$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:51:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 110911 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: November 28, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »

I'm more worried that muh deficit hawk Corker voted yes. At this, point, this might past without Pence even having to break the tie.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #726 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »

Based on the varying actions and statements, a ton of movement today. Manchin, Donnelly, and Heitkamp move from Likely Opposed to Safe Opposed. Corker moves from Lean Opposed to Toss-Up. Johnson moves from Lean Support to Safe Support. I'm sorry I ever believed that cuck would even think about opposing this. Kennedy moves from Safe Support to Lean Support.

To Summarize the view of the Senate:

Solidly Opposed: All 48 Dems

Likely Opposed: N/A

Lean Opposed:
Collins - Appeared to indicate on 11/19 CNN interview that her support would depend on passage of Alexander-Murray and a separate bill she wrote with Senator Nelson, and keeping the top rate at 39.6%, instead of lowering it to 38.5%.

Daines - Bloomberg and Fox Business have stated that a Daines staff member says he is a no, while CNN and the Washington Post have stated that Daines has raised concerns about certain corporate provisions in the bill without explicitly stating he has threatened to vote no. The guy is generally a backbencher and is thus probably not completely out of reach for McConnell, but it appears his opposition is serious.

Toss-Up:
Lankford - He's said he'll vote against it "if it increases the deficit too much" - but didn't define what too much meant.  He's also called for a trigger provision that would raise tax rates in times of insufficent economic growth, and has explicitly refused to endorse the bill as written, although he has yet to explicitly oppose the bill and is generally a reliable vote for leadership.

Corker - Voted Yes in committee, but has been clear that his support on final passage will depend on the inclusion of a trigger provision in the bill. It is unclear if such a provision will be in the final version of the bill.

Lean Support:
Flake - Might want to show opposition to Trump, and has raised real doubts about the eventual affect of the bill, but also probably supports the intent of this bill, and he did vote for all versions of ObamaCare Repeal.

Murkowski - Has come out in support of mandate repeal, and she usually supports cutting Taxes. But she was a thorn in the side of Senate R's during the ObamaCare repeal debate, says she has come to no final decision on the plan, and is still promoting Alexander-Murray heavily.

Moran - Sources from Politico to the Washington Post to CNN have stated that Moran has concerns about the bill's repeal of the individual mandate, and he was a no vote on certain versions of health care reform. But he has a record of generally being a reliable vote for leadership, is a solid conservative, and voted for Skinny Repeal. As such, he will likelier than not be able to be whipped into submission.

Kennedy - Has threatened to vote against the bill if McConnell decides to include a Trigger provision, which McConnell may do to please Lankford and Corker.

Likely Support:
McCain - Voted against Skinny Repeal and opposed Graham-Cassidy, but he is a strong supporter of the tax cut portions of this bill, and his opposition to repeal was based more on the process of passage rather than the substance of the bill. I doubt mandate repeal alone would be a dealbreaker to him. But it's not impossible.

Young - Apparently has been raising deficit-related concerns about the bill, but I highly doubt he actually has a backbone.

Paul - Despite his previous stance against the framework, Paul "supports the bill as it stands right now", as reported by Bloomberg News. Still keep an eye on him, as the bill may be amended on the senate floor and it's not impossible that it could be amended in such a way that it changes his stance.

Safe Support: Other 41 GOP Senators

Overall: 50 AGAINST, 48 SUPPORT, 2 TOSS-UP
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #727 on: November 28, 2017, 11:46:35 PM »

I seriously doubt Daines will actually vote no. I think it passes, 51-49, barring something unexpected.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #728 on: November 28, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »

And the monumentally catastrophic change in the tax code for graduate students is still in there, correct? Sad
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #729 on: November 28, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »

And the monumentally catastrophic change in the tax code for graduate students is still in there, correct? Sad

Of course
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #730 on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »

Of course

Sigh...
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #731 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:28 AM »

Of course

Sigh...

Do explain? I missed this.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #732 on: November 29, 2017, 12:05:53 AM »

Of course

Sigh...

Do explain? I missed this.

They're making a change to the tax code so that tuition remission is taxed as income for graduate students. That means that students making around $16k a year will have to pay taxes for $40k or more. Not only does that make them jump tax brackets, it also taxes them for a ridiculous amount of their already extremely low actual income.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #733 on: November 29, 2017, 12:13:40 AM »

I thought the Senate version of the bill didn't have the tuition remission part.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #734 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:52 AM »

I thought the Senate version of the bill didn't have the tuition remission part.

You're right on this, but we'll see what happens in the reconciliation process.

https://www.snopes.com/tax-plan-graduate-students/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #735 on: November 29, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »

Of course

Sigh...

Well, this will be fun.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #736 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »

Voting it out of committee doesn't necessarily mean he'll vote yes on the final bill. McCain voted for the MTP on Obamacare repeal and then switched his vote to kill it. Who knows how the last-minute negotiations and amendments to this thing will end up.

Don't kid yourself. Johnson is and always was a safe yes vote.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #737 on: November 29, 2017, 12:56:35 AM »

They're making a change to the tax code so that tuition remission is taxed as income for graduate students. That means that students making around $16k a year will have to pay taxes for $40k or more. Not only does that make them jump tax brackets, it also taxes them for a ridiculous amount of their already extremely low actual income.

Conceptually this tax change makes a lot of sense to me from a consistency point of view.  For example if a landlord provides an apartment rent-free to a superintendent and the superintendent also receives a salary from the landlord, the value of the apartment's free-market rent is considered part of the superintendent's compensation requiring tax payments by both him and the landlord (for federal state local taxes as well as FICA.) 

Of course if the graduate has been given a scholarship by the university then it is different story.   I believe the proposed tax changes only tries to tax the value of labor provided by the graduate student who receives discounts off the tuition in compensation.  If so then this tax changes merely makes it consistent with the existing tax code. 
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #738 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »

I'm sure everyone's favorite RINO is jizzing up a storm right now. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy is basically the only reason s/he's a Republican.

It's better than being a Republican because you just hate the blacks Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The corporate tax cut will attract companies, spur investment and create thousands of jobs for minorities. Trump loves minorities and minorities will love Trump after they get their big fat TRUMP paycheck next year Smiley. Democrats oppose corporate tax cuts because they help minorities. SAD!

Why do you have a blue avatar again? Clearly you don't drink the kool-aid on trickle-down and white-grievance, so I'm genuinely puzzled.

To be honest I'd support slashing the corporate tax rate, reforming medicare and increasing the Social Security retirement. I just don't buy most of the other Republican policies, especially the ones that would harm the extreme poor for a spending cut equal to 0.05% of GDP or so. And I usually keep my quality posts for the International Elections forum (Merica gets the sh**t posts) and in Europe I'm clearly a right-winger.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether the deficit trigger is a good idea. It basically would be a gigantic tax increase during a recession, and it would create a lot of uncertainty for businesses. If they want to reduce the cost to the deficit they should just make it a $1.0-1.2 trillion tax cut by further cutting loopholes.

If Johnson folds so easily I don't expect Daines to be a no for long (and Lankford probably will end up voting yes as well). I'd worry more about Corker and Collins.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #739 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:50 AM »

Voting it out of committee doesn't necessarily mean he'll vote yes on the final bill. McCain voted for the MTP on Obamacare repeal and then switched his vote to kill it. Who knows how the last-minute negotiations and amendments to this thing will end up.

Don't kid yourself. Johnson is and always was a safe yes vote.

Yep. Johnson didn't care about Wisconsin for one second during his first term and still won re-election, so why should he care now? It's really sad that the LameStream Media convinced me to give him a chance in a non-Safe Column, but at least he made his position crystal clear today.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #740 on: November 29, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

Larry Kudlow says tax plan will "hurt" people:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/29/trump-tax-reform-kudlow-194187
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #741 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »

That hasn't stopped them before.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: November 29, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »

In fact, they're probably licking their lips at the prospect. Conservatism is a form of sociopathy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #743 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

Then guess what.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #744 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

Presumably by "people", he means himself, anyway.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #745 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »

Granny starver Paul Ryan just jizzed
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #746 on: November 29, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »

Rubio and lee want corp cut to 22% not 20% in order to pay for more generous child credits
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #747 on: November 29, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »

Rubio and lee want corp cut to 22% not 20% in order to pay for more generous child credits

Should go the opposite way and reduce the corporate rate lower and axe more child credits.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #748 on: November 29, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

Should go the opposite way and reduce the corporate rate lower and axe more child credits.

Tax children on their allowances while they're at it. That's the Republican way.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #749 on: November 29, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »

Murkowski’s office says she will vote Yes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/935954365113864192

McCain says “Stay tuned”.

https://mobile.twitter.com/seungminkim/status/935959434681085952

Collins is a Yes on the MTP, but still concerned over individual mandate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/935955798395670528
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies