"Both Parties"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Both Parties"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Both Parties"  (Read 2370 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »

I'm hearing a lot about how "both parties" have moved to the extremes. I do agree that indeed both Dems and the GOP have embraced the base more than ever. But can anyone honestly make the case that the GOP, especially after tonight, has not become the extreme fringe that once made up a big but not majoritarian chunk of the party? Can someone really point to proof that the move to the fringe has been the same for the Dems as the GOP?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »

The left's extreme does not have anywhere close to the same control over the Democrats that the right's has over the GOP. So no, you're right, in that sense.

Both left and right's fringes have become amplified and more mainstreamed in the age of social media though
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »

Worse Dems have is a Bernie Sanders style person, who isn't bad at all, just a bit unrealistic of what can occur and the timeframe it can happen in.  The GOP have people who don't know if gays should be put to death as their nominees for the US Senate and federal judgeships.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 09:10:02 PM »

So should we say, because of Sanders becoming the face of the party, that Democrats are becoming the face of the extreme left? No, just like we shouldn't say the opposite.

And it's Alabama.  Running someone like Moore against someone like Phil Scott in Vermont isn't going to work.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »

Worse Dems have is a Bernie Sanders style person, who isn't bad at all, just a bit unrealistic of what can occur and the timeframe it can happen in.  The GOP have people who don't know if gays should be put to death as their nominees for the US Senate and federal judgeships.

I don't like Moore at all, especially in regards to disobeying the Constitution and SCOTUS, but to set the record straight, he said, when asked about whether he supported putting gays to death, said "I don't, you know," not "I don't know."
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

So should we say, because of Sanders becoming the face of the party, that Democrats are becoming the face of the extreme left? No, just like we shouldn't say the opposite.

And it's Alabama.  Running someone like Moore against someone like Phil Scott in Vermont isn't going to work.

Bernie is intellectually ideological and that's fine and many may disagree but his ideology is rooted in an intellectually consistent belief in things like social democracy. I disagree with him on several things and I supported Hillary in 2016. But there are essentially 0 Democrats who have an insidious, toxic mere presence in the vein of Trump or Moore. The whole embrace of Trump as the conservative populist savior is intellectually inconsistent and dishonest. It's breathtaking.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »

I don't like Moore at all, especially in regards to disobeying the Constitution and SCOTUS, but to set the record straight, he said, when asked about whether he supported putting gays to death, said "I don't, you know," not "I don't know."

Shhh ... you're disrupting their 2 minutes hate propaganda.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:25:50 PM »

Bernie is intellectually ideological and that's fine and many may disagree but his ideology is rooted in an intellectually consistent belief in things like social democracy. I disagree with him on several things and I supported Hillary in 2016. But there are essentially 0 Democrats who have an insidious, toxic mere presence in the vein of Trump or Moore. The whole embrace of Trump as the conservative populist savior is intellectually inconsistent and dishonest. It's breathtaking.

Coraxion, genocide deniers The Young Turks, Antifa, and Occupy Wall Street might want to talk to you. Come on - Pramila Jayapal, Ben Jealous, Kshama Sawant, David Zuckerman... A lot of very left wing people are beginning to gain popularity. The Democrats almost elected Keith Ellison as their DNC Chair.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »

Coraxion, genocide deniers The Young Turks, Antifa, and Occupy Wall Street might want to talk to you. Come on - Pramila Jayapal, Ben Jealous, Kshama Sawant, David Zuckerman... A lot of very left wing people are beginning to gain popularity. The Democrats almost elected Keith Ellison as their DNC Chair.

Coraxion has now reached Donald Trump and Roy Moore levels of importance. RIP HP Cry
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »

Yes, both parties have moved to the extreme neoliberal warmongering, and choose to have a handful of wedge issues to keep people partisan.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »

So your examples are...
A non-name guy who trolled this board and got banned.
Some dipsh!ts who have a podcast who shilled for Trump last year and now moan about how Russia is so innocent have a huge alt-right following on Twitter.
A very loosely organized "group" that consists of mostly anarchists and communists, not Democrats.
An effectively extinct social movement from five years ago.

And then you cite a backbencher Congresswoman, a venture capitalist, a member of a Trotskyist party who is not a Democrat and...the Lt. Governor of Vermont. Yeah as noted that's a pretty powerful and notable batch in comparison to Donald Trump.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 12:18:15 AM »

And the Lt Governor of Vermont, isn't he a member of the Vermont Progressive Party ?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 12:50:42 AM »

And the Lt Governor of Vermont, isn't he a member of the Vermont Progressive Party ?

As well as the Vermont Auditor, 10/18 state legislators, and 4/12 of the Burlington city council. They're the most successful 3rd party in America.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:14 AM »

So your examples are...
A non-name guy who trolled this board and got banned.
Some dipsh!ts who have a podcast who shilled for Trump last year and now moan about how Russia is so innocent have a huge alt-right following on Twitter.
A very loosely organized "group" that consists of mostly anarchists and communists, not Democrats.
An effectively extinct social movement from five years ago.

And then you cite a backbencher Congresswoman, a venture capitalist, a member of a Trotskyist party who is not a Democrat and...the Lt. Governor of Vermont. Yeah as noted that's a pretty powerful and notable batch in comparison to Donald Trump.

Don't forget civil rights leader.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »

Most Democrats (not all) fanatically support Planned Parenthood, and fight against efforts to regulate the abortion industry.  Many even celebrate it abortion.  Fighting to keep murder legal seems pretty extreme to me.

Most Democrats (not all) believe that holding traditional Christian, Muslim, or Jewish views on sexuality makes one an evil person that must be marginalized.  MLK Jr., Hubert Humphrey, and many more would be considered bigots by modern liberal standards.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »

Most Democrats (not all) fanatically support Planned Parenthood, and fight against efforts to regulateprotect the abortionforced pregnancy industry.  Many even celebrate it abortion.    

Most Democrats (not all) believe that holding forcing traditional Christian, Muslim, or Jewish views on others sexuality makes one an evil person that must be marginalized.

FIFY. YW.

False equivalence is the Trumpublican weapon of choice these days. They would have supported the Nazis in WWII, pointing at how American GIs killed people too, and how the US had concentration camps for Japanese Americans, so both countries must be the same. (And probably added that Hilter's goverment had some fine people in it.)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »

It's so funny how an, uh, 'extreme fringe' can easily win all elections while the other party gets routed in the elections and starts sulking and whining about being losers.

Words have no meaning.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »

The only reason the democrats don't have the extremist wing of their party take over is due to the fact they have super delegates and have a proportional based primary system .
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »

The problem with talk of "extremism" is that it fundamentally assumes that the problem with "extremists" is their extreme level of departure from the status quo. The kinds of people who think like this are a problem.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »

The only reason the democrats don't have the extremist wing of their party take over is due to the fact they have super delegates and have a proportional based primary system .
bingo. 100% correct. before they had superdelegates, the base chose losers like mcgovern. in fact, thats why they created the system after carter got his ass kicked by reagan.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »

bingo. 100% correct. before they had superdelegates, the base chose losers like mcgovern. in fact, thats why they created the system after carter got his ass kicked by reagan.

The base wanted Ted, and 1984 went swimmingly under the superdelegates.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »

I've seen selling parking enforcement to venture capital described as selling your dishware and then renting it back. In comparison, would this be launching a shakedown racket on your family to deal with being over budget.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »

Clinton would've won the primary without superdelegates.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

Most Democrats (not all) fanatically support Planned Parenthood, and fight against efforts to regulate the abortion industry.  Many even celebrate it abortion.  Fighting to keep murder legal seems pretty extreme to me.

Most Democrats (not all) believe that holding traditional Christian, Muslim, or Jewish views on sexuality makes one an evil person that must be marginalized.  MLK Jr., Hubert Humphrey, and many more would be considered bigots by modern liberal standards.

Interesting that you think MLK Jr. would have opposed same sex marriage, considering Coretta Scott King became an advocate for gay rights as early as 1986.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »

Name one way Keith Ellison is remotely is toxic as a thousand top Republicans from Trump et al other than being from a scary scary religion
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies