$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 111002 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: November 27, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »

Probably doing it so he can vote Yes later but tell voters when he runs for re election: "but I tried!"
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #651 on: November 27, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »

The no's are rather surprising people. Daines and Johnson aren't the usual suspects (though Johnson might be understandable if you look at how the RNC abandoned him in 2016).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #652 on: November 27, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-27/senate-plans-tax-vote-amid-trump-sales-pitch-tax-debate-update

Also:

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur
Sen. James Lankford says he's concerned the tax cuts won't yield the promised growth and wants a "backstop" built in if revenues plunge.

Very interesting: Lankford floats a trigger in which tax rates could rise if revenues crash. He declines to say if he'd support bill as written, describing it as "in flux."

Biggest hurdle for tax bill now is a few Senate GOP deficit hawks—Corker, Flake, Lankford. If they're placated it probably becomes unstoppable.

TOOMEY says on @BloombergTV he opposes Lankford's debt shield trigger, saying it "could have a self-fulfilling effect."

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/935239072213237761

Toomey's right.  Revenues would crash if the economy crashed, and trying to reduce the deficit under those conditions would likely make things worse (see: 1937).
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #653 on: November 27, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »

Update: McConnell can count on just 41 votes for tax reform. Moran moves from Safe Support to Lean Support, Daines moves from Safe Support all the way to Lean Opposed, Lankford moves from Lean Support to Toss-Up. However, Paul has apparently rejected his previous stance against the Framework and is now a likely vote for the bill.
----

To Summarize the view of the Senate:

Solidly Opposed: The 45 Dem Senators who signed the tax reform demand letter

Likely Opposed:
Manchin, Donnelly, Heitkamp - they didn't sign the letter and have said they have an open mind regarding the legislation, but they are strong supporters of ObamaCare and I really don't think they'd vote to overturn the mandate - however, I can't rule out the silm possibility that if Republicans have 50 votes without them, one of them would vote yes anyway because "My vote wouldn't change the outcome and I want to show bipartisanship so I can get re-elected"

Lean Opposed:
Corker - Deficit hawk - but will he actually have a spine? We'll see.

Collins - Appeared to indicate on 11/19 CNN interview that her support would depend on passage of Alexander-Murray and a separate bill she wrote with Senator Nelson, and keeping the top rate at 39.6%, instead of lowering it to 38.5%.

Daines - Bloomberg and Fox Business have stated that a Daines staff member says he is a no, while CNN and the Washington Post have stated that Daines has raised concerns about certain corporate provisions in the bill without explicitly stating he has threatened to vote no. The guy is generally a backbencher and is thus probably not completely out of reach for McConnell, but it appears his opposition is serious.

Toss-Up:
Lankford - He's said he'll vote against it "if it increases the deficit too much" - but didn't define what too much meant.  He's also called for a trigger provision that would raise tax rates in times of insufficent economic growth, and has explicitly refused to endorse the bill as written, although he has yet to explicitly oppose the bill and is generally a reliable vote for leadership.

Lean Support:
Johnson - Said he can't support it right now, but he also said he wants to get to Yes. Odds are he'll find a way to vote yes eventually.

Flake - Might want to show opposition to Trump, and has raised real doubts about the eventual affect of the bill, but also probably supports the intent of this bill, and he did vote for all versions of ObamaCare Repeal.

Murkowski - Has come out in support of mandate repeal, and she usually supports cutting Taxes. But she was a thorn in the side of Senate R's during the ObamaCare repeal debate, says she has come to no final decision on the plan, and is still promoting Alexander-Murray heavily.

Moran - Sources from Politico to the Washington Post to CNN have stated that Moran has concerns about the bill's repeal of the individual mandate, and he was a no vote on certain versions of health care reform. But he has a record of generally being a reliable vote for leadership, is a solid conservative, and voted for Skinny Repeal. As such, he will likelier than not be able to be whipped into submission.

Likely Support:
McCain - Voted against Skinny Repeal and opposed Graham-Cassidy, but he is a strong supporter of the tax cut portions of this bill, and his opposition to repeal was based more on the process of passage rather than the substance of the bill. I doubt mandate repeal alone would be a dealbreaker to him. But it's not impossible.

Young - Apparently has been raising deficit-related concerns about the bill, but I highly doubt he actually has a backbone.

Paul - Despite his previous stance against the framework, Paul "supports the bill as it stands right now", as reported by Bloomberg News. Still keep an eye on him, as the bill may be amended on the senate floor and it's not impossible that it could be amended in such a way that it changes his stance.

Safe Support: Other 41 GOP Senators

Overall: 51 AGAINST, 49 SUPPORT
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #654 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »

Scott Bauer‏ @sbauerAP
@SenRonJohnson says he's still a no on the Republican tax bill, and will vote against it in committee tomorrow, but he remains optimistic that fixes will be made to get him to support it

Seung Min Kim‏ @seungminkim
Seung Min Kim Retweeted Scott Bauer
This would tank the bill in committee, since GOP only has one-seat majority on Budget.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/935257855304830976
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #655 on: November 27, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »

Scott Bauer‏ @sbauerAP
@SenRonJohnson says he's still a no on the Republican tax bill, and will vote against it in committee tomorrow, but he remains optimistic that fixes will be made to get him to support it

This would tank the bill in committee, since GOP only has one-seat majority on Budget.

I wonder of RoJo realized that before he made his statement. I bet "no."
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #656 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

Scott Bauer‏ @sbauerAP

I wonder of RoJo realized that before he made his statement. I bet "no."

Maybe he's actually mad they're running a lot of ads against him on TV in the state. But he has no spine, so he'll likely still vote for it.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #657 on: November 27, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »

Yeah, Johnson stays in my support column until he actually shows he has guts.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #658 on: November 27, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

It would be hilarious for this bill to fail in committee
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #659 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »

It would be hilarious for this bill to fail in committee

*fingers crossed*
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #660 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »

The question is, why in the world are most ads on air right now in support of this piece of garbage? Why aren't Democrats and progressive groups running their own ads against it?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #661 on: November 27, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »

C'mon, Corker! Cork it!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:07 PM »

Is the vote on this fails....does it just go away till 2018?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #663 on: November 27, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »

Pretty much, December is jam packed and they won't have any time to restart from scratch with so many other big ticket items on the plate, unless they're willing commit seppuku on the national stage and shove it into the government funding negotiations.

And if it gets pushed into 2018, it's just not getting done at all.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »

Pretty much, December is jam packed and they won't have any time to restart from scratch with so many other big ticket items on the plate, unless they're willing commit seppuku on the national stage and shove it into the government funding negotiations.

Uff....come on. Tax vote failing, Flynn flipping, Mueller investigating=best Christmas ever
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »

Uff....come on. Tax vote failing, Flynn flipping, Mueller investigating=best Christmas ever

I look forward to getting drunk on eggnog while watching the GOP tax plan fail and watching Muellergeddon happen.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #666 on: November 27, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »

I look forward to getting drunk on eggnog while watching the GOP tax plan fail and watching Muellergeddon happen.

The Muellerman's coming....bye bye Donnie!

The Muellerman - The President Show
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #667 on: November 27, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »

Tax vote failing, Flynn flipping, Mueller investigating=best Christmas ever
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #668 on: November 27, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »

Even though there are so many Senators leaning no on this I still can't believe that they won't pass something. Otherwise it would be apocalyptic for the GOP in 2018.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #669 on: November 28, 2017, 12:06:09 AM »

While you can never be sure that they won't pass the bill, this does look a lot like Health Care: The number of guaranteed Yes Votes in the low 40s, Two Senators that look very tough to get (Collins and Murkowski for Health Care, Collins and Daines for this), and a host of wildcards that McConnell has to sweep. In Health Care, McConnell tried very hard and wrote multiple drafts, but couldn't sweep the wildcards. It's hard to see why this will be any different.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #670 on: November 28, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »

Wulfric, remember that Mccain voted against the Bush tax cuts because they would raise the national debt too much and were too much of a handout to wealthy Americans. And then a few years later, when the national debt rose, he said "I was right".

I don't think Mccain is as likely to support this as you say he is. I would imagine he is more likely to vote against it than most of the GOP'ers who have recently come out against it.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #671 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »

95% of what I've heard about McCain suggests they believe they have his vote. The 5% is a thing I heard on CNN today, something about Republicans hoping they have 50 votes without his vote so that if he goes over to No at the last minute, it won't matter. Maybe that means something, or maybe they're just trying to not be too optimistic about him, but in any case, that's the only "negative" thing I've heard about McCain's stance.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #672 on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2017, 12:48:30 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Even though there are so many Senators leaning no on this I still can't believe that they won't pass something. Otherwise it would be apocalyptic for the GOP in 2018.

Well it will be REALLY apocalyptic if they do vote for this trash, considering it's polling at 25-52 in quinnipiac and 19-54 in Harvard-Harris. Hence why I don't care that much what they do. They've already lost the PR battle.

I'm not even sure this bill would poll above water in even West Virginia. Hell, it's telling that the Democrat in the competitive Alabama Senate race feels zero pressure to support it.

Base turnout and corporate donations are more important in the midterms than passing an unpopular bill. If they don't have ANYTHING to tell the GOP base that they've accomplished Republicans will just not bother to vote. There will also be primary challenges funded by angry donors.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #673 on: November 28, 2017, 02:25:16 AM »

Quite possible Johnson votes no in committee tomorrow (Not that Johnson wants to kill the bill, but he would be willing to hold it hostage until they give him the tax breaks for sole proprietorships that he and his donors want). Johnson voting no would delay the process, not kill it...they'd just try again when they had a bill that met his concerns.

There's very little consequence for Johnson in voting no tomorrow: it will make McConnell mad and slow down the process, but the bill will still be alive and they could try again in a few days. Meanwhile, he almost certainly gets what he wants out of the new negotiations.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #674 on: November 28, 2017, 03:01:19 AM »

Quite possible Johnson votes no in committee tomorrow (Not that Johnson wants to kill the bill, but he would be willing to hold it hostage until they give him the tax breaks for sole proprietorships that he and his donors want). Johnson voting no would delay the process, not kill it...they'd just try again when they had a bill that met his concerns.

There's very little consequence for Johnson in voting no tomorrow: it will make McConnell mad and slow down the process, but the bill will still be alive and they could try again in a few days. Meanwhile, he almost certainly gets what he wants out of the new negotiations.

Obviously these Republicans saying they'd vote no are just using it as leverage to get something they want out of the bill and will vote yes in the end.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies