$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 110993 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: November 28, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »

I love how the Republican logic on this devilish bill is "we need to pass this horribly unpopular bill now or we'll get destroyed in the midterms!"

They are either delusional or have resigned themselves to their fate in 2018 (AKA getting blown the **** out.)

At first glance, you would expect politicians to realize that passing an unpopular bill that is extremely easy for their political opponents to attack them on would lead to ruin in the midterms. However, I think we're looking at this wrong. Republicans know this bill isn't popular, and at least some of them probably know this bill won't lead to magic growth like they keep saying over and over again. Rather, what they all know is that this is a bill their donors want. This bill will pay back those conservative donors for all the money they have donated to Republican campaigns and thensome, and in order to keep getting donations, Congressional Republicans know they need to pass this.

So they know it's unpopular and likely to hurt them, but they think raking in enough campaign donations can stave off losing control of either chamber. It's very silly if you ask me. They should ask Democrats if money saved them in a bad political environment.

Haha as if donors were actually not going to fund Republicans regardless. They should also take note of how Democrats raised tons of money in 2010 and look how that went.

Most of them probably believe what they're saying. There is a reason they got into politics in the first place. And this bill does have some redeeming qualities (20% corporate tax rate + territorial taxation).

Obamacare was the same exact deal. They couldn't get everything they needed to make it work, but it was a substantial policy change. Maybe about half of what they needed to solve their problem. It was initially unpopular and it was something that united the opposition.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #701 on: November 28, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »

Goodbye 80 House seats you cucks
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #702 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »

I love how the Republican logic on this devilish bill is "we need to pass this horribly unpopular bill now or we'll get destroyed in the midterms!"

They are either delusional or have resigned themselves to their fate in 2018 (AKA getting blown the **** out.)

At first glance, you would expect politicians to realize that passing an unpopular bill that is extremely easy for their political opponents to attack them on would lead to ruin in the midterms. However, I think we're looking at this wrong. Republicans know this bill isn't popular, and at least some of them probably know this bill won't lead to magic growth like they keep saying over and over again. Rather, what they all know is that this is a bill their donors want. This bill will pay back those conservative donors for all the money they have donated to Republican campaigns and thensome, and in order to keep getting donations, Congressional Republicans know they need to pass this.

So they know it's unpopular and likely to hurt them, but they think raking in enough campaign donations can stave off losing control of either chamber. It's very silly if you ask me. They should ask Democrats if money saved them in a bad political environment.

Haha as if donors were actually not going to fund Republicans regardless. They should also take note of how Democrats raised tons of money in 2010 and look how that went.

Most of them probably believe what they're saying. There is a reason they got into politics in the first place. And this bill does have some redeeming qualities (20% corporate tax rate + territorial taxation).

Obamacare was the same exact deal. They couldn't get everything they needed to make it work, but it was a substantial policy change. Maybe about half of what they needed to solve their problem. It was initially unpopular and it was something that united the opposition.

It is actually not similar to the ACA.

The ACA at least helped reduce a significant problem (uninsured rate). The GOP tax plan doesn't do anything helpful. It won't improve economic growth at all.

Also, Obama and D's were betting on long-term effects of ACA (and seeing how popular the ACA is right now, they were correct). The GOP is offering no long-term benefits, the tax cuts for the middle class expire at the end of the decade. On top of that, the public doesn't buy the GOP's nonsense when it comes to trickle down economics.

If Republicans think this bill will save them in the future, then they are delusional.
swf541

« Reply #703 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »

It is actually not similar to the ACA.

The ACA at least helped reduce a significant problem (uninsured rate). The GOP tax plan doesn't do anything helpful. It won't improve economic growth at all.

Also, Obama and D's were betting on long-term effects of ACA (and seeing how popular the ACA is right now, they were correct). The GOP is offering no long-term benefits, the tax cuts for the middle class expire at the end of the decade. On top of that, the public doesn't buy the GOP's nonsense when it comes to trickle down economics.

If Republicans think this bill will save them in the future, then they are delusional.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #704 on: November 28, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »

I'm sure everyone's favorite RINO is jizzing up a storm right now. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy is basically the only reason s/he's a Republican.

It's better than being a Republican because you just hate the blacks Smiley
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #705 on: November 28, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »

Dwarven dragon, please give us an updated whip count
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #706 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »

It's good to note that Johnson owns (owned?) a pass-through business that would benefit from a further cut to the pass-through rate. He also has stakes in several other pass-through businesses. Conflict of interest? He did get what he wanted in the end.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #707 on: November 28, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »

I'm sure everyone's favorite RINO is jizzing up a storm right now. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy is basically the only reason s/he's a Republican.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: November 28, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2017, 05:05:16 PM by mvd10 »

The corporate tax cut will attract companies, spur investment and create thousands of jobs for minorities. Trump loves minorities and minorities will love Trump after they get their big fat TRUMP paycheck next year Smiley. Democrats oppose corporate tax cuts because they help minorities. SAD!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #709 on: November 28, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »

I'd be surprised if he loved this bill. I think he's more a Republican for historical and personal reasons. "Party of Lincoln, born and raised Republican, etc." It's more of an identity and culture thing. Kind of like the inverse of those "My grandpappy would hit me with a coal shovel if I ever voted Republican" right wingers that used to dominate West Virginia, but have finally either died or switched parties once the Democrats had the nerve to betray them and elect a darkie I mean uhh...economic anxiety! Yeah, that's it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #710 on: November 28, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

The corporate tax cut will attract companies, spur investment and create thousands of jobs for minorities. Trump loves minorities and minorities will love Trump after they get their big fat TRUMP paycheck next year Smiley. Democrats oppose corporate tax cuts because they help minorities. SAD!

Why do you have a blue avatar again? Clearly you don't drink the kool-aid on trickle-down and white-grievance, so I'm genuinely puzzled.

Not all Republicans are Trumpists. (Most, sadly, but not all).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #711 on: November 28, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

How will this affect me?  Is there a calculator?

I like the idea that the cuts will automatically expire if the revenue doesn't materialize.  Now THAT is the kind of thinking we need in congress.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #712 on: November 28, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/935637329062055936
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #714 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »

Kennedy certainly has a way with words:

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #715 on: November 28, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2017, 07:32:23 PM by Arch »

Then he better drink it in open congress as he hackishly votes for it and screws over his constituents.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #716 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »

Senate adjourned for the night. Motion to Proceed is apparently tomorrow, amendment votes to follow
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #717 on: November 28, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

The shuffling of republicans into and out of the no column for this bill is one of the more interesting aspects of the action surrounding this bill.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #718 on: November 28, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

The non-partisan Joint Congressional Committee on Taxation will release a report on the bill potentially as soon as tomorrow evening. Unlike the CBO, it will consider how much enonomic growth is likely to result from the bill and how this will affect the Bill's effect on the deficit.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #719 on: November 28, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »

Does this bill still have some big hoops to go through before becoming a reality? Yes
Does it have a much greater chance of passage than healthcare reform ever had? Yes

Right now, I think we're looking at some kind of tax bill becoming law. Maybe not the draft currently up for debate, but something.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #720 on: November 28, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »

How exactly can one keep an "open mind" about something you'd rather drink weed killer than do?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #721 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »

How exactly can one keep an "open mind" about something you'd rather drink weed killer than do?

He can hold his opinions on something until it becomes a problem for Senate leadership affecting passage, after which he will suck it up and find some justification for it.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #722 on: November 28, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »

The shuffling of republicans into and out of the no column for this bill is one of the more interesting aspects of the action surrounding this bill.

It's a tactic to confuse the voting Public. They can also say come election time " but but I objected to it!"
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #723 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »

His quote about not voting for Brett Talley was something, too
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #724 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »

Voting it out of committee doesn't necessarily mean he'll vote yes on the final bill. McCain voted for the MTP on Obamacare repeal and then switched his vote to kill it. Who knows how the last-minute negotiations and amendments to this thing will end up.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies