How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:21:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016?  (Read 21521 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Mountain West- East:

Colorado State University:

Fort Collins, Colorado:

Located barely an hour's drive South from Laramie, Wyoming is the Liberal Democratic stronghold of Fort Collins (Although most in Wyoming consider Laramie to be the Liberal stronghold of Wyoming).

Although it doesn't have the Liberal cachet of University of Colorado- Boulder, it's still a pretty decent sized school, and is obviously a major part of the Community of Fort Collins, along with all the Tech companies that are major employers in their own right within FTC...

Dorm/Campus Vote:

Total Votes: 3,277--- 2,176 HRC (66.4% Dem), 720 DJT (22.0% Rep), 381 Others (11.6%)

+ 44.4% Dem

Off-Campus Undergrad Precincts:

Total Vote: 5,727--- 3,601 HRC (62.9% Dem), 1,381 DJT (24.1% Rep), 745 Others (13.0%)

+ 38.8% Dem

Combined Dorm/Off-Campus Vote:

Total Vote: 9,004--- 5,777 HRC (64.2% Dem), 2,101 DJT (23.3% Rep), 1,126 Others (12.5%)

+ 40.9% Dem

Notes/Comments:

1.) Dorm precincts look pretty clear and include one precinct that is completely located within the campus of CSU going (67-21 Dem) and the precinct that is partially included but encompasses a significant chunk of dorms going slightly more Republican.

2.) Off-Campus precincts I had to be careful since although we have a large belt running West of Campus of clearly Undergrad off-campus housing, and to a lesser extent to the North and South of Campus, some of these precincts also included a significant amount of Non-Undergrads, with huge concentrations of voters aged 18-24 in larger apartment complexes mixed in.

I basically excluded those precincts where it appeared that despite the concentration of Undergrad voters, there was a significant population of Non-Undergrads located within the same precincts.

3.) Thus far it looks like CSU is the least Republican University within the Mountain West- East Conference, and additionally voted to the Left of the City as a whole.

In fact, it looks like Trump performed better at the University of Iowa (!!!) than at Colorado State University, not to mention achieving the same percentage of the vote share in Rutgers (!!!).

4.) Again, we see a high share of 3rd Party voting, which is a bit different than some of the "elite" Universities of the West Coast, Midwest, and Central Atlantic region, with Gary Johnson winning roughly 2:1 against the Green Party candidate, with a small smattering of votes for McMullin thrown into the mix as well.

The Trump brand of Republicanism, apparently did not resonate well at all at CSU, which is definitely not a good sign for the future of the Party in Colorado, considering the very different student base when contrasted against UC-Boulder for example.

Next stop to consolidate the City results for Albuquerque (One of the few cities where I did not perform that exercise because of extreme frustration with precinct coding).

NcLib, I did not forget about your request for one of the last Flagship University Cities you have left on your list for consolidated precinct results. Smiley

Then we simply need to crunch the precinct numbers for the University of New Mexico and the Air Force academy in Colorado springs, and we'll be done with the Mountain West- East data.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »

I think this pretty much has Missouri covered for the summary Dorm/Off-Campus vote.

Usual caveats stated for other universities about messy precincts, and for some of the smaller universities having a decent non-student vote within the same singular precinct it is located in definitely apply here.

WOW--- just WOW !!!!

A +++ for effort reagente, and although you rarely post on Atlas, when you do, you hit the ball out of the park, especially when it comes to precinct and municipal level data.

Haven't had a chance to digest all of this yet, but mind giving all of us a brief Reader's Digest summary, since many of these Colleges and Universities aren't very well known outside of Missouri and the local region....    Wink

What are your opinions about how College and University students voted in Missouri in 2016, with an obvious focused on the Undergrad Pop, since that is the easiest to isolate based on precinct level data, and also there has been a ton of discussion on Atlas about how "younger Millennials" vs
"older Millennials" vote, of which the discussion appears to be based more upon personal anecdotes rather than any type of quantifiable objective data sets...

Especially interested in breakdowns regarding public/private, religious based versus secular Liberal arts schools, etc (Although some of these are obvious in the titles of the colleges).

Most definitive post to date regarding how College and University students posted within a given State in the '16 Pres GE, to date.

I could do something similar for Oregon, although the list would be a bit smaller (Since we don't really have a ton of private colleges and Universities), and one of the unfortunate things that happened shortly after we went to Vote-by-Mail (VbM) precincts became consolidated in a bunch of counties throughout the State.

Still, since I already have the precinct data floating around....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »

Test to reopen thread....
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »

This thread was a pretty fascinating read. In case you still need to fill any blanks, this site should help tremendously.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »

Can anyone add to this?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies