Is it possible to be a Christian, Jew, or Muslim and be pro-choice? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:19:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is it possible to be a Christian, Jew, or Muslim and be pro-choice? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it possible to be a Christian, Jew, or Muslim and be pro-choice?  (Read 2827 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:49 AM »

Of course. It's not possible to be a Catholic or some Protestant denominations and such though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »

Of course. It's not possible to be a Catholic or some Protestant denominations and such though.

This statement is in direct opposition to ones you've made about pro-choice Catholics in the past. Why the flip-flop?

Did I? Where?

I just can't comprehend how someone can be both a serious Catholic and pro-choice. That's like being someone in Scotland who's an SNP activist and campaigner who then in 2014 campaigned for the anti-independence side of the referendum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »

This statement is in direct opposition to ones you've made about pro-choice Catholics in the past. Why the flip-flop?

Did I? Where?

I just can't comprehend how someone can be both a serious Catholic and pro-choice. That's like being someone in Scotland who's an SNP activist and campaigner who then in 2014 campaigned for the anti-independence side of the referendum.

I can't quote it because it's on the 2012 board,  but here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=161488.msg3462615#msg3462615

Your 2012 position is much more sensible. Do you really think Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, Tim Kaine, Patty Murray, Kirsten Gillibrand, Catherine Cortes Mastro, Raul Grijalva, the Castro brothers, Ed Markey, Dennis Kucinich, Martin O'Malley, etc., etc., etc., are all a bunch of frauds?

Not to mention that the Catholic position on abortion is the same as most other Christian denominations, so people like Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Sheldon Whitehouse, Hillary Clinton, etc., would have to be frauds too.

It's really not the same. Other Christian denominations may not approve of abortion but you can't say that all mainline Protestant denominations take the same hardline position as the Catholic church and the most conservative evangelicals do. I've said before that I've figured that my church is obviously not too fond of abortion but makes the most focus on forgiving and accepting the woman. I've also never heard of anyone talk about trying to deny communion to a Protestant Democrat over this.

Anyway I forgot I ever made that post but there's certainly a good case to it, it's not like it's an issue I think about or concern myself with much. Really that's kind of why though I couldn't be Catholic, this just requires way too much of a disconnect and cognitive dissonance for me to accept. So "frauds"? Maybe not, but taking a position that I just can't comprehend doing myself. Remember it's not like I don't have any "cultural" connections to Catholicism, as about 1/4 my extended family is Catholic, but the cognitive dissonance it'd take to reconcile my politics and it is something I just couldn't do even if that was 100% of my extended family. So just put it beyond my understanding.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies