Experts confirm gender identity is biological
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:02:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Experts confirm gender identity is biological
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Experts confirm gender identity is biological  (Read 7651 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »

So they have a medical test that can tell people what their gender identity is?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

Psh. Experts. What does America say? How does Joe Six-pack feel about this?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »

1) what are androgens?

2) interesting note on identical twins. The only trans sibling pair I'm aware of are the Wachowskis, who are not twins

3) this study conforms with what I've always suspected is true anyhow, which is why I don't get the activists who insist gender is fluid/a choice. Please enlighten me if I'm missing the mark with that analysis, but I've always viewed that rhetorical argument as essentially confirming the SoCon claim that's LGBT is a choice... which LGBT advocates and allies have spent a LOT of time and energy disputing (and with which I agree. It's not a choice, in my view).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »

This won't stop fundies from creating their own "science".  They'll find their own "proof" that it's a choice, just as how rape does not result in pregnancy and how dinosaurs walked the Earth with Jesus.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »

It's biological because its all about the brain.  A person's brain makes them who they are.

Gender identity is a spectrum and no matter who you are, you have a place on it, whether you're a macho guy or a feminine guy or just kinda in between.

Every one is an individual and every one is unique.

I wish all kids were allowed to just be who they were and not be confined to strict gender roles.

God made each human being their own person.

I myself am not a "man" by society's expectations and standards, or a "woman".  I just identity as other because nothing fits.  Gender is not important to me.  What matters is what kind of person you are.

People who insist that your physical body defines you from birth are just not seeing the bigger picture.

And by the way, a lot of Joe Six-packs are trans too:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »

It's biological because its all about the brain.  A person's brain makes them who they are.

Gender identity is a spectrum and no matter who you are, you have a place on it, whether you're a macho guy or a feminine guy or just kinda in between.

Every one is an individual and every one is unique.

I wish all kids were allowed to just be who they were and not be confined to strict gender roles.

God made each human being their own person.

I myself am not a "man" by society's expectations and standards, or a "woman".  I just identity as other because nothing fits.  Gender is not important to me.  What matters is what kind of person you are.

People who insist that your physical body defines you from birth are just not seeing the bigger picture.

And by the way, a lot of Joe Six-packs are trans too:

I agree with your spirit of your argument, though I generally don't follow how gender identity (man, woman, other) is the same as a socially constructed gender role. Plenty of tomboys out there who still identify as women, after all. And I was not (and still am not) Mr. Macho (though I once tried and failed to be), yet I am nothing other than a man. Not sure I think *how* you are your gender reflects whether you *are* your gender. If that makes any sense. This is not a subject I'm well versed in.
kyc0705

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »

I hope that the findings help to encourage the acceptance of transgender individuals both by the government and by average citizens.

Sadly, this country has a thing about not trusting experts.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »

But, but... I thought gender was a social construct Huh How can square circle, lor?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »

Does anyone honestly believe someone would CHOOSE to be transgender (or homosexual, bisexual, etc.)?  Why on earth would anyone choose an extra hardship?  Why would they choose to be discriminated against?  Sexuality is not black and white, and sexual identity and attractions are not simply controlled by one's will.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »

Does anyone honestly believe someone would CHOOSE to be transgender (or homosexual, bisexual, etc.)?  Why on earth would anyone choose an extra hardship?  Why would they choose to be discriminated against?  Sexuality is not black and white, and sexual identity and attractions are not simply controlled by one's will.

Why is that so hard to imagine? Didn't Rachel Dolezal choose to be black?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »

As long as you're in a state with non-discrimination protections, this isn't much of an argument anymore. Outside of conservative church communities, society is pretty accepting of LGBTs, or at least has a "meh, I don't like it, but it's not worth fighting over" attitude.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »

this is the foundation for a pretty bitter division in the online community fwiw between "trutrans" (who view transgenderism strictly through the lens of gender dysphoria) and "tucutes" (who, at their most extreme, deny that GD is even a thing and that anybody can chose to be cis or trans or something in between). Tis odd.
kyc0705

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »

As long as you're in a state with non-discrimination protections, this isn't much of an argument anymore. Outside of conservative church communities, society is pretty accepting of LGBTs, or at least has a "meh, I don't like it, but it's not worth fighting over" attitude.

It still isn’t something you would choose. Transgender folks are still misunderstood and stigmatized by large swaths of society, even if it isn’t outright discrimination. To think otherwise is to be ignorant of the difference between legal protections and social acceptance.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »

It still isn’t something you would choose. Transgender folks are still misunderstood and stigmatized by large swaths of society, even if it isn’t outright discrimination. To think otherwise is to be ignorant of the difference between legal protections and social acceptance.

Yeah, I agree. Chalk me up as sympathetic with the "trutrans" side, I guess.

this is the foundation for a pretty bitter division in the online community fwiw between "trutrans" (who view transgenderism strictly through the lens of gender dysphoria) and "tucutes" (who, at their most extreme, deny that GD is even a thing and that anybody can chose to be cis or trans or something in between). Tis odd.

I've seen how hostile these arguments (not this one specifically) can get. See also: anything to do with TERFs (which TBF I understand why transpeople take a dim view)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »

But, but... I thought gender was a social construct Huh How can square circle, lor?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »

Gender is biological.  XX=female  XY=male.  Experts confirmed this long ago.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »

That's sex, not gender. They're two different things. And even with biological sex, there is more variety than that.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »

I believe what the researchers have concluded is that human behavior is, largely, genetically determined; gender itself is a social construct that changes depending upon culture. So, a person who's inclined to what society deems to be "feminine" traits would be aligned with the feminine gender and more likely to self-identify as a girl/woman.

In reality, the best approach to handling gender is its total abolition as a practical concept. The structured, hierarchical, stereotype-centered, and socially constructed notions of masculinity and feminity should be eliminated from modern life, thereby allowing people to form a self-identity that aligns with their innermost being. They may enjoy football, beer, putting on makeup, reading books, and wearing dresses while having a penis, and it shouldn't mean anything more than "that's X and they enjoy doing those things."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »

I believe what the researchers have concluded is that human behavior is, largely, genetically determined; gender itself is a social construct that changes depending upon culture. So, a person who's inclined to what society deems to be "feminine" traits would be aligned with the feminine gender and more likely to self-identify as a girl/woman.

In reality, the best approach to handling gender is its total abolition as a practical concept. The structured, hierarchical, stereotype-centered, and socially constructed notions of masculinity and feminity should be eliminated from modern life, thereby allowing people to form a self-identity that aligns with their innermost being. They may enjoy football, beer, putting on makeup, reading books, and wearing dresses while having a penis, and it shouldn't mean anything more than "that's X and they enjoy doing those things."

Exactly. The idea that people who were born with two X chromosomes could have biological brains more similar to those born with penises, than others of their 'sex', and vice versa, should demolish the idea that people should be treated in a certain way based on their reproductive biology, as opposed to their individual behavior, or personality.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »

That's sex, not gender. They're two different things. And even with biological sex, there is more variety than that.
I don't buy into that gender is different from sex crap.  They were the same until SJWs tried to rewrite the basics of biology.  you cant be both a boy and a girl.  Ok, I concede there are some chromosomal abnormalities, and I am very familiar with the science surrounding them.  Turner syndrome is where you just have one X Chromosome and no Y or 2nd X.  If you have this you are a girl but are infertile and suffer form a few other issues as well.  Also, their is Klinefelter syndrome which you are XXY.  People with this are still boys and actually still can have kids in some situations.  There are also conditions where a guy can have more than one Y Chromosome but this often goes undiagnosed.  If you are reading this and are a guy, you might be and XYY and not even know it.  These abnormalities are extremely rare and the rule goes, if you have a Y you are a guy, if not, you are a girl.  Hermaphodites also exist but it is impossible to produce both eggs and sperm.  The other set of genitals are usually underdeveloped.  If you have a Y chromosome, you can't get pregnant, period.  If you lack a Y chromosome, you cant fertilize an egg, period.  Sex and gender solely exist because of reproduction so to attribute anything else to them than that is ridiculous.  I hope you aren't an anti-science liberal. 
"Facts don't care about your feelings."-Ben Shapiro
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Exactly!

And it is your feelings that facts don't care about.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »

I don't buy into that gender is different from sex crap.  They were the same until SJWs tried to rewrite the basics of biology.  you cant be both a boy and a girl.  Ok, I concede there are some chromosomal abnormalities, and I am very familiar with the science surrounding them.  Turner syndrome is where you just have one X Chromosome and no Y or 2nd X.  If you have this you are a girl but are infertile and suffer form a few other issues as well.  Also, their is Klinefelter syndrome which you are XXY.  People with this are still boys and actually still can have kids in some situations.  There are also conditions where a guy can have more than one Y Chromosome but this often goes undiagnosed.  If you are reading this and are a guy, you might be and XYY and not even know it.  These abnormalities are extremely rare and the rule goes, if you have a Y you are a guy, if not, you are a girl.  Hermaphodites also exist but it is impossible to produce both eggs and sperm.  The other set of genitals are usually underdeveloped.  If you have a Y chromosome, you can't get pregnant, period.  If you lack a Y chromosome, you cant fertilize an egg, period.  Sex and gender solely exist because of reproduction so to attribute anything else to them than that is ridiculous.  I hope you aren't an anti-science liberal. 

I'm glad you added that Shapiro quote at the end or else I would've thought this is just some mindless, unsourced ramblings of a madman.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »

I don't buy into that gender is different from sex crap.[...]

Stopped reading right there. Who cares what you buy? Facts are facts, regardless of what you think or how you feel about them.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

I'm glad you added that Shapiro quote at the end or else I would've thought this is just some mindless, unsourced ramblings of a madman.
Using insults rather than facts shows you are losing the debate.  Also, only the last sentence came from Ben. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies