HOUSE BILL: Reintroduction of Top Secret Classification Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:20:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Reintroduction of Top Secret Classification Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Reintroduction of Top Secret Classification Act (Passed)  (Read 2553 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:45:23 AM »
« edited: November 07, 2017, 10:57:26 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian House of Representatives
pending

[/quote]

Sponsor: NC Yankee for the Game Moderator
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:42 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to advocate for this and the other members have an additional 48 hours to respond.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:40:25 AM »

This was a process that we had prior to the reset when we had Active GMs. I recall getting classified intelligence briefings as Senate President Pro-Tempore from I believe SoEA Sjoyce. I recall that  this was attempted previously unsuccessfully since the reset though in my state of extreme sleep deprivation I might be misremembering about that. Tongue. Anyway I think this moves further along the road to a more well developed foreign policy simulator and perhaps even into the realm of covert ops simulation that I proposed a year ago in my Presidential campaign. I think a more well developed Foreign Policy aspect will be more engaging, dramatic and consequential for the game players thus encouraging greater activity and interest.

At the same time I think a greater focus on foreign policy at the Federal level will create the breathing space for the Regions to flex their muscles on education and healthcare and similar issues without the centralized state seeking to usurp their problems, which a was root cause of the decline pre-reset.

Time and time again we opted for a more narrow, less engaging simulation be it in 2009 with th e arguments over number versus story generation and outright broken foreign policy simulation with the integration of the SoEA (SoS) into the Game Moderation team. This meant that a lot of the energy and effort was directed at domestic policy areas, squeezing the regions out of responsibilities and when combined with the large centralist movement decrying every move that left any responsibility with the regions as "irresponsible" in light of activity issues, created a self-fulfilling prophesy of decline. 

I will also note for those who are of a mind to oppose military-defense apparatus and foreign intervention, I would note that the presence of such a system renders a spirited debate over foreign policy actions much more likely, giving new depth and meaning such positions. But to get that point, it is first necessary to setup the required game mechanics to facilitate that.

Rather than repeat the mistakes of 2009 and 2011/2012 we should proceed with alternative choices that lead to a better, more integrated foreign policy. It is for this reason that I support the bill here before us and urge the House and Senate to pass it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:40:48 AM »

Now that is how you should advocate for a bill and I would note this is not even my bill. Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

Right, I have some questions for the sponsor and/or author:

(1) Why ought the GM be the officer responsible for designating intelligence as classified, as opposed to the Secretary of State or the President?
(2) Would other officers be barred from designating orders of correspondence as classified under this bill?
(3) Would this bar the officers of the Game Engine from leaking classified intelligence to the press, as has occurred in the past?
(4) Are members of the NSC and other like organs considered part of the Cabinet?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »

I'm intrigued by how this could make foreign policy more interesting. However, I would like to hear the answers to Truman's questions first.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »

(1) Why ought the GM be the officer responsible for designating intelligence as classified, as opposed to the Secretary of State or the President?
(2) Would other officers be barred from designating orders of correspondence as classified under this bill?
(3) Would this bar the officers of the Game Engine from leaking classified intelligence to the press, as has occurred in the past?
(4) Are members of the NSC and other like organs considered part of the Cabinet?

I think the theory here is one of generation as opposed to labeling. IE the GM creates a matter or a cover operation or some sort that is in fact top secret and therefore while this would normally be labeled as so by the Executive Branch, the GM is doing it here in the bill for the purposes of creation ability.

Depending on how you read the statute, they wouldn't be necessarily barred from labeling it, but it may or may not have same legal penalties.

I am not sure

It would not appear to be the case.

I think will probably need amending in some areas, though I would prefer to get AZ to answer as well before we proceed with that process.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »

I would like to thank you for the question. Just as a disclaimer much of this information in this bill is from a previous statute and has only been lightly modified. I am open to amendments if house reps or Senators feel any would be appropriate. 

1. The GM is the one that ultimately creates intelligence reports and much like in real life other entities like the CIA may choose which information the President should here. I would certainly be open to sharing others certain intelligence on the Presidents request, if it was appropriate they receive that information.   

2. No not at all, this bill just gives the GM that power and wouldn't directly restrict others from doing the same. I would certainly support an amendment clarifying that others may have that power in this bill though.

3. No the GM has the power to declassify information to anyone that he feels is appropriate to receive such information.   

4. No, but information that is relevant to the NSC could be sent to the NSC on request of the President. This is certainly a  request I would be open to fulfilling. 
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »

I am in support of this measure, and would wish to vote for it when the time to vote comes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »

I would like to thank you for the question. Just as a disclaimer much of this information in this bill is from a previous statute and has only been lightly modified. I am open to amendments if house reps or Senators feel any would be appropriate. 

1. The GM is the one that ultimately creates intelligence reports and much like in real life other entities like the CIA may choose which information the President should here. I would certainly be open to sharing others certain intelligence on the Presidents request, if it was appropriate they receive that information.   

2. No not at all, this bill just gives the GM that power and wouldn't directly restrict others from doing the same. I would certainly support an amendment clarifying that others may have that power in this bill though.

3. No the GM has the power to declassify information to anyone that he feels is appropriate to receive such information.   

4. No, but information that is relevant to the NSC could be sent to the NSC on request of the President. This is certainly a  request I would be open to fulfilling. 

Could the previous bill be linked by chance?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »

My thanks to the Game Moderator for his reply. I am in agreement with the sponsor as to the need for a clarifying amendment including the NSC in those privy to classified information. I also think it wise to set in place a system for archiving classified documents, so that information is not lost when a president or cabinet secretary leaves office. When Ted was confirmed as my successor in the State Department, I made a point of forwarding to him all my correspondence with the GM; it would be great if we could find a way to catalogue these documents for posterity*.

On a similar note, I think there needs to be something in the final bill regarding when documents become declassified, as is the case IRL.

*One possible strategy would be to create a wiki article with a numeric title known only to those with proper security clearance, so that it could not otherwise be found.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »

My thanks to the Game Moderator for his reply. I am in agreement with the sponsor as to the need for a clarifying amendment including the NSC in those privy to classified information. I also think it wise to set in place a system for archiving classified documents, so that information is not lost when a president or cabinet secretary leaves office. When Ted was confirmed as my successor in the State Department, I made a point of forwarding to him all my correspondence with the GM; it would be great if we could find a way to catalogue these documents for posterity*.

On a similar note, I think there needs to be something in the final bill regarding when documents become declassified, as is the case IRL.

*One possible strategy would be to create a wiki article with a numeric title known only to those with proper security clearance, so that it could not otherwise be found.

When DFW was elected. I added him to the NSC and made a point of handing over owner of the #NSC channel after inauguration to him and compared it to the Nuclear Football.

Continuity in office has always been a struggle though.

We debated this issue in the Government Oversight and Reform Committee in 2012-2013, but nothing ever came of it and any mandate to x regarding forwarding documents, or leave a post "summarizing actions and events" like we discussed could easily just be ignored.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »

Could the previous bill be linked by chance?
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Top_Secret_Classification_Act
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »

I think this bill is an excellent idea to make the game more interesting and better to play.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »

I think this bill is an excellent idea to make the game more interesting and better to play.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »

Oh damn, yea I introduced that for GM Purple State.

Wow!

Seven Years and 9 months ago.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:47:38 AM »

I have objections to either Badger or Tmth's amendments.

Why not? Atleast it will give the Senate something to do. Tongue

I apologize. I meant I have no objections. Sorry for the mixup.

Damn.

Anyways, as I said when the bill was last introduced I'm not a huge fan of it. Yes its game play, but I don't like 'secret squirrel' stuff; makes it look as if this game is taken more seriously than it should be Smiley I'm not in the mood to object to the bill during the drafting process however.

Warning: GM related Rant coming
I feel sorry for Purple State. You know you guys really make the GM's job a living hell. Tongue He can't have any fun. Sometimes you need that to spice the game up. Revolutions in New Mexico, bad.  Top Secret information, bad. Lots of boring statistics and foriegn affairs, sure no problem. Thats why, I never want to be GM and very few others do either.

Haha, you should see some of the proposals I filter out and don't accept. Tongue

Anyway, I have no problem with Badger's proposed amendments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:19 AM »

And back then foreign affairs was boring too. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 02:50:11 AM »

Speaking of amendments, are we going to get some sometime before another 7 years and 9 months go by? Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

Sure, why not? I offer the following amendment:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:09 AM »

Once again, if the GM approves I will accept this as friendly.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 06:20:41 AM »

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »

That looks fine.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2017, 09:56:28 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »

Seems good to me
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies