Quebec Municipal Elections 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Municipal Elections 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quebec Municipal Elections 2017  (Read 9353 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 06, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »

No vote for me this year, both my mayor and my councillor were reelected without opposition.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »

The guy running for mayor for coalition Montreal is a former Tory candidate? Wikipedia says they are a "centre-left" party though...

They scrape what they can, now one of their candidates is in trouble for saying then feminism is a mental illness.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »

The guy running for mayor for coalition Montreal is a former Tory candidate? Wikipedia says they are a "centre-left" party though...

They scrape what they can, now one of their candidates is in trouble for saying then feminism is a mental illness.

Ahh. Should change their ideology to "alt-right"

Is it possible that the party was hijacked? I imagine it couldn't be that hard to hijack a municipal party.

Probably, their main campaign plank is to reduce taxes by 10% by delaying road works, asking government to transfer some city powers to the Metropolitan Community (spliting the bill between 82 towns, instead) and by a tax on people using water to heat or climatize their home.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »

Ahh. Should change their ideology to "alt-right"

Is it possible that the party was hijacked? I imagine it couldn't be that hard to hijack a municipal party.

Maybe, but hijacked by Coderre himself? it's a personalist list "Equipe Denis Coderre" so I think anyone from the centre to right wing who are looking for a name to jump onto and a vehicle to be elected tried to run for the nomination under his list. Most of the candidates/Councillors were from the old Union Montreal which says it was centrist but looked more centre-right.

We're not talking about Coderre's party, we're talking about Coalition Montréal.

And now their mayoral candidate is suspending his campaign and endorsing Valérie Plante (Projet Montréal, left-wing), to not divide the anti-Coderre vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »

When Coderre refers derisively to Projet Montreal as “that clan from the Plateau”, it can’t be very helpful to candidates running under Coderre’s banner in the Plateau

True, but he somehow found candidates who are good embodiments of the Plateau and its culture. There was a decent amount of crossover vote in 2013, but I wonder if things will be more partisan this time around.

I would argue Coderre found good candidates in areas where his party is weak, but I think that's also the case for Projet Montréal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:18:29 AM »

I was planning on voting for Fortier. Might still vote for him as a protest, because I see Coderre as corrupt and a bully and Plante as having ideas that are a little pie-in-the-sky. What's interesting is that Coalition doesn't have that many candidates, and the ones they have are all over the place. One posted a bunch of anti-feminist stuff and has no political background. Another, Deborah Rankin, is an experienced, poised Anglophone journalist.

Funny you call him a bully, Radio-Canada investigation office has an hit piece saying than the mayor Cabinet bullies public servants, election officials and even journalists in Montreal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

I don't actually know enough about the municipal governance structure in Montreal to know what powers the mayor has as an executive and how much of his agenda is stymied by council etc... Would it be a French-style co-habitation that would happen when Chirac was President and the left controlled parliament?

Executive power of mayors is very variable. It's up to the council how big it is.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 04:31:29 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2017, 04:33:18 AM by MaxQue »

There are a few borough specific teams in pre-merger towns, Lachine, LaSalle and Anjou. There doesn't seem to be one anymore in Outremont so one of the main parties could gain borough mayor (I think there is also an independent running).

Outremont borough council is a mess in any case (it figured many times in Infoman due its dysfunctionnal council, with never ending arguments and councillors walking out to not lose votes). Mayor being formely Conservons Outremont and councillors being 1 formely Conservons Outremont, 1 Independant (NOT Conservons Outremont), 1 Projet and 1 Équipe Denis Coderre probably doesn't help.

If we conpare changes on the maps (defection unless noted otherwise):
Borough mayors:
L'Île-Bizard--Sainte-Geneviève: Vrai Changement -> Projet
Côte-des-Neiges--Notre-Dame-de-Grâce: Coalition -> Denis Coderre
Mercier--Hochelaga-Maisonnaeuve: Coalition -> Denis Coderre
Sud-Ouest: Coalition -> Projet
Outrement: Conservons Outremont -> Independant

City council:
Étienne-Desmarteau (Rosemont--La-Petite-Patrie): Projet -> Denis Coderre
Vieux-Rosemont (Rosemont--La-Petite-Patrie): Projet -> Denis Coderre
Saint-Jacques (Ville-Marie): Projet -> Denis Coderre
Villeray (Villeray--Saint-Michel--Parc-Extension): Coalition ->Denis Coderre
Saint-Léonard East (Saint-Léonard): Coalition ->Denis Coderre
Sault-au-Récollet (Ahuntsic-Cartierville) -> Vrai Changement -> Denis Coderre
Lachine: Dauphin -> Denis Coderre

Borough councils:
L'Île-Bizard--Sainte-Geneviève
Jacques-Bizard: Vrai Changement -> Projet
Denis-Benjamin-Viger: Vrai Changement -> Prohet
Sainte-Genevière: Équipe Richard Bélanger -> Denis Coderre

Lachine:
Fort-Rolland: Dauphin -> Denis Coderre
Du Canal: Dauphin -> Projet

Anjou:
West: Équipe Anjou -> Independant
Center: Équipe Anjou -> Denis Coderre

Outremont:
Jeanne-Sauvé: Conservons Outremont -> Independent
Robert-Bourassa: Conservons Outremont -> Denis Coderre (through a by-election)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

In my case, didn't vote as my mayor and councillor were reelected without opposition (as did all incumbent). Will still follow the contests for the 3 open seats in my city, obviously.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »

Is Montreal all early votes? Plante's lead has increased by only about 300 votes with dozens more polls.

I suspect the votes we got at 8PM were early, now they are day votes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »

Gatineau mayor is reelected.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

So how long till Plante victory projected, or am I missing something?

They probably wants to keep the public on, because it's at 52-45 since the very first minute.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 09:30:53 PM »

Coalition Montreal survives as Marvin Rotrand is reelected again (he's a councillor since 1982).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 10:01:09 PM »

For?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2017, 10:15:14 PM by MaxQue »

For Montreal, Coderre is losing 46-51 (154k vs. 172k), Plante has been declared elected.
City Council: Projet 34, Denis Coderre 25, Team Barbe 3, Team Anjou 2, Coalition 1

All other important mayors are reelected but Sherbrooke one (he is the husband of a Liberal MP and minister).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »

Well, Saguenay was taken by the Opposition leader, but the incumbent mayor was retiring and she was widely expected to win.

Longueuil is uncalled, tight between the party of the outgoing mayor and the party created by the most councillors of that party when their candidate lost the leadership race.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »

Well, Saguenay was taken by the Opposition leader, but the incumbent mayor was retiring and she was widely expected to win.

Longueuil is uncalled, tight between the party of the outgoing mayor and the party created by the most councillors of that party when their candidate lost the leadership race.

Any former NDP M.Ps elected to anything?

Groghué, Longueuil, NO (14%)
Mai, Brossard, most likely not, but currently 2nd (but incumbent is 3rd)
Nicholls, Hudson: not declared yet

Any others running I don't know?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »

François Pilon was running is district 17 in Laval, for Action Laval. 2nd place, with 21% (winner is from the mayor party, with 45%).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 11:03:26 PM »

Quebec City:

Labeaume 17, "Québec 21" 2, Démocratie Québec 1, Independent 1
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

In Longueuil Parent seems to be ahead by 59 votes over Latendresse. Not sure if the count is final. there will probably be a recount being so close.

From the official website, 71 votes lead with 5 boxes left (out of 495 boxes)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »

Any former NDP M.Ps elected to anything?

Groghué, Longueuil, NO (14%)
Mai, Brossard, most likely not, but currently 2nd (but incumbent is 3rd)
Nicholls, Hudson: not declared yet

Any others running I don't know?

Seems Jamie Nicholls is elected mayor with 73% of the vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »

In Longueuil Parent seems to be ahead by 59 votes over Latendresse. Not sure if the count is final. there will probably be a recount being so close.

From the official website, 71 votes lead with 5 boxes left (out of 495 boxes)

She wins by 118 votes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 12:56:18 AM »

Both of them are for borough councils, not city council, through.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »

Both of them are for borough councils, not city council, through.
Yes.

Bergeron has lost his seat.

That is not surprising in the least. In fact, I think every defector to Équipe Denis Coderre lost, while every defector to Projet Montréal won.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 01:33:54 AM »

What happened in Lachine? Projet Montréal did a clean sweep and Valérie Plante got nearly 60%.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies