Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 18903 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

America is not Anti Muslim or Anti Arab

You mean aside from the atmosphere of Islamophobia and racism directed towards Arabs and those who appear to be Arab to ignorant people, the government's history of racial profiling of Arabs and Muslims, the spying on Muslim communities following 9/11, the government's recent ban on people from several predominantly Muslim countries (while ignoring that the perpetrators of 9/11 were majority Saudi (excluded from the ban list) and most American terrorist attacks were conducted by people born in Western countries), and the hysterical right-wing conspiracies that are believed by a significant number of Americans (such as around half of Republican voters believing Obama is a Muslim)?

The fact is if you are an refugee or immigrant from the middle east you should not call America anti muslim as it was America who gave you a better life.

So, no matter how you're treated in this country, you should shut up and accept it? It's understandable to see why Muslims may feel this way. We've been bombing and invading majority Muslim countries for nearly two decades now, engaged in imperialistic actions there for decades, many leaders (such as the President) espouse Islamophobia, they've been systematically targeted by the legal system and law enforcement, refugees and other citizens from Muslim majority countries have been scapegoated and banned from the country, and are often subjected to bigotry, discrimination, and domestic terrorism (bombing of mosques). The American government is anti-Muslim, despite the fact that it allows Muslims residence and (for most) ability to immigrate here. America's attitude and policies towards Muslims (domestically and internationally) need to be radically changed.

What about the British national anthem that the players stood for? Are the British not imperialists? "The sun never sets on the British Empire!"
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2017, 04:44:38 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims.

Christians in the Islamic world face far more discrimination and violence than Muslims anywhere in the West.

And your point is? Are we supposed to judge our country by the way people in other countries behave and are treated?

My point is that Muslims are hypocrites for complaining about ''Islamophobia'' in the West. It doesn't even come close to how non-Muslims are treated in most countries where Muslims make up a majority. If they think the West is so ''oppressive'', they should move to the part of the world where they are the ones in charge.

So, a Muslim such as TSA is a hypocrite because some Muslim that he never met, belongs to an ethnicity with which he has no relation, and lives thousands of miles away from him in a country he never visited engages in oppressive behaviors towards non-Muslim(s)? Is that what you're saying?

It's funny when right wing loons all like to place us all in a box and act like we all hold the same views.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »

The response you will see today is just further evidence of the point I brought up on Saturday: had Trump never said anything, none of this would have happened, the fringe of the NFL would have done their thing, and life would have gone on. BUT because Trump is a moron, he's actually incited many of the more 'moderate' players and convinced them that the fringe was actually correct all along.

Its the same crap we pulled in the Middle East. Bin Laden and Al Qaeda rant about how the US is controlling muslim countries, overthrowing regimes, etc....no one cares, then they attack us and we play right into their hands to radicalize thousands of more fighters.

This is all in the context that Trump doesn't want to do much to improve the underlying friction causing these protests in the first place. So again, the best thing for him to do would have been ignore and dismiss and hope it goes away by itself, but that proved to be far too difficult for him.

To me the issue has now shifted from a "should" to a "can" thing. I liked the larger number of player kneeling today and it bleeding over into baseball because it shows that this is America and the president doesn't get to tell people when they have to stand up.

Really, all of this shows how weak Trump is and how little respect he commands. First about a couple people on every team were doing, after he says not to, everyone starts doing it. The formal powers of the office remain the same, but Trump has less informal power than any president in recent memory. Yet another health care failure this week only compounds the issue.

The President didn't try to tell them what to do.. He said what he would do if he were an owner and his players did it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

You mean aside from the atmosphere of Islamophobia and racism directed towards Arabs and those who appear to be Arab to ignorant people, the government's history of racial profiling of Arabs and Muslims, the spying on Muslim communities following 9/11, the government's recent ban on people from several predominantly Muslim countries (while ignoring that the perpetrators of 9/11 were majority Saudi (excluded from the ban list) and most American terrorist attacks were conducted by people born in Western countries), and the hysterical right-wing conspiracies that are believed by a significant number of Americans (such as around half of Republican voters believing Obama is a Muslim)?

A certain amount of all of this is predictable, given the totality of circumstances of 9/11.  In what nation wouldn't all of this happen?  I'm not endorsing the Total Surveillance Society we now seem to live in, but folks rightfully demand that their government keep them safe, and this is how it's done these days.

I was a 2004 Kerry voter and a 2012 Obama voter.  That I support Trump on a number of issues doesn't mean I don't recognize where he's full of beans.  I certainly don't believe Obama is a Muslim, but he did grow up some of the time in a Muslim environment, and he has never hid his sympathy for Muslims.  When it came to concerns on the issue of Islamic Terror and safety, Obama could be as tone deaf on that matter as Trump is on Kaepernick and Company.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims.

Christians in the Islamic world face far more discrimination and violence than Muslims anywhere in the West.

And your point is? Are we supposed to judge our country by the way people in other countries behave and are treated?
I think those issues are relevant in considering who we are going to let into the United States.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

The fact is if you are an refugee or immigrant from the middle east you should not call America anti muslim as it was America who gave you a better life.

So, no matter how you're treated in this country, you should shut up and accept it? It's understandable to see why Muslims may feel this way. We've been bombing and invading majority Muslim countries for nearly two decades now, engaged in imperialistic actions there for decades, many leaders (such as the President) espouse Islamophobia, they've been systematically targeted by the legal system and law enforcement, refugees and other citizens from Muslim majority countries have been scapegoated and banned from the country, and are often subjected to bigotry, discrimination, and domestic terrorism (bombing of mosques). The American government is anti-Muslim, despite the fact that it allows Muslims residence and (for most) ability to immigrate here. America's attitude and policies towards Muslims (domestically and internationally) need to be radically changed.

What about the British national anthem that the players stood for? Are the British not imperialists? "The sun never sets on the British Empire!"

Practically every Western country has a tragic imperialist legacy from which they've benefited at the expense of those they exploited and oppressed. The consequences of Western imperialistic hubris is ongoing, with terrorism, the rise of the Islamic State, the Iranian Revolution, Saudi Arabia and its exporting of Wahhabism through madrasas they fund using Western money, and the artificial borders imposed upon peoples throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America, being direct consequences of those actions.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »

I dislike the UK so much I want to leave it, but one of your colonies is almost entirely without power after a hurricane. But that's 'their' problem right? And while the UK isn't a flag bearer for race relations, at least 70 years ago US black servicemen could get counter service.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Practically every Western country has a tragic imperialist legacy from which they've benefited at the expense of those they exploited and oppressed. The consequences of Western imperialistic hubris is ongoing, with terrorism, the rise of the Islamic State, the Iranian Revolution, Saudi Arabia and its exporting of Wahhabism through madrasas they fund using Western money, and the artificial borders imposed upon peoples throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America, being direct consequences of those actions.

So why would they not stand for the US National Anthem but will stand for the anthem of perhaps the most imperialist country in the world?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »

It's all documented evidence, Western governments toppled a democratic regime to implement the Shah which led to the IR, Saudi's oil money is funding radical mosques, plus the secular dictatorships which plagued the nations led to a religious revival.

Recently Tunisia has taken steps to become a progressive country, I do think our countries will eventually follow in that footstep, but Saudi Arabia must be stopped.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »

I dislike the UK so much I want to leave it, but one of your colonies is almost entirely without power after a hurricane. But that's 'their' problem right? And while the UK isn't a flag bearer for race relations, at least 70 years ago US black servicemen could get counter service.

Like you just said, they're our colony so we will take care of them..
What's keeping you there?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »

My point is that Muslims are hypocrites for complaining about ''Islamophobia'' in the West. It doesn't even come close to how non-Muslims are treated in most countries where Muslims make up a majority. If they think the West is so ''oppressive'', they should move to the part of the world where they are the ones in charge.

So, a Muslim such as TSA is a hypocrite because some Muslim that he never met, belongs to an ethnicity with which he has no relation, and lives thousands of miles away from him in a country he never visited engages in oppressive behaviors towards non-Muslim(s)? Is that what you're saying?

It's funny when right wing loons all like to place us all in a box and act like we all hold the same views.

They throw an absolute fit though when the tables are turned and White people (of which I am one) are put into a box with their individuality eliminated. Even simple things like "White people can't handle spicy food" is enough to upset a lot of them. Just imagine if they had to experience the regular, often systematic, dehumanization experienced by others...
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »

We seem to be doing such a GREAAT job helping Puerto Rico right now...
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »

Please enlighten us on the GREAAT job you would do.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

My question is this:  Is Colin Kaepernick's country "the great American Republic"?  Or is it some corrupt, detestable, racist, sexist, homophobic state, worthy only of contempt?  As an American, I'm always willing to have my country set right by those whose country is the great American Republic.  I'm not willing to accept correction from those who loathe the Republic, and Kaepernick has not convinced me he is not in that category.  Nor, unfortunately, have a few folks posting here.  It's the difference between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Colin Kaepernick.

I do not (nor does anyone else) need to prove my American patriotism to you. Many of these folks kneeling (and those of us supporting them) have said and shown time and again that they love this country. That you don't accept that is your own problem, not ours.

This country is great. But it also treats many of its citizens improperly, and that needs to be fixed.

(Edited grammar, oops.)

No, they don't.  But since folks have felt free to comment about my character and motivations, I'm free to do the same.  We certainly do this when we cast our votes, do we not?

I'm willing to listen to criticism from people who think I may have taken leave of my senses, but wish me well.  I'm less willing to accept it from people who wish me ill.  That's how I view folks who criticize the state of America as well.  Lots of traitors would like to "set America right".  And before any of you jump on me for this statement, many of you apply this same concept to Donald Trump, so . . .
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »

So why would they not stand for the US National Anthem but will stand for the anthem of perhaps the most imperialist country in the world?

You'd have to ask those people what their motivations are.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

You mean like when you say America is anti-Muslim?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

That's because the evidence is mounting that it is, I experience it much more often than I should
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2017, 05:02:15 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

A gay refugee literally lost fingers fleeing to Canada after Trump's election because will be killed if he returns to his home country.

Alas, these are the people Trump and his apologists wants to keep out of the US.  Ironic, considering that the worldview of many of his supporters is not too different from that of Islamists.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »

I will agree with #TheShadowyAbyss on the issue of our Middle Eastern involvement.  These wars are their wars, and not ours.  That was one of the reasons I supported Trump; he appeared to promise a shift away from Neocon-ism.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

That's because the evidence is mounting that it is, I experience it much more often than I should

But not the whole nation itself and all the people in it. Of course, there will always be a few, but not a vast majority.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »

But not the whole nation itself and all the people in it. Of course, there will always be a few, but not a vast majority.
And you can't escape racism moving to Canada will not stop ignorant people from judging people.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »

It's all documented evidence, Western governments toppled a democratic regime to implement the Shah which led to the IR, Saudi's oil money is funding radical mosques, plus the secular dictatorships which plagued the nations led to a religious revival.

Recently Tunisia has taken steps to become a progressive country, I do think our countries will eventually follow in that footstep, but Saudi Arabia must be stopped.

People don't realize that girls used to wear skirts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Egypt; burqas and niqabs were relatively rare outside of the countryside in most places; and that the Saudi government has been destroying sacred religious sites for decades while simultaneously bastardizing Islamic teachings. Muslims around the world, but especially in Europe, are frequent recipients of Saudi Wahhabi teachings thanks to their funding of madrasas and mosques with money they receive from Western countries in exchange for oil. The Iranians are among some of the most liberal Muslims in the world, yet live under a theocratic regime due to the Iranian Revolution that was triggered in reaction to the Western-imposed Shah (king) and his brutality, which US-UK imposed by deposing a secular Socialist democratically elected leader who wanted to nationalize Iranian oil reserves. The borders of countries like Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Sudan, etc... are artificial creations by Western imperial powers with little regard for the history or ethnicities of the people in those areas.

The Middle East and Africa can certainly develop and progress (as you noted, Tunisia is a good example of that), but there are many obstacles in their way (most (but not all) of which stem from current and past outside intervention).
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2017, 05:07:38 PM »

People don't realize that girls used to wear skirts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Egypt; burqas and niqabs were relatively rare outside of the countryside in most places; and that the Saudi government has been destroying sacred religious sites for decades while simultaneously bastardizing Islamic teachings. Muslims around the world, but especially in Europe, are frequent recipients of Saudi Wahhabi teachings thanks to their funding of madrasas and mosques with money they receive from Western countries in exchange for oil. The Iranians are among some of the most liberal Muslims in the world, yet live under a theocratic regime due to the Iranian Revolution that was triggered in reaction to the Western-imposed Shah (king) and his brutality, which US-UK imposed by deposing a secular Socialist democratically elected leader who wanted to nationalize Iranian oil reserves. The borders of countries like Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Sudan, etc... are artificial creations by Western imperial powers with little regard for the history or ethnicities of the people in those areas.

The Middle East and Africa can certainly develop and progress (as you noted, Tunisia is a good example of that), but there are many obstacles in their way (most (but not all) of which stem from current and past outside intervention).

Iran and Saudi Arabia have been brainwashing their citizens like North Korea does.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2017, 05:08:51 PM »

A gay refugee literally lost fingers fleeing to Canada after Trump's election because will be killed if he returns to his home country.

Alas, these are the people Trump and his apologists wants to keep out of the US.  Ironic, considering that the worldview of many of his supporters is not too different from that of Islamists.

Which is why there are more pressing matters than getting triggered by who is kneeling for an anthem.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies