How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016?  (Read 21687 times)
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« on: November 26, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »

So we have now completed the results for the Big-12 Football Conferences by City/Municipality in the 2016 Presidential Election:

Here are how the respective cities of Big-12 Voted (Obviously Campus Votes will have a separate post):

So, what to make of all this?

1.) It obviously challenges the stereotype of the Big-12 essentially representing rural Great Plains and Farm Belt communities, where you have University communities in solidly Trump States (Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Iowa, and Kansas), voting Democratic with the exceptions of Lubbock, Texas and Stillwater, Oklahoma....

2.) It is interesting that Lawrence, Kansas voted almost as Democratic as Austin Texas, despite it being an overwhelmingly Anglo City compared to Austin....

Austin has always been a foil for Texas 'Pubs as the "Liberal" Heart of Texas, but at some point one must wonder to what extent this is vernacular for "White Liberals" versus Huh??

Meanwhile quite Anglos appear to have voted more Democratic in places like Ames and Morgantown than the "Liberal" bastion of Texas.

3.) It also appears that HRC won the White Vote in Manhattan, Kansas (KSU).

4.) I haven't yet run all of precinct numbers by University Precincts for the Big-12, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see HRC having won ever single Big 12 University Undergrad precincts, with the possible exception of Texas Tech in Lubbock, although TCU might possibly have been a Trump win as well...

To be continued, but Trump's surge in the Great Plains states does not yet appear to have extended to the major Division 1-A Football towns and cities.....

Regarding Austin, I should note that Travis county is the only county (out of something like 254) in Texas where Clinton won the white vote. Whites in Texas are expected to be more conservative than whites on the Great Plains, although those states, being whiter, are more republican. Kansas didn't exhibit the same kind of swing seen in the states around it. Brownback backlash may have been a factor.

Trump's surge didn't really extend to many cities at all. It was mostly a rural phenomenon. I would think that both he and Clinton got less than Romney and Obama in 2012 simply because the rise of third parties was especially pronounced with young voters. It's also worth considering that students who live close to their colleges may have voted at home, perhaps making the on campus vote disproportionately out of staters registered at the last minute (presumably strongly leaning D)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies