The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 221518 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: September 16, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »

Avenatti:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/406923-avenatti-on-possible-2020-presidential-run-im-getting-more-serious-by-the

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1826 on: September 16, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »

Probably the same parents of Korean POWs who begged Trump for their children's remains in 2016, in other words no one. Tongue
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1827 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »

"I'm a lawyer and I took gov in high school vote for me for prez"
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #1828 on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »

So tired of this prick Avenatti.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1829 on: September 16, 2018, 11:09:28 PM »

Honestly old people who watch cable news tend to love him in my experience. He could do well just based on that.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1830 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2018, 07:45:09 PM by Reform Revolution »

Mwahaha, watch as democrats actually vote for this weirdo.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1831 on: September 17, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1832 on: September 17, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »

tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1833 on: September 17, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »

oooOOoooh
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1834 on: September 17, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »

More from Patrick here:

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/09/17/deval-patrick-2020-race

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1835 on: September 17, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

Everyone's helping Rob Sand in Iowa:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/17/rob-sand-iowa-robert-mueller-826314

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1836 on: September 17, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2018, 10:44:39 PM by Lakigigar »

Biden is reportedly "convinced he can beat Trump", but remains uncertain about pulling the trigger:

I wouldn't if I were Biden. He's literally one of the most obvious possibly candidates for a #MeToo scandal to occur during the race.

I also doubt he would gather much enthusiasm (among white non-educated, among millenials, among black voters, among hispanics, among females and among progressives), and he also has too much history and is too affiliated with the establihsment... He'll probably still win, but he's not a strong candidate, and Trump has a shot of beating him... I also believe compared to other democrats Biden will do worse in the rust belt. The democrats need a candidate who will win back the Rust Belt and win disenfranchised voters back, and Biden isn't a good option for that. Though Biden would do well in Arizona, North Carolina and Florida, because he'll probably win some independents / moderates and conservatives, and have a larger share of older people than other democrats.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1837 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »

Inslee:

https://q13fox.com/2018/09/18/governor-jay-inslee-wont-rule-out-2020-presidential-run/

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1838 on: September 18, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »

The Senate voted 93-7 today to fund certain departments for all of fiscal 2019 and keep others operating through December 7. Voting to shut down the government instead were Sanders and 6 Republicans.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1839 on: September 18, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »

Merkley hiring in Iowa and NH:

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/eyeing-2020-jeff-merkeley-hires-iowa-new-hampshire-n910751

McAuliffe not ruling anything out:

https://www.voanews.com/a/in-iowa-mcauliffe-says-he-s-not-ruling-out-2020-campaign/4577319.html

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1840 on: September 19, 2018, 12:51:06 AM »

I really like Merkley and he seems to be going for it, but I do wonder what his name recognition is like outside of Oregon? Even compared to people like Tim Ryan or Julian Castro he’s not exactly well known and if there is a crowded field surely that would count against him?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1841 on: September 19, 2018, 07:11:10 AM »

Some can use the race to raise their name recognition a bit. Most know they have a long shot of winning the presidency.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1842 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »

Interesting...
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1843 on: September 19, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »

Interesting...

any reason he'd go to help other than presidential ambitions? personal connections or anything? Cuz this seems quite out of the blue
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1844 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »

Interesting...

any reason he'd go to help other than presidential ambitions? personal connections or anything? Cuz this seems quite out of the blue

He is chair of the DPCC so maybe as part of that job he does go round the country to campaign for D candidates?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1845 on: September 20, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »

Klobuchar wrote the forward to a new book of essays titled Nevertheless, We Persisted: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/563334/nevertheless-we-persisted-by-foreword-by-senator-amy-klobuchar/9781524771966/

And she was on The Daily Show to promote it: https://youtu.be/G2dbjJxoqME
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1846 on: September 20, 2018, 12:21:44 AM »

Interesting...

He is chair of the DPCC so maybe as part of that job he does go round the country to campaign for D candidates?

Yeah, that makes more sense. Cicilline isn't running...though he wouldn't have made a bad candidate to primary Raimondo this year.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1847 on: September 20, 2018, 03:53:13 AM »

I really like Merkley and he seems to be going for it, but I do wonder what his name recognition is like outside of Oregon? Even compared to people like Tim Ryan or Julian Castro he’s not exactly well known and if there is a crowded field surely that would count against him?

Good question, but at the same time one must question to what extent the "well known" factor actually plays a role when it comes not only to Democratic Party Nominations in recent years, but perhaps more significantly winning Democratic Presidential candidates....

How well known was Bill Clinton back in '92 when he ran for the nomination of the Democratic Party?

How well known was Barack Obama back in '08 when he ran for the nomination of the Democratic Party?

How well known were Presidential Candidates Gore, Kerry, and HRC when they ran prior to winning the Democratic nominations in '00/'04/'16 respectively and ended up losing Presidential Elections?

How well known as Bernie Sanders back in '16, who might well have actually out-performed HRC in a Trump vs Sanders matchup?

I don't believe that being relatively unknown over the past ~30 Years is actually a detriment at all for Democratic Presidential Candidates (Perhaps quite the opposite honestly) when it comes to successfully winning a GE PRES campaign.

Key problem for Merkley would be getting over the name recognition hump versus heavy weights on the Progressive Dem side of the Party, surviving the early primaries, closing the deal with Dem Primary voters and sympathetic Indies, to be able to compete successfully against DJT running for reelection running virtually unopposed (Maybe Huh).

I really don't think much of the current Democratic Party "crop" with name recognition (Warren, Booker, etc....) would likely perform well in a GE Environment.... Only exception might well be Biden....
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1848 on: September 20, 2018, 04:50:26 AM »

Good question, but at the same time one must question to what extent the "well known" factor actually plays a role when it comes not only to Democratic Party Nominations in recent years, but perhaps more significantly winning Democratic Presidential candidates....

How well known was Bill Clinton back in '92 when he ran for the nomination of the Democratic Party?

How well known was Barack Obama back in '08 when he ran for the nomination of the Democratic Party?

How well known were Presidential Candidates Gore, Kerry, and HRC when they ran prior to winning the Democratic nominations in '00/'04/'16 respectively and ended up losing Presidential Elections?

How well known as Bernie Sanders back in '16, who might well have actually out-performed HRC in a Trump vs Sanders matchup?

I don't believe that being relatively unknown over the past ~30 Years is actually a detriment at all for Democratic Presidential Candidates (Perhaps quite the opposite honestly) when it comes to successfully winning a GE PRES campaign.

Key problem for Merkley would be getting over the name recognition hump versus heavy weights on the Progressive Dem side of the Party, surviving the early primaries, closing the deal with Dem Primary voters and sympathetic Indies, to be able to compete successfully against DJT running for reelection running virtually unopposed (Maybe Huh).

I really don't think much of the current Democratic Party "crop" with name recognition (Warren, Booker, etc....) would likely perform well in a GE Environment.... Only exception might well be Biden....

Obama was surely more well known that Merkley? He was the keynote speaker at the convention 4 years earlier, and I was still in school in another country but I remember people talking about him in about 2006 as the potential first black president (though the British news did excessively cover the Obama vs Clinton race).

You’re right about Bill Clinton, but I guess I’d argue that primaries were different back then since there wasn’t social media so retail politics and going round talking to voters was more important - also there was only a field of about 5 (Tsongas, Brown, Harkin, Kerrey) and in 2020 it’s likely to be three times that. My concern is that if there’s an undercard debate people like Avenatti who are well known will get in to the top one whilst more viable candidates like Merkley, Bullock might get relegated if they don’t do more to increase their notoriety away from their home states.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1849 on: September 20, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »

Hickenlooper was asked about his new PAC, and whether it means he's running for prez:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2018/09/18/governor-john-hickenlooper-flirting-2020-bid-president/1354092002/

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies