Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:31:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's Katrina: The ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico  (Read 8550 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »

I've been up to date on everything, including what's happening on the ground, but I preferred not to post it here, as it's hard enough as is. If you have any questions, let me know though.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:54:14 PM »

Next Tuesday is too late.

Anyway, it’s time Puerto Rico became a state. They pay taxes, they fly our flag, they are citizens, they can become president (yet aren’t allowed to vote in the general), no passport is needed to travel there. I suspect a lot of people don’t know most of that, and I bet the president didn’t know, which is the most likely reason for his delayed and weak response.

They are as American as anyone in the mainland and should finally be treated as such.

Bless your soul
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

Next Tuesday is too late.

Anyway, it’s time Puerto Rico became a state. They pay taxes, they fly our flag, they are citizens, they can become president (yet aren’t allowed to vote in the general), no passport is needed to travel there. I suspect a lot of people don’t know most of that, and I bet the president didn’t know, which is the most likely reason for his delayed and weak response.

They are as American as anyone in the mainland and should finally be treated as such.
Basically this. Hurricane Maria was the strongest hurricane in a decade, and American citizens are going to die if Trump doesn't get up off his ass, stop tweeting about the NFL, and go help Puerto Rico and the USVI. It's a humanitarian crisis and Trump needs to be held completely accountable for any loss of life that occurs as a result of his administration's negligence.

Or maybe if we stop spending money on fictional things trying to determine how much polar ice caps melting cause bears to have diarrhea, maybe we could spend it on better forecasting tool to see storms like Maria and give people more time to prepare?

Your ignorance is comical at this point. Puerto Ricans knew of María for over a week, but there's so much you can do about a tornado the size of Ohio that lasts more than a day with torrential rainfall. Do you feel any kind of embarrassment?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »

This president...

"President's comments regarding the lifting of the Merchant Marine Act, “We’re thinking about that,” he said at a White House press event. “But we have a lot of shippers and … a lot of people who work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.” Remember, those people can vote, Puerto Ricans can't!"

I.E. "Who cares if American lives are lost to starvation, thirst, or illness. The other ones can vote!"

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »

This president...

"President's comments regarding the lifting of the Merchant Marine Act, “We’re thinking about that,” he said at a White House press event. “But we have a lot of shippers and … a lot of people who work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.” Remember, those people can vote, Puerto Ricans can't!"

I.E. "Who cares if American lives are lost to starvation, thirst, or illness. The other ones can vote!"

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Good lord, he openly admitted he doesn't care because they can't vote?

No. That's not part of the quote. That's something the poster added on.

If you look closely, the whole thing is a quote, and there are quotes within that.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:01 PM »

Trump making Puerto Ricans pay to be evacuated.

Link: http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/28/donald-trump-is-making-people-pay-to-be-evacuated-from-puerto-rico-6963377/
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »

Some of my family and friends are going hungry, and this clown keeps making a fool of himself. SOMEBODY MAKE HIM DO SOMETHING!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »

Trump flopping on response. Ineffective, people are hungry and dying.

The Hill: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/353137-not-enough-troops-equipment-in-puerto-rico-says-general-in-charge-of-relief
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2017, 11:45:50 PM by Arch »

Two of my friends have already lost some of their relatives as a consequence of the aftermath, a grandmother and an aunt. Things are worsening by the day...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:34:02 AM »

If trump is going to Puerto Rico expecting a hero’s welcome he is sorely mistaking. I hope they give him a piece of their mind.

What also pisses me off is that people are ignoring them solely because they are unaware that PR is a ing U.S. Territory. I can’t begin to count how many of my Trumper cousins have been bashing the San Juan mayor on Facebook, calling her “ignorant.”  Makes me sick to my stomach.

Agreed. Gonna drop this video update here from CNN (on the ground) to further strengthen your point.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/913945349903065088?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email&iid=700e41fc54784c419ed44b68936457a0&uid=2479133352&nid=244+272699392
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »

So, Trump was triggered by the mayor of San Juan's, Carmen Yulín, response to the administration's misinformation, in which they say things were fine even as casualties increase by the day in the island. So, he decided to go on a Twitter tantrum, calling her "nasty" and calling Puerto Ricans lazy...

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

#LazyPuertoRicans

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

I'll drop this here too.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

Not only has the catastrophic hurricane created the conditions to accelerate the Puerto Rican diaspora to the states, but Trump has provided the perfect political conditions to polarize us further into the Democratic fold. The humanitarian disaster, the deaths, the carelessness, the ineptitude, none of that will be forgotten.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »

People rather believe Trump and the Media when it comes to a humanitarian crisis? So far everybody who are actually on the ground are clearly stating that there isn't enough supplies or help coming in and Trump is still ignoring them. I'm gonna be sick.

I haven't heard from my parents in over a week. I'm pretty miserable and worried to death right now.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »

I realize it means little, but I'll be praying for you and your family Arch.

Personally, it means a lot to me. Thank you, really.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from them soon.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »

The Hill: Trump says Puerto Rico's debt needs to be wiped out
You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Trump "wipes out" Puerto Rico's debt, that would be a huge surprise and a rare bright spot in what has been an absolutely disastrous administration.

Yep, but one would be a fool to believe anything he says without any indications of action.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies