The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:16:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 217468 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: September 23, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »

Sad
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »

But muh liberty
And if you're serious, you can't decide that your strict theological definition of "taking the Lord's name in vain" is the right one, nor can you impose it on other people.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »

Cuban says there’s a 10% chance that he runs for president, and that it’s the only political office he would consider running for:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735192-mark-cuban-says-theres-a-10-percent-chance-he-runs-for-president

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This guy's making our work so easy Tongue
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »

I'm kind of disappointed that Sanders' son doesn't use "your" and "you're" properly...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:30 AM »

Murphy says “I’ll rule it out for you” when asked about running for prez in 2020.  Though when asked for the third time he just says “I’m running for reelection” so read into that what you will:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/democratic-sen-chris-murphy-rules-out-2020-presidential-bid/

This is not Shermanesque, but it's coming pretty close.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:43:58 AM »

Jimmy Carter talks about the necessity of diplomacy, to avoid war & conflict & criticizes Obama sharply saying Democrats must be held to a higher standard than Republicans. He also repeated both him & his wife voted for Sanders & had some criticism for Clinton.

I think a dovish foreign policy candidate will get his vote, not that it matters a whole lot today -

Saying that he did not think “there’s much hope now that Israelis will ever permit a two-state solution,” he knocked Obama on the Middle East: “He made some very wonderful statements, in my opinion, when he first got in office, and then he reneged on that.” Recalling that “we have 22 votes in our family and Obama got all 22 of them,” he complained that Obama had “refused” to talk to North Korea more, and then Carter lamented the fact that Obama joined in the bombing of Yemen, which Carter says is the most interesting place he’s ever been. (He even tried chewing khat, an addictive shrub that acts like amphetamines.)

Carter noted that in the primary, “We voted for Sanders.” “I don’t care if he gets rich or Clinton gets rich or whatever,” he said. “I don’t want to get into a bragging position; I’m not trying to do that. But I announced when I was defeated I was not going to be on corporate boards, I was not going to try to enrich myself with speeches. I was patterning my policy after Harry Truman.” When I compared the Clinton Foundation with the Carter Center, Carter noted: “Rosie and I put money in the Carter Center. We never take any out.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/opinion/sunday/jimmy-carter-lusts-trump-posting.html

How is it a tea leaf?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:09:20 AM »

That is very good news for her. If she manages to be competitive with the African American vote she'd be a formidable force.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »

For the second year in a row, Bernie Sanders will give his own response to the State of the Union, separate from the official Democratic response:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/371237-sanders-to-deliver-his-own-state-of-the-union-response

Ugh, seriously, what an attention-seeking snob. As if there will be any difference between his message and that of Kennedy III.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »

More from that Oprah interview: She admits that she did actually think about running for prez when people started urging her to run post-Golden Globes, but that God hasn't told her to run, so....

https://www.click2houston.com/entertainment-tonight/oprah-winfrey-admits-that-she-did-think-about-running-for-president

Thank god, then Tongue I don't want more than one major party ticket with people who hear voices.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

God, this is amazing. He doesn't go all "I'm focused on my current job", "I'm not running for President" etc. He's just being honest. This piece just reaffirmed my opinion of him as the best rising star in the U.S. Tongue
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:51 AM »

CPAC starts in two days but, as with last year, it's mostly been gutted of Trump-skeptical voices, and so it's not a testing ground for likely presidential candidates in the next election cycle, as it has been in years past.  No Kasich, Amash, Sasse, etc., so we're not getting anyone with much chance of running against Trump for the 2020 GOP nomination, unless you actually think Ted Cruz is in that category.  Oddly enough though, Gary Johnson will be there, though participating in a panel discussion rather than a solo speaking slot:

http://cpac.conservative.org/agenda/
http://cpac.conservative.org/speakers/

Oh, and it's not just for Americans.  Among the scheduled speakers are Nigel Farage and Marion Marechal-Le Pen.  Tongue

Nice to see that freedom is no longer important for American Conservatives, and fascism is tolerated!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »

This seems pretty close to Sherman-esque? At least the closest we've got since Kaine, if my memory serves?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:10:40 PM »

This seems pretty close to Sherman-esque? At least the closest we've got since Kaine, if my memory serves?

I'd actually say more revealing than Schiff's answer is the answer given by his consultant ("President is kind of a stretch for a member of the House").  That's not the sort of thing one would say if their boss is actually considering a run for president.  And presumably his own consultant would know if he was thinking about running for president.

Yep, meant a combination of both. Add Schiff saying the "I'm being asked to run because of Trump" (basically admitting he doesn't have the experience) to what the consultant said, and it seems pretty honest, at least right now.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:56 AM »

Klobuchar and Moulton are both speaking at the AIPAC policy conference in DC next week:

http://www.policyconference.org/gallery/speakers2018.asp

The other Dems speaking there are people who are thought to not have 2020 presidential ambitions, like Bob Menendez and Ben Cardin.

Other 2020 Dems, like Biden, Booker, and Gillibrand, have spoken at this before.  Heck, Kamala Harris did so just last year.  They could probably do so again this year if they really wanted to, but my hunch is that the Democratic primary calculus with respect to Israel policy has now shifted enough that speaking to AIPAC isn’t going to be seen as an obvious electoral asset.

Unfortunate. This will definitely boost my opinion of Klobucher and Moulton, though Gillibrand is still quite pro-Israeli so I still support her.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:41:52 AM »

These are the true 2020 frontrunners.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

Big if true
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »

For what it's worth, based on Brown's comments from last year, it sounds like he's very much open to running for VP.  I mean, it sounded like he was on board with running as Clinton's running mate in 2016, and so I'm guessing he'd be up for VP in 2020 too.

And I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that he has presidential ambition too, but is hiding it until he gets through reelection in November.  But there isn't much evidence to support that at the moment.

I agree, and I think that after the 2018 midterms we would be able to assess that better. If Cordray wins, the chances of VP Brown or maybe President Brown go substantially up.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »

Winfrey says a presidential run would kill her:

http://www.vogue.co.uk/article/august-cover-vogue-2018

She's obviously running. Let's include her in every poll, along with Hillary and Michelle for good measure!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

Reason.com does a writeup of Vohra's run for the LP nomination: http://reason.com/blog/2018/07/06/controversialist-arvin-vohra-announces-2

The LP's announced field already looks like:
  • Joe Exotic
  • Zoltan Istvan
  • Adam Kokesh
  • John McAfee (assuming he doesn't go independent)
  • Arvin Vohra
  • ...plus 10+ additional nobodies

If the field stayed that way, it would probably come down to Kokesh vs. McAfee, although it's tough to find the most "acceptable" candidate out of that list of eccentrics and radicals.

Fortunately, it's becoming more and more clear that Bill Weld is going to announce eventually as well, and he's been doing a good job of alleviating concerns in the party. Reason.com has another writeup that talks about how the race for Party Chair became somewhat of a referendum on Bill Weld's involvement with the party, and the result was an easy victory for pro-Weld incumbent Sarwark over (Ron Paul/Tom Woods backed) anti-Weld challenger Smith. That doesn't mean that Weld has an easy path to the LP nod for 2020, considering that Sarwark also had a dominating debate performance over Smith. But the anti-Weld faction will need better candidates than Kokesh, McAfee, and Vohra to stop him.

This is interesting. Keep up the Libertarian updates!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »

Merkley's doing a whopping four day swing through New Hampshire right now:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180712/oregon-sen-merkley-kicks-off-nh-trip-with-portsmouth-stop

Yep, the key, major races of NH-GOV, NH legislature and Manchester Mayor, races that will decide the fate of the country! Has to be why Merkley is spending so much time there...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »

This is more likely for 2024 than 2020, but I'll post it here anyway:

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article215412900.html

Interesting. Scott, who's not really moderate but also doesn't seem like a flaming conservative, will likely find it hard to win a primary in the post-Trump Republican Party. He also has the problem of Nikki Haley's likely run, which might rob him of a SC victory if they both run.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »

I really doubt he runs against Trump. I take this as a hint that he's a potential contender in 2024, though.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 11:39:06 PM »

Julian Castro still seems intent on running, but no one seems interested:

Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/05/democrats-2020-presidential-fight-netroots-762479

Democrats salivating over AOC is proof that both parties have a volatile base that would embrace a Trumpian figure.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »

Julian Castro still seems intent on running, but no one seems interested:

Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/05/democrats-2020-presidential-fight-netroots-762479

Democrats salivating over AOC is proof that both parties have a volatile base that would embrace a Trumpian figure.

LOL, is everyone you don't like a Trumpian figure, even if they're a progressive 28 year old Hispanic female bartender?

Nope- I don't like Bernie or most congressional Republicans, but they're not Trumpian figures. What I mean by that are sensationalist figures who just spew bombastic, unrealistic platforms and act like children towards enemies, real and perceived, which imo AOC fits quite well.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 03:37:32 AM »

The Joe Biden Foundation has started a new LGBT youth initiative to promote family acceptance.

http://time.com/5361952/joe-biden-lgbtq-family-acceptance-as-you-are/

Why is LGBTQ stuff always pushed on children?

There is a reason why.

Precisely beause of homophobes like you.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies