Next to leave the EU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:18:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next to leave the EU
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which country(s) do you think are most likely to leave the EU after the UK
Ireland

France

Belgium

Netherlands

Luxembourg

Spain

Portugal

Germany

Denmark

Sweden

Finland

Austria

Italy

Malta

Slovenia

Croatia

Greece

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Poland

Hungary

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Romania

Bulgaria

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Next to leave the EU  (Read 2810 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »

Zeman has no power and I don't seem why the Czechs would want to be surrounded by the EU if they're not members.

Greece is the likeliest but I really doubt that happening
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Zeman has no power and I don't seem why the Czechs would want to be surrounded by the EU if they're not members.

Greece is the likeliest but I really doubt that happening

No, I don't understand why anyone would want to be surrounded by the EU if they are not members either  Kiss
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »

If Brexit doesn't work out well for the UK, than no one.  Now if it works out really well, then the EU will likely implode.  Also 48% in the UK voted to remain and with the younger voters voting heavily to remain, had the referendum been held 5-10 years later the remain side would have won due to demographic churn as of those voting leave, many will die off.  UK was always by far the most Euroskeptic to begin with so if it barely passed there doubt it wouldn't elsewhere.  They don't use the Euro, not part of the Scheghen agreement, and while largely symbolic; you almost never see the EU flag on any government building even before Brexit, whereas it is common and in some countries the norm to fly both the national and EU flags on all, most or some government buildings.  In Italy, all government buildings fly the EU flag while in France and Germany last time I went, not all of them had EU flags, but many did including their Reichstag and National Assembly as well as most of the time Macron and Merkel will have both the EU and national flags as backdrops whereas unless meeting another leader, you never saw a British PM with the EU flag in the backdrop, just the Union Jack.  Add to the fact Britain has much stronger ties due to their past empire with non-European countries than any other European country.  So I believe Britain will be the last to leave if they leave at all.  I think they will leave but I believe in around 10 years, they will rejoin the Single Market much like Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland and thus that will mean allowing free mobility of labour again.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »

I think if Brexit turns out well for Britain and not too bad for the EU (i.e soft Brexit), the far more likely outcome is that the more "troublesome" member-states from the 2004 enlargement are offered/demand a similar deal and we essentially enter a multispeed Europe. The more traditional members would maintain the political and legal structures of the EU, if not further integrate due to the nature of Eurozone governance.

If the EU dissolves altogether it will be because France and Germany take radically different geopolitical paths.
Angel of Death
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »

With respect to Greece, the speculation is mostly about them leaving the Eurozone, not the EU.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »

IIRC according to Treaty of Lisbon Rules one cannot withdraw from the Eurozone without also being pulled out of the EU as well.
swl
France

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »

With GDP growing again in Greece, unemployment finally decreasing and the eurozone now willing to discuss debt reduction, I think it would be a bad choice for Greece to create a new crisis just when they can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
It's understandable for voters to be angry after 10 years of pain, but in my opinion the right time to leave was 5 or 6 years ago.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 12:32:07 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2018, 12:34:21 AM by Zyzz »

The UK was always a country with one foot towards the Atlantic and the USA and the Commonwealth and one foot towards Europe. The UK has always been much more skeptical of European integration than any of it's continental neighbours. I can't see any other country wanting to leave for a long time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »

Actually the likeliest answer is probably Catalonia tbh.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies