One Nation After Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:09:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  One Nation After Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One Nation After Trump  (Read 574 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:40 AM »

I began to read the book: "One Nation After Trump"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/book-excerpt-nation-trump/story?id=50200392

The Trump presidency is already a Disaster. It seems to be the third major crisis in the US history, after the Civil War and the Great depression.

The biggest challenge will be the way to manage the after-Trump era and how to make America Great Again, for real and better than Trump.

Discuss.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »

Our global standing will be significantly lowered after Trump is done.   The rest of the countries around the world are simply moving on without us.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »

Our global standing will be significantly lowered after Trump is done.   The rest of the countries around the world are simply moving on without us.

Pretty much. He is making our country look like It's Always Sunny.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »

I wouldn't say it's almost as much as a crisis as the Civil War or Great Depression, but it has the potential.....
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »

The Trump presidency is already a Disaster. It seems to be the third major crisis in the US history, after the Civil War and the Great depression.
lol
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »

I wouldn't take it to the extreme the OP has mentioned, but I am concerned about the damage done to the On Your Honor system that is the Constitution. Republicans let Trump in, and now what's to stop someone just as corrupt (if not more) but also competent from rising to power next? If Congress didn't stop this, why would they stop anything else?

In addition, the electoral college was instituted for just a situation like this, and yet those members didn't do their job of protecting the people from themselves. I am truly worried about how the country will continue as most people seem too passive to fight for what the constitution requires them to fight for.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

lol

No, it is not funny, unless you like sick jokes. Donald Trump has aligned with the worst tendencies to use his one skill -- showmanship -- to promote himself.  But now he is on display 24/7, and he is sick parody.

The author recognizes Trump as much a symptom as he is the disease itself. If a surgeon excises a smoking-related  tumor from a chain smoker and does not try to make that smoker quit smoking, then that surgeon has not done the complete job.

I look at the polling and I see a President failing to convince us that he was the right choice in 2016, or that voting for Hillary Clinton was not the right choice. It is not that he has forced some hard decisions that can solve a problem, as did Reagan's anti-inflationary matters, with the promise that when the problem is solved we will forget the pain of having to deal with lowered expectations.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That change includes the increasing importance of the large, and increasingly successful, Hispanic majority. That change recognizes the validity of the "Talented Tenth" (now more like the "Talented Fifth" or more of the black population. It also recognizes that if Asian-Americans are doing well and many white people aren't because Asian-Americans (even if they are not a cultural monolith) on the whole respect formal education as necessary means of getting a chance and many whites lose because they disparage education in a sentiment that Donald Trump exploits (as in "I love the under-educated voter), then maybe those white people need to change their attitudes toward formal education. Yes, I am pointing to West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and much of the Deep South.

Donald Trump supports practices that will hurt his electoral supporters of 2016. No President has shown so much contempt for what makes America great than does he. Spite is incompatible with rule of law, an essentially conservative concept (at which Barack Obama was as conservative as anyone).

I expect catastrophic failure by President Trump, and for the conservative expressions of politics that we now have. I even go so far as saying that the next successful conservative President will have much more in common with Barack Obama than with Donald Trump.      

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »

Calling 9 months of Trump a crisis on the tier of the Civil War and Great Depression doesn't deserve more than a 3-letter response. Well, perhaps a 4-letter response.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

The US has faced many crises beyond the Great Depression and the Civil War - the invasion of the country in 1812, the Nullification Crisis, the succession crisis after the death of William Harrison, the numerous pre-Civil War skirmishes and feuds, the 1876 disputed election, the Saturday Night Massacre etc.

So far (although Trump is probably the most temperamentally unfit POTUS of all time) Trump has not started to push the nation into outright constitutional crisis nor is their evidence (not yet anyway) of outright conspiracy rather than mere gross incompetence. But it is starting to spin out of control - an administration can freewheel and enrich itself, and still remain relatively non-disastrous, but if it starts to impact on government function (i.e. the disaster in FEMA) you're going to see further unrest.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »

There is a good side to this - that the US is losing it's monopoly over Western geopolitical strategy, and opening up more room for debate. Plus, I suspect a post-Trump president trying to cobble together a "coalition of the willing" for a controversial war will face a heck of a lot more blowback than we've seen for any president up to this point.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »

The US will survive Trump.

But we all need to start speaking Russian.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »

But we all need to start speaking Russian Chinese.

FTFY

Russia is a major power, but its influence is almost entirely local. China is a major power well on the way to superpower status and is more than merely a regional military power.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

There is a good side to this - that the US is losing it's monopoly over Western geopolitical strategy, and opening up more room for debate. Plus, I suspect a post-Trump president trying to cobble together a "coalition of the willing" for a controversial war will face a heck of a lot more blowback than we've seen for any president up to this point.

The Trump era comes just in time at the same time that we are seeing a new multipolar world being formed.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »

But we all need to start speaking Russian Chinese.

FTFY

Russia is a major power, but its influence is almost entirely local. China is a major power well on the way to superpower status and is more than merely a regional military power.

On that note, its remarkable how little attention OBOR has gotten in the West
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies