decade wave of soaring crime rates today. The context matters.

The 2-decade wave that we are coming off of today is one of income inequality, and that should be the Democrats' advantage, but they won't because they prefer instead to focus on social issues. Warren is actually in a much stronger position to take advantage of that then Abrams, O'Rourke, or Bredesen. And I say that as someone who thinks both O'Rourke and Abrams will win.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1691 on: August 23, 2018, 05:27:21 PM »

Sanders just had the distinction of being the only Democrat to vote no on the Defense-Labor-HHS appropriations Minibus.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1692 on: August 23, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »

Trump has mocked veterans and their families on numerous occasions. It's likely that he will do it again without any consequence, especially if it is against a political opponent of his. Yet he and the Republicans will still use chicken-hawk tactics to spite Democrats. Republicans are repulsively capable of having their cake and eating it too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1693 on: August 24, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »

Anonymous sources in Tom Steyer’s orbit tell CNBC that he will “likely run” for president if Dems do well in the midterms:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/23/tom-steyer-considers-run-for-president-as-he-pushes-to-impeach-trump.html

Avenatti is attending the DNC meeting in Chicago:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/23/avenatti-dnc-chicago-795129

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1694 on: August 24, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »

Biden:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/403335-bidens-midterm-strategy-has-a-presidential-feel

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1695 on: August 25, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »

Bullock (in NH) says he has no timetable for a 2020 decision:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1696 on: August 25, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »

Interview with Buttigieg in Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/pete_buttigieg-36-year-old-mayor-south-bend-indiana-2020-713662/

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1697 on: August 25, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »

I think the chance Bullock runs is at least 90%. Probably he'll announce somewhere in between; not the first one but not the last one.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1698 on: August 25, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »

I think the chance Bullock runs is at least 90%. Probably he'll announce somewhere in between; not the first one but not the last one.

Sitting governors are often among the last presidential candidates to announce their candidacy, simply because it's harder to justify being a part-time governor than it is a part-time legislator.

That said, small population states like Montana tend to have short legislative sessions at the beginning of the year.  According to this:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/about-state-legislatures/2017-state-legislative-session-calendar.aspx

Montana's 2017 legislative session ended on April 28th of that year.  If it's similar in 2019, then maybe Bullock will officially launch his candidacy just after that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1699 on: August 25, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »

Sanders just had the distinction of being the only Democrat to vote no on the Defense-Labor-HHS appropriations Minibus.

Sanders isn't a Democrat. He caucuses with the Democrats. There is a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies