Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 18906 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:39 PM »
« edited: September 25, 2017, 09:50:11 PM by Tintrlvr »

This may have been asked before but as a non-American can someone tell me why you would play the national anthem at a club game?Does this happen a lower levels of sport? Schools?

It would only be played in New Zealand at an international match ...that is one between countries.

Pretty much any formal competitive sports game, including high school. Probably not non-league sports, which aren't going to have notable numbers of spectators. Relic of Cold War 1950s hyperpatriotism, like most of this type of utter nonsense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »

To be clear, I appreciate Fuzzy Bear's willingness to change his opinion. I think he's a quality poster overall, even though we strongly disagree on a lot of issues. I am just still mystified at how anyone can talk about nationalism and the flag while excusing Trump's invitation to the Russians to hack us last year. I realize that's a different topic and some liberals don't even care about it but it's just mind-boggling.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »

I'm literally at a loss for words when I see the same people that have been defending Donald Trump's actions for the last two years having the audacity to try to lecture anyone about the importance of the proper respect and decorum owed to symbols of the United States.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »

To be clear, I appreciate Fuzzy Bear's willingness to change his opinion. I think he's a quality poster overall, even though we strongly disagree on a lot of issues. I am just still mystified at how anyone can talk about nationalism and the flag while excusing Trump's invitation to the Russians to hack us last year. I realize that's a different topic and some liberals don't even care about it but it's just mind-boggling.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but thought I shouldn't go there, since it is off-topic.
FB says "Trump is far more loyal to America than the kneelers," but as Beet is pointing to, trump totally denies that the Russians hacked/intervened-in our elections.
To trump it is all "fake news" and just "a witch hunt." But yet all our national intelligence agencies are saying that it happened !

Russia's actions should be 1000 times more of a concern (compared to knelling to our flag) to every citizen in our nation. Yet trumpists give the Orange-Haired Clown a pass, and go on to call him "more loyal to America."
WTF.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »

Wait--- so the Cowboys kneel BEFORE THE ANTHEM and are still booed. This isn't about the "veterans". It is about white people being uncomfortable with being confronted about white supremacy.

This may have been asked before but as a non-American can someone tell me why you would play the national anthem at a club game?Does this happen a lower levels of sport? Schools?

It would only be played in New Zealand at an international match ...that is one between countries.
The Department of Defense also pays the NFL to play it in order to promote signing up for the Armed Services. It is a recruitment tactic for the United States military. Nothing more.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »

97-Year-Old WWII Veteran Takes a Knee to Show Support of Anthem Protests

1 minute YouTube Video : https://youtu.be/DWp6oVpW6zQ
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »

CNN's Don Lemon slams Donald Trump for attacking NFL players for kneeling during the National Anthem.

Video : http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/09/26/don-lemon-patroitism-nfl-trump-sot-ctn.cnn
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »

Wait--- so the Cowboys kneel BEFORE THE ANTHEM and are still booed. This isn't about the "veterans". It is about white people being uncomfortable with being confronted about white supremacy.

Basically, yeah...

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2017, 12:22:13 AM »

How the NFL sold patriotism to the U.S. military for millions

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NFL Owners and Executives Who Protested Donald Trump Are the Biggest Hypocrites Yet

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »

Wow, I've only just seen Obama's 2016 take on the issue. If you thought Trump's take was great, Obama's take was downright inspiring!! What a guy!! #AlwaysMyPresident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPqOotT_ta8

They ought to be co-Presidents!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »

Basically, yeah...

Resounding majorities thinking protests hurt Civil Rights causes when that was the only way to get attention from the mainstream. I doubt many of those white respondents were doing anything to disturb their privilege to attain equal rights for African-Americans either. They are just downright shameful.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »

Fighting the NFL is a losing issue if I've ever seen any.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »

I'm sure all the people who lost homes in Houston, Florida, and Puerto Rico really give a s*** about this debate.

This is the only good take on all this
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »

Every morning our nation's dumbest person wakes up, reaches for his phone, opens up Twitter, and determines what the rest of the country will talk about for the rest of the week.

See signature.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »

Let's not forget that the only reason Trump and his supporters say "son of a bitch" and "thug" is because they can't get away with saying "uppity ns."
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »

Liberals seem to think the divisions are white people who are also not kneeling. In other words, in mainstream white America, there is no reason to kneel. Which...is...kinda true. So then those protesting end up looking like tools.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2017, 03:52:42 PM »

Liberals seem to think the divisions are white people who are also not kneeling. In other words, in mainstream white America, there is no reason to kneel. Which...is...kinda true. So then those protesting end up looking like tools.

Stay in school.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »

Let's not forget that the only reason Trump and his supporters say "son of a bitch" and "thug" is because they can't get away with saying "uppity n-rs."

What a joke lol
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »

Let's not forget that the only reason Trump and his supporters say "son of a bitch" and "thug" is because they can't get away with saying "uppity n-rs."

What a joke lol

Our president is a joke.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »

It's neat how this is a reverse of the usual "But that's why Trump won" argument.

"If you wern't being such thin-skinned snowflakes, we would never have kneeled during the anthem!"

Also:

Arab Muslims were responsible for 9/11.  And many Arab Muslims in America, at a minimum, have a degree of sympathy for Islamic Jihadists.

WTF? What you said was basically what many Americans believed about Japanese-Americans before the government forced them into internment camps.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/articles/opinion-polls.aspx

26% of younger American Muslims believe suicide bombings are justified.  (Pew Research)

19% of American Muslims believe violence is justified in attempts to establish Sharia Law.  (Pew  Research)

20% of American Muslims believe violence is justified to advance the cause of Islam.  (Pew Research)

33% of American Muslims believe Sharia Law should be superior to the Constitution.  (CSP Poll)

49% of Muslim-Americans say they are "Muslim first", 26% American first.  (Pew Research)

21% of Muslim-Americans say there is a fair to great amount of support for Islamic extremism in their community.  (Pew Research)

This is from polls conducted by public research firms, not information from conversations with Trump Rally attendees.  

Fuzzy Bear:
1. Should Biblical law be superior to the Constitution?
2. Would you describe yourself as Christian first or American first?

I suspect a similar or higher percentage of Christians would have similar answers.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

The underlined part is true if you go with that point of view.  Let's stand for freedom as we blackball Kaepernick.  There are good reasons for a team not wanting Kaepernick as their QB at this point, but the fact that he isn't even in the league is certainly the appearance of impropriety.  I do understand, however, the desire of a team to not have a QB generate the kind of media buzz Kaepernick will now generate when he's not a star-quality player anymore.  (And he's not; he lost it a few years ago and now he's really no better than a whole bunch of guys fighting for field time.)

I do wonder if some of this is Trump wanting to get back at the NFL.  I remembered yesterday that in the 1980s, Trump was the owner of the USFL New Jersey Generals, the USFL's flagship franchise.  Trump led the USFL owners to decide to sue the NFL for anti-trust violations, and get the USFL to be a fall league, and not a spring league.  And Trump won his lawsuit - with treble damages.  Unfortunately, the award for winning was $1.00, so treble damages made it $3.00 for the USFL, which went under.  I suspect Trump derives some pleasure from the general chaos the NFL is experiencing right now.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »

People claim this Asian-American doctor is too "privileged" to take a knee, send him death threats

The numbskullness of some people...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »

This whole thing ignores that fact that before 09 the players didn't come out of the anthem at all. The DoD paid the NFL millions for staged displays of patriotism to try and boost recruitment, so it has all been about politics from the get go.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »

I wish these football players found another form of protest -it is way too easy for someone with a working brain (i.e. not Trump) to conjure up this image to mock and diminish them:

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Do you actually know any progressives in real life? I mean actual Progressive outside what Fox News and talk radio and internet dweebs Proclaim liberal supposedly think? You talk more about the Viewpoint of liberals than any ten liberals I know oh, and you are inevitably wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong about what American liberals, and I emphasize American, actually believe in.

Seriously naso, I don't like these tools you rail against either. The only problem is that they are complete straw man Construction in your mind. There isn't one American Progressive in 10 that actually hates liberals. But you have to construct that in your mind, don't you? Otherwise how would you be able to justify you're being a complete tool In your views?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies