If Catalonia received independence would it ultimately unite with Andorra?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:13:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If Catalonia received independence would it ultimately unite with Andorra?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Catalonia received independence would it ultimately unite with Andorra?  (Read 909 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »

Curious what you all think regarding the possibility of the two countries being united as one. This would remove Andorra as the sixth smallest country in Europe and create a combined country roughly the size at The Netherlands. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Andorra#/Languages
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:57:35 PM »

Seems unlikely. The Andorrans have chosen to stay independent this long; why would Catalan independence change that?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »

Seems unlikely. The Andorrans have chosen to stay independent this long; why would Catalan independence change that?

It's in the link I shared.

The historic and official language is Catalan, a Romance language. The Andorran government encourages the use of Catalan. It funds a Commission for Catalan Toponymy in Andorra and provides free Catalan classes to assist immigrants.

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »

The historic and official language is Catalan, a Romance language. The Andorran government encourages the use of Catalan. It funds a Commission for Catalan Toponymy in Andorra and provides free Catalan classes to assist immigrants.

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

I know they speak Catalan in Andorra. But they also speak Spanish and have never expressed the slightest desire to join Spain. Moreover, nationality is about more than language, else why wouldn't Austria merge with Germany? Or Luxembourg with France? Or, maybe most to the point, San Marino with Italy?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

I know they speak Catalan in Andorra. But they also speak Spanish and have never expressed the slightest desire to join Spain. Moreover, nationality is about more than language, else why wouldn't Austria merge with Germany? Or Luxembourg with France? Or, maybe most to the point, San Marino with Italy?

Luxembourg main language isn't French, but Luxembourgish.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »

Andorra has too good a thing going with it's, ahem, tax structures for that to be likely
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

My mistake. I interact professionally with people in Luxembourg a lot, and they always prepare their documents in English and French and have French names, so I assumed it was mostly French-speaking these days. I guess that's only true at the business/international level?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2017, 12:03:09 PM by parochial boy »

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

My mistake. I interact professionally with people in Luxembourg a lot, and they always prepare their documents in English and French and have French names, so I assumed it was mostly French-speaking these days. I guess that's only true at the business/international level?

Well there is a couple of things there. The people you deal with quite possibly are French, as Luxembourg has both a huge (like 30% of the population) level of immigration, and in addition, there is a major phenomena of commuters crossing the border from France to Luxembourg each day.

Luxembourg also has a somewhat unique linguistic situation, as kids do school in French, German and Luxembourgeois, and in day to day life, different things work in different languages (for instance, I believe the convention is that shopping is done in French, but legal correspondence is in German) - so in effect, every Luxembourger uses four languages as part of their daily life.

Most Luxembourgers I have come across have more Germanic sounding names though eg Andy Schleck
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:52:45 AM »

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

Well there is a couple of things there. The people you deal with quite possibly are French, as Luxembourg has both a huge (like 30% of the population) level of immigration, and in addition, there is a major phenomena of commuters crossing the border from France to Luxembourg each day.

Luxembourg also has a somewhat unique linguistic situation, as kids do school in French, German and Luxembourgeois, and in day to day life, different things work in different languages (for instance, I believe the convention is that shopping is done in French, but legal correspondence is in German) - so in effect, every Lucembourger uses four languages as part of their daily life.

Most Luxembourgers I have cone across habe more Germanic sounding names though eg Andy Schlek

Do you count English as the fourth?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »

All would need to happen is the Bishop of Urgell reaching an agreement with Macron.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »

Mother tongue %
Catalan   38.8%
Spanish   35.4%

Luxembourg also has a somewhat unique linguistic situation, as kids do school in French, German and Luxembourgeois, and in day to day life, different things work in different languages (for instance, I believe the convention is that shopping is done in French, but legal correspondence is in German) - so in effect, every Lucembourger uses four languages as part of their daily life.

Most Luxembourgers I have cone across habe more Germanic sounding names though eg Andy Schlek

Do you count English as the fourth?
Yeah, welcome to 21st Century Europe...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies