Differences Between Protestant Denominations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Differences Between Protestant Denominations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Differences Between Protestant Denominations  (Read 420 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »

What are some of the main differences between the Protestant denominations?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »

It's a huge rainbow, Protestant is truly an umbrella term. It's much easier to focus on the few things they have in common, which is basically Christian but not Catholic or Orthodox.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »

One of the things I love most about being a Congregationalist southern Baptist is the extreme rejection of church hierarchy. I believe church is a valuable resource for study, sharing and growing in faith, building community, and evangelism, however I do not see it as an essential requirement for salvation. The church is all believers, not a cabal who have any earthly powers over spiritual matters. I've always found the idea that a church of men somehow has the power to control an individual believer's personal relationship with God, or even damn them,  is idiotic and repugnant to actual Christianity. So that makes us radically different that diet catholic denominations like Episcopalians.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:57:32 AM »

I agree if Blue3. If you're looking with specific differences, some examples include:

Church government: Episcopal vs presbyterian vs congregationalist

Evangelical/Mainline: Most traditions have a conservative and liberal denomination

High or low church: How formal, and liturgical are the services? Anglo-Catholics and Lutherans are at one end, while Pentecostals are at the other.

Continuationist vs cessationist: Do the gifts given at pentecost still exist today?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »

One of the things I love most about being a Congregationalist southern Baptist is the extreme rejection of church hierarchy. I believe church is a valuable resource for study, sharing and growing in faith, building community, and evangelism, however I do not see it as an essential requirement for salvation. The church is all believers, not a cabal who have any earthly powers over spiritual matters. I've always found the idea that a church of men somehow has the power to control an individual believer's personal relationship with God, or even damn them,  is idiotic and repugnant to actual Christianity. So that makes us radically different that diet catholic denominations like Episcopalians.
This. This This. Bolded is very important. No one individual or Church can control all theological because man is fallible. No one in infallible.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »

High or low church: How formal, and liturgical are the services? Anglo-Catholics and Lutherans are at one end, while Pentecostals are at the other.

Actually emergent Lutheran churches exist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies