Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:33:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 18858 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yup.

No matter where you stand on the anthem issue, there is no denying that Trump botched this. He has now flipped the argument from the issue about police brutality/respect for the flag into an issue about Trump.

You are now seeing guys like Rodgers and Brady throw support to the guys protesting.

This whole ordeal is why it is laughable to think there some strategy behind anything Trump does. He just saw the NFL/flag issue on fox news and starting ranting like your drunken uncle at thanksgiving. No long-term thinking at all.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »

One thing everyone's forgetting in all of this is that Trump has had a grudge against the NFL for decades, back to the USFL debacle and how they wouldn't let his New Jersey Generals be an expansion team into the NFL.

In his mind, he's getting the last laugh if he tanks the NFL ratings.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »

Also if Trump supporters want to support their leader and boycott the NFL and NBA for life that'd be awesome. My average Seahawks game experience would improve tenfold without some drunken chud screaming racial slurs at the opposing team.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »

The facts is sports and politics should not be mixed  One reason why sports is so great is it is not politicized .
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »

Somehow I feel like the free speech brigade will have a lot less to say about this
I haven't seen the right attack Caepernick's right to do what he did, but rather defend the NFL's right to effectively blacklist him. Free speech has consequences that can't be regulated. No one forced Collin Caepernick to make himself toxic.

You really don't understand how literally mccarthyist that is? I mean, as in a literal definition?
So, the League shouldn't look out for their own interests and then piss on their fans? Sounds like a good business model to me!

Yes, anyone who's considered a communist supported by hard right Wingers should likewise be drummed out of Hollywood end the, journalism, it cetera. Amarite?

Kind of ironic giving it not ours after you posted this your furor tweeted about how NFL's business suffer because they didn't pay him enough respect. This has nothing to do with business bottles or the bottom line, Sanchez. It's 100% about me and baby once again rallying his Stormtroopers to take it out on anyone who doesn't show sufficient kowtow respect.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

Trump is more upset about this topic then a skinheadcramming his car into peaceful protestors and killing someone. Let that sink in

Sums it up

I don't believe this is the case, but Trump has not prevented this from appearing to be the case to some.  He really doesn't need to talk about this issue at rallies, and I've got to admit that I'm amazed that he can't see how tone deaf he is on these issues.

Kaepernick is an idiot; he's been hoodwinked by his anti-American girlfriend into becoming an SJW on steroids.  He doesn't have a job for one reason; he's not good enough to be the guy who's the focus of media attention on his team.  And that's something he did to himself. 

I don't much care one way or the other what Kaepernick, or any other jock, does for the Anthem, but I know the owners care and I know the fans care.  I'm not a big fan of the idea of creating opportunities for people to stand for anthems, say the Pledge of Allegiance just so someone hosting an event can appear patriotic, but the National Anthem is a long-held feature of sporting events in America.  Most fans are fine with it, and most fans are not fine with folks taking a knee, especially when it's mixed with the "America is racist!" rhetoric that is grossly unfair to the vast majority of Americans. 

The biggest fault I find with what Kaepernick is doing is that if I'm not going to just write him off as flat-out anti-American and take him seriously, I can't avoid the fact that his gesture is taking his anger out on the wrong folks.  If his beef is with police and law enforcement, than why is he kneeling for a gesture that, in no small measure, is a gesture of honor for our military?  The military is the most thoroughly integrated institution in America, and the vast majority of football fans are either veterans or folks with vets as a family member; could he not see what a slap his actions are to those folks?  Kaepernick sympathizes with folks who don't want to have to look at the disrespectful Confederate monuments, and he has a point, but folks who come to football stadiums or pay for cable TV have to watch his offensive gesture in a situation where folks want a respite for all that.

And, yes, owners have every right to fire someone for kneeling if it's in their contracts.  And, yes, owners have the right to expect players to adhere to standards of conduct.  Going on a talk show and discussing police brutality on your time is one thing; creating a situation that makes uncomfortable paying customers is another.  That's not "free speech"; that's offensive conduct.  Kaepernick isn't out of a job for the views he holds; he's out of a job for diminishing his employers' product while lacking the judgment to recognize that this was what he was doing.

I largely agree, FB. Fwiw
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »

These gross sleepwalking types care only about two things...count em...just two:

Freeways
Televised Sports

Notice how unhinged they are at freeway protests and sports players kneeling?  They have turned the players into idolized meatbags.  That they have minds of their own is a nasty wake up call to these people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »

I think this is the best compromise

If you don't want to stand for the national anthem ,that's ok but you have to stay in the locker room during the anthem .

MODERATE COMPROMISE!!

"By all means you should feel free to protest, but make sure you are hidden away so no one can see you..."

That's the whole point , as the on field protest  is causing major problems for the NFL and they need to move on from this issue asap .

Outside of angry internet commenters, not really.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20171611/national-anthem-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/petition-calls-nfl-boycott-if-kaepernick-doesn-t-play-n790866

Does an employee of a private concern have the right, on the job, to act in a manner where their on-the-job conduct will be viewed as offensive by most customers?  

Kaepernick's gesture is a statement to everyone watching that "America is Racist".  This is rightfully offensive to millions of Americans, most of whom are not racist, and most of whom believe that America is not only a GREAT nation, but a GOOD nation as well.

America is not a PERFECT nation, but it is a more INTROSPECTIVE nation than any other I can think of.  I don't see Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mexico, El Salvador, Cuba, China, Russia, et al, as being places where national leaders ponder seriously how they treat their own.  America DOES do that.  

The problems Mr. Kaepernick professes to be an expert on are problems in America; in other places, they are a way of life.  They are problems, to be sure, but the rates of crime among blacks, relative to the rest of the population is a problem as well.  And the Kaepernicks of the world never acknowledge the false narratives; the "Hands up!  Don't shoot!" falsehood of Ferguson, MO, which began with witnesses willingly lying, is never mentioned by Kaepernick.  The fact that Michael Brown had just committed a strong-arm robbery is never mentioned by Kaepernick.  The fact that Michael Brown failed to comply with the LAWFUL instructions of a police officcer is never mentioned by Kaepernick.  The aspect of Mr. Kaepernick that offends me is not his positions or his kneeling; it's his crass intellectual dishonesty on such a divisive issue.

Indeed, introspection is perhaps the greatest American strength in politics. Or at least it used to be.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »

The facts is sports and politics should not be mixed  One reason why sports is so great is it is not politicized .

Why don't you explain that to your New Fuhrer.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »

Well African Americans don't have that much in terms of political power so entertainment outlet is our best outlet. On the other end the right-wing especially in the USA has quickly weaponized African American issues for political reasons for years. There are reason why other western democracies don't have this problem because it damages a country look at South Africa for example. Our mainstream right continues to abuse differences of people for political gain and it predated Trump.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »

Why don't you explain that to your New Fuhrer.

I never supported Trump, I'm a Never Trump Republican .

Also I do totally disagree with Trump's actions here, for the very reason of I dont want politics and sports mixed.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

Alleged rapist, thank you. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »

Whoa! Chips are down for Grumps to pick a side here. Wink
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »

This is actually a smart play by Trump to the largest demographic in the Republican party: Sh**ty old men who get mad at what they see on TV all day.

I think you just defined our Atlas member, Grumps.
Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »

This is actually a smart play by Trump to the largest demographic in the Republican party: Sh**ty old men who get mad at what they see on TV all day.

I think you just defined our Atlas member, Grumps.
Wink

Now now. Grumps gets mad at things on the internet as well. Grin
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2017, 12:44:02 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

I'm watching the Falcons-Lions game, and the anthem singer took a knee after finishing it.  (He did a nice job singing it, too.)
Wakie77
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

Can we all call this what it is?  False outrage.  Trump is blowing this up right before the latest attempt at health care repeal is blowing up.  So he will make a stink with the NFL to distract the press coverage.

Why aren't people outraged when some drunken fans yells out during the anthem?  Why are concessions stands and ticket takers allowed to continue working during the anthem?  Why aren't we upset about the fans walking around the concourse during the anthem?

This is total nonsense and false outrage.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »

Can we all call this what it is?  False outrage.  Trump is blowing this up right before the latest attempt at health care repeal is blowing up.  So he will make a stink with the NFL to distract the press coverage.

Why aren't people outraged when some drunken fans yells out during the anthem?  Why are concessions stands and ticket takers allowed to continue working during the anthem?  Why aren't we upset about the fans walking around the concourse during the anthem?

This is total nonsense and false outrage.

In fairness, most fans do thank the drunk shouting fan is an a******. The difference is they hold their players to him far far higher standard, and rightfully so, then some random drunken dip s*** in the stands
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

Enforced patriotism is really weird, so kudos to anyone who shows some 'disrespect' to convention.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When you lose Rex Ryan, you lose America.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »

One reason why sports is so great is it is not politicized .
This is inherently false.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

The Chicago Bears, a classy organization, stood shoulder to shoulder today for the anthem.  The Pittsburgh Steelers should be forced to forfeit the game for their actions.  Fortunately, karma is in Soldier Field today, and its not in the Steeler's favor.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

Arab Muslims were responsible for 9/11.  And many Arab Muslims in America, at a minimum, have a degree of sympathy for Islamic Jihadists.  Given the hostility these nations have toward Israel, why should it be shocking that American citizens have the attitudes some of them have toward Arab Muslims?  Should it be considered unreasonable that American citizens may have doubts as to whether or not Arab Muslims have the same loyalty to America, right or wrong, that they have?

I'll agree that there's false outrage.  But why shouldn't I question the loyalty to America someone who refuses to stand for the Anthem out of loyalty to their country of origin and a grudge against American citizens who support, say, Trump's immigration ban?  Is America YOUR country?  Or is it just where you live?  

That's a real important question because we are NOT a nation bound by "blood and soil" as most nations of the world are.  If we are a nation where significant blocs of its CITIZENS have divided loyalties, let alone a primary loyalty to another nation, ethnic group, religious sect, etc, than what becomes of our experiment in self-government?  How can America function as a nation when one group or another are preoccupied with its ethnic and racial grievances (however justified) to the point where their loyalty to America is conditional?  What one has a right to do or not do is an entirely different question than the question of what attitudes on the part of American citizens are necessary in order for our continuing experiment in self-government and individual liberty to be successful.  When I was young, I thought this unimportant; even authoritarian, but as history has unfolded, I recognize that for America to work, its citizens have to be committed to its success, even over the perceived interest of their own groups of which they consider themselves members of.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies