Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:57:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico  (Read 8504 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »

This situation is really starting to show, even his supporters, that Trump isn't a good leader. I won't be surprised if his approval ratings take a hit.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:27:35 PM by TexasGurl »

People have lost their houses, friends, and family members. People are living without heat, electricity. food or shelter. The government is giving them the bare minimum. The Puerto Ricans have a right to be angry, especially when their leader blames them for their woes and refuses to send more help, and instead, berates them on social media.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:27:45 PM by TexasGurl »

People have lost their houses, friends, and family members. People are living without heat, electricity. food or shelter. The government is giving them the bare minimum. The Puerto Ricans have a right to be angry, especially when their leader blames them for their woes and refuses to send more help, and instead, berates them on social media.

Sprouts is fishing for reactions, dude
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »

If Puerto Rico is not going to be grateful, then they should just leave.

I don't find it amusing. I have friend who are missing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:27:58 PM by TexasGurl »

Trump doesn't seem very grateful to have been elected President. He should leave immediately.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:28:11 PM by TexasGurl »

The moderation team here is generally useless, so the only way to handle posters like that is to ignore them. Hope your friends are alright, man.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:28:21 PM by TexasGurl »

The moderation team here is generally useless, so the only way to handle posters like that is to ignore them. Hope your friends are alright, man.
swf541

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:28:34 PM by TexasGurl »

This and  sprouts

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »

His response is becoming something far worse than the response to Katrina. His attacks on Mayor Cruz make me want to throw up.

She will be one of the stars of the Democratic National Convention in 2020.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:29:19 PM by TexasGurl »

"Our great President."
That must be the funniest thing I've heard all year.
Geesh ... your standards are low .... really LOW.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:01 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:29:40 PM by TexasGurl »

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:29:55 PM by TexasGurl »

> implying that if only Puerto Rico had spent more money on their electrical infrastructure, it would have withstood a category 4 hurricane

wew lad
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »

i
Surprised there hasn't really been a thread on this.

The NOAA posted these satellite images showing how widespread the power outages are:

NYT piece on agricultural devastation:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WaPo article on how the power outages are affecting the island:

PR's governor is requesting federal aid, but there's questions about whether Congress will sign off on a large enough funding package as well as if it will be quick enough, and whether the Trump administration and the DOD will send in the Navy for relief.

I have to wonder, with the debt issue making it impossible for the commonwealth to borrow money for relief, in the case that Congress and Trump don't act quick enough, will there be a mass exodus to the contiguous United States? Florida is the logical place to go, but it could pose a lot of logistical issues if/when people decide to leave the island.

There are a lot of Puerto Ricans in NYC, so that makes more sense than Florida, which is also very vulnerable to strong hurricanes (as Irma showed).
The large number of Puerto Ricans that  have migrated to FL over the past two decades are one of the biggest reason Orange County (Orlando) and Osceola County (Kissimmee) have shifted from Republican to Democrat, and strongly.

Seminole County, which is directly north of Orlando, has been one of the most Republican counties in FL, but now it is narrowly Republican and the tide is Democratic.  Hispanic immigration is a reason, and Puerto Ricans moving to Seminole County is another reason.

In the 1970s, one of my professors was Juan Carlos Silen, author of the book, "We, the Puerto Rican People".  His class was one that was designed to bring one to believe that independence for Puerto Rico was the proper and best resolution to the "status" issue Puerto Ricans on the island have been dealing with almost forever.  In one class, he spoke of the wave of Puerto Rican migration to the US in the postwar period, and stated in 1978 that the next wave of migration from Puerto Rico would be a wave of professionals.  This, indeed, has happened, and it has affected Florida's politics as much as any state.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:36:33 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

It's an ISLAND in the middle of an OCEAN. No, that would not help nearly as much as you suspect. But it would be nice if the Feds assisted with both.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »

Krazen is looking for responses. Stop responding to him.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 08:31:18 PM by TexasGurl »

You know something, I try to be nice here. I try to see the good in everyone, no matter how loopy they may be politically. I don't like picking fights and I don't like partisan mudslinging.

But f**k you. F**k you, f**k Reaganfan, f**k Sprouts, and f**k the hillbilly horsecart you and your fat prick president all rode in on.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »

Krazen is looking for responses. Stop responding to him.

aren't we all just looking for responses, or some semblance of human contact in this lonely, isolating world?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

Not only has the catastrophic hurricane created the conditions to accelerate the Puerto Rican diaspora to the states, but Trump has provided the perfect political conditions to polarize us further into the Democratic fold. The humanitarian disaster, the deaths, the carelessness, the ineptitude, none of that will be forgotten.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-puerto-rico-healthcare-20170930-story.html

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

+1 to making Peurto Rico a state since that is the only way a lot of scumbags, including Trump, will care about the people there.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2017, 10:22:26 PM »

People rather believe Trump and the Media when it comes to a humanitarian crisis? So far everybody who are actually on the ground are clearly stating that there isn't enough supplies or help coming in and Trump is still ignoring them. I'm gonna be sick.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »

People rather believe Trump and the Media when it comes to a humanitarian crisis? So far everybody who are actually on the ground are clearly stating that there isn't enough supplies or help coming in and Trump is still ignoring them. I'm gonna be sick.

I haven't heard from my parents in over a week. I'm pretty miserable and worried to death right now.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »

Remember when everyone was saying "Give Trump a chance, give him a chance, give him a chance" as if he was somehow going to be good at the job? Yeah, it doesn't look like that fantasy came true. It was clear from the start he would be a disaster and now no one can deny it or hope for better.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »

Hope your family is ok Arch.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »

Puerto Rico's new migration to Florida could turn state Democratic

There could be some very negative (for Trump/GOP) unintended political consequences for this administration's mismanagement of this crisis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies