Biden's "anti-populist" triangulation NEW:Biden talks working w/ segregationists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's "anti-populist" triangulation NEW:Biden talks working w/ segregationists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Biden's "anti-populist" triangulation NEW:Biden talks working w/ segregationists  (Read 5005 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »

I'm glad that the Democratic Party is finally tackling the biggest issue of Clinton's campaign, not being tone deaf enough.

Honestly, that Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial basically summarizes the Democratic Party. It uses privileged, wealthy White celebrities and token minorities to coopt legitimate social movements that it doesn't even care to understand, then repackages them in a tone deaf manner to promote corporate interests.

TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »

I'm glad that the Democratic Party is finally tackling the biggest issue of Clinton's campaign, not being tone deaf enough.

Honestly, that Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial basically summarizes the Democratic Party. It uses privileged, wealthy White celebrities and token minorities to coopt legitimate social movements that it doesn't even care to understand, then repackages them in a tone deaf manner to promote corporate interests.

What about the pre-DLC Democratic party?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

Biden's politics have always been terrible middle of the road DLC stuff.

I never bought the idea that he would light a fire under Working Class Whites just because he's a White dude.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 04:58:48 PM »

Oh my god eat s**t.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »

Are people more upset about the first part of that, or the second part?

BTW before I get flamed I don't condone that comment. I think the swipe at Bernie is unnecessarily antagonistic and I don't see the point in trying to compare the patriotism of two different groups -- it also seems a little antagonistic, and it's very hard to make a statement like that without appearing to denigrate one side. Overall a tacky and unnecessary thing to say. But I am curious to hear the thoughts of the really upset people.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »

Sanders uses similar rhetoric as Trump, except Trump uses minorities and Sanders uses the wealthy.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »

For me, it's the second part. Biden was being intentionally antagonistic and intentionally misrepresenting what Sanders and, by extension, millions of Americans, believes.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »

Sanders uses similar rhetoric as Trump, except Trump uses minorities and Sanders uses the wealthy.

Ah, yes, Sanders and Trump are basically the same. Because calling attention to the extreme inequality in America, how that affects government, distribution of power, and the lives of ordinary Americans of all backgrounds is hardly different from using ignorance and bigotry to scapegoat already disadvantaged people for qualities with which they were born. Damn, I just can't tell those apart...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »

Ah, yes, Sanders and Trump are basically the same. Because calling attention to the extreme inequality in America, how that affects government, distribution of power, and the lives of ordinary Americans of all backgrounds is hardly different from using ignorance and bigotry to scapegoat already disadvantaged people for qualities with which they were born. Damn, I just can't tell those apart...

Everyone knows those things, so Sanders isn't saying anything that hasn't been discussed. His campaign was built mostly around anger and he never had a real plan on how to fix things other than vague buzzwords.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »

Why are people making a big deal out of his opposition to UBI? There is no credible proposal in Congress for it or any progressive groups, not even Sanders/Warren has a bill.

Something something corporate Democrats something something
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »

Biden isn't going to look so good when the bankruptcy bill and Anita Hill come up.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »

Both. The comment is dismissive and misrepresenting not just Bernie but the roughly 45-50% of the party that voted for him. I have a lot of reasons to absolutely despise the ultra-rich, and none of them are because they aren't "patriotic enough"

He comes off as an out-of-touch idiot. Much like DrScholl in all of his posts.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »

Both. The comment is dismissive and misrepresenting not just Bernie but the roughly 45-50% of the party that voted for him. I have a lot of reasons to absolutely despise the ultra-rich, and none of them are because they aren't "patriotic enough"

He comes off as an out-of-touch idiot. Much like DrScholl in all of his posts.

It is also irrelevant & the Bernie comment was totally unnecessary while talking about the Alabama Senate race. Ofcourse it is misrepresenting & it does nothing for the Dem Primary Electorate in 2020 & he will find no sympathy. Does he want to position himself as the candidate of the rich or does he want money from donors for his campaign?

Either way this is the problem with Joe. Not just his terrible record on the Death Penalty, Iraq War, TPP, Patriot Act & so on, but his lack of discipline. The guy does creepy things & speaks stupid stuff all the time. His heart may actually be in the right place but none-the-less it is stupid.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »

Ugggggggggh

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »

^^^
It's the return of Joe "My state was a slave state" Biden.  Tongue
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 01:23:25 PM by Jacobin American »

Ah, yes, the good 'ol days when only White men could gather around and debate issues pertaining to the rights of other people then have lunch and laugh.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »

People finally found out Biden isn't a DSA populist? His senate record was quite a lot to the right of Hillary's actually. But muh Wall Street speeches.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 06:46:53 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

While I like to think the Dems can be more than that, it's a nicely accurate summation of how the Democratic Party tends to roll. I don't think that Democratic Party has much longer to go, though. Bipartisanship, faux populism, and kow-towing to the disliked establishment are a recipe for a huge Dem civil war.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »

Biden is really obviously making plays to solidify the support of the pragmatic wing of the Democratic party. He's also doing it in a typical Joe Biden way by talking without a lot of discretion. Honestly, he is courting to speak to Democrats like me, although he could be doing a better job. If he were 20 years younger I'd be very curious to see how it turned out for him, but I think for various reasons relating to his age he probably isn't going to garner a ton of support by 2020 anyway.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 11:39:56 PM by Shadows »

Unfortunately there are not many radical centrist Democrat as the Democratic base is overwhelmingly progressive. Biden would ,like Hilary, need a landslide win among the progressive black community & even then it may not be enough.

BTW latest results of Pew Research -

(Of Dem/Lean Dem voters - 93% say Income inequality is a very big/moderately big problem - 91% of all Blacks & 84% of Hispanics vs 80% of Whites. 73% of Dems think Corporations make too much profit, 57% of Dems want taxes on 250K+ Income people raised, 69% want taxes on Big corporations to be raised).

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »

Biden did have a point that Washington used to work well and people could be civil to each other and compromise even when they disagreed.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

Biden did have a point that Washington used to work well and people could be civil to each other and compromise even when they disagreed.

He does have a point here. With that said, I still don't want Biden to run.
Harlow

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »

People finally found out Biden isn't a DSA populist? His senate record was quite a lot to the right of Hillary's actually. But muh Wall Street speeches.

I don't know of anyone on the left who legitimately believed he was sufficiently left-wing.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »

He does have a point here. With that said, I still don't want Biden to run.

I think if he runs his poll numbers will fall down to Earth like Clinton's, he has too much baggage and doesn't fit the mood of the public to win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies