$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:13:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 109157 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2017, 08:22:51 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

Mr. Perdue proposes an amendment, #1167 (To establish a deficit-neutral reserve fund relating to significantly improving the budget process). The amendment is adopted by voice vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2017, 10:03:26 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

Mr. Enzi proposes an amendment, #1116 (To insert all agreed-to amendments into the budget, end the amendment period, and proceed to a final vote on the resolution). The amendment is agreed to by voice vote.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »

FINAL VOTE ON BUDGET RESOLUTION NOW OCCURING
boske94
Rookie
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »

FINAL VOTE ON BUDGET RESOLUTION NOW OCCURING
No drama this time. It will likelly pass by 51-49 (Paul as only R NO)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »

51-49
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2017, 10:04:48 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

BUDGET RESOLUTION PASSES 51-49. On to the house.

NAYs ---49
Baldwin (D-WI)
Bennet (D-CO)
Blumenthal (D-CT)
Booker (D-NJ)
Brown (D-OH)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Coons (D-DE)
Cortez Masto (D-NV)
Donnelly (D-IN)
Duckworth (D-IL)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Harris (D-CA)
Hassan (D-NH)
Heinrich (D-NM)
Heitkamp (D-ND)
Hirono (D-HI)
Kaine (D-VA)
King (I-ME)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Leahy (D-VT)
Manchin (D-WV)
Markey (D-MA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)
Murphy (D-CT)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Paul (R-KY)
Peters (D-MI)
Reed (D-RI)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schatz (D-HI)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Udall (D-NM)
Van Hollen (D-MD)
Warner (D-VA)
Warren (D-MA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)
boske94
Rookie
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »

BUDGET RESOLUTION PASSES 51-49. On to the house.
On to the conference.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »

The house could just pass the senate's language.
boske94
Rookie
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »

The house could just pass the senate's language.
But probably won't because we haven't seen any late night amendment to appease the House (what some media reported)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »

So at this point Rand Paul has become even more of a right winger than Cruz.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »

This wealthy wank is going to crash the economy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »

It seems that's the only way Americans are going to be weaned from Trumpism -let them suffer from the effects of his policies.  If they're not going to listen to the mainstream media, they will listen to their pocketbooks, at least.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

It seems that's the only way Americans are going to be weaned from Trumpism -let them suffer from the effects of his policies.  If they're not going to listen to the mainstream media, they will listen to their pocketbooks, at least.

Thing is, this is unlikely to cause any short term pain. The ill effects will largely happen after Trump's term, when Democrats will suffer the consequences of passing the measures needed to deal with this mess.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »

Thing is, this is unlikely to cause any short term pain. The ill effects will largely happen after Trump's term, when Democrats will suffer the consequences of passing the measures needed to deal with this mess.

Doesn't this all expire in ten years since it is being done with budget reconciliation?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »

Doesn't this all expire in ten years since it is being done with budget reconciliation?

Unclear. What they're passing now is just a budget to let them use reconciliation, the actual tax reform bill comes later. The rule is 10 years only if it adds to the deficit, permanent if it doesn't. There's actually been some discussion of passing a bill with some permanent provisions and some temporary provisions. And as we saw with the bush tax cuts, when that 10 year deadline does come, there will be immense pressure on politicians to extend at least some of the cuts.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »

Unclear. What they're passing now is just a budget to let them use reconciliation, the actual tax reform bill comes later. The rule is 10 years only if it adds to the deficit, permanent if it doesn't. There's actually been some discussion of passing a bill with some permanent provisions and some temporary provisions. And as we saw with the bush tax cuts, when that 10 year deadline does come, there will be immense pressure on politicians to extend at least some of the cuts.

But eventually, the ones for the highest incomes were not extended.

Frankly I am beginning to coming around to wanting this to pass now for the sake of the corporate tax code reform and the simplification of the code. I think that will be of immense benefit to the economy. I am disturbed by the adding to the deficit obviously, in the mean time. But if this fails, I doubt it will ever get done.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »

I'm not just referring to his tax cuts -Obamacare repeal by executive fiat would impact many of his white working class supporters. Let's face it, the bill by Sens. Murray and Alexander is not going to pass the House, and even by the slim chance it did, I wouldn't count on Trump signing it into law. 
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2017, 10:27:27 PM by Shadows »

These massive tax cuts, coupled by a 1.5 Trillion Medicare & Medicaid cuts & with the end of the CSR payments is going to hit Trump bad.

How is he going to justify this? The economy will not improve (possibly may do worse), people will lose healthcare, some will die, deficits will go higher. In the Townhall Debate, you will see questions coming from people saying my child died due to a Medicaid cut or CSR Payments etc.

This is going to be brutal for Trump.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2017, 10:24:43 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2017, 10:28:03 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

Frankly I am beginning to coming around to wanting this to pass now for the sake of the corporate tax code reform and the simplification of the code. I think that will be of immense benefit to the economy. I am disturbed by the adding to the deficit obviously, in the mean time. But if this fails, I doubt it will ever get done.

You make some good points but it's very hard for me to support something that benefits the wealthy way more than the middle class and adds to the deficit. That being said I understand the framework and budget are not gospel and will postpone judgment until I see the final tax reform bill.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2017, 10:26:45 PM »

I'm not just referring to his tax cuts -Obamacare repeal by executive fiat would impact many of his white working class supporters. Let's face it, the bill by Sens. Murray and Alexander is not going to pass the House, and even by the slim chance it did, I wouldn't count on Trump signing it into law. 
You make some good points but it's very hard for me to support something that benefits the wealthy way more than the middle class and adds to the deficit. That being said I understand the framework and budget are not gospel and will postpone judgment until I see the final tax reform bill.

Huh

I'm not arguing in favor of the tax cuts. 
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »

Huh

I'm not arguing in favor of the tax cuts. 

Was intending to quote Yankee LOL. Edited.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »

I read an article that because of Trump's executive order, it will cause premiums for silver plans to rise, which will turn lead to the premium subsidy getting spiked, meaning more people could afford to get a Gold plan or drop down to Bronze plan with a higher % of the premium covered by the subsidy.

Of course this means that trump's EO actually raises the deficit.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »

It seems that's the only way Americans are going to be weaned from Trumpism -let them suffer from the effects of his policies.  If they're not going to listen to the mainstream media, they will listen to their pocketbooks, at least.

Well to all things there is a solution. If Republicans were far less in the mind of being sticks in the mud, I would add an increase of the minimum wage (say to $9.15) and a boost to the EITC significantly to ensure that there will be a substantial increase in take home pay for the lowest income brackets.

The massive tax cuts and simplification would help compensate small business for the increased labor expense and such a broad based boost to disposable incomes would benefit small business.

But of course Republicans in DC are stupid so it would never happen.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »

^ If you can somehow get Congress to pass that then go for it. You have my blessing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »

1.5 million over the next 10 years is not that big of a cut and can easily be made up.

-Taxing overseas havens ,including a one time wealth tax on those havens

- Cutting 70 billion dollars in military spending

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies