$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:21:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 111935 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 26, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

Closeness of the vote makes me pretty confident some form of SALT deduction will remain in the final product.

Basically all the no votes were because of SALT....

I wonder if the DCCC is gonna be smart and try to beat Walters, Royce, Knight, Rohrabacher, Issa, Paulsen and Roskam over the head with the "tax raisers!" club

It’d be malpractice not to.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »

I love how the Republican logic on this devilish bill is "we need to pass this horribly unpopular bill now or we'll get destroyed in the midterms!"

They are either delusional or have resigned themselves to their fate in 2018 (AKA getting blown the **** out.)

At first glance, you would expect politicians to realize that passing an unpopular bill that is extremely easy for their political opponents to attack them on would lead to ruin in the midterms. However, I think we're looking at this wrong. Republicans know this bill isn't popular, and at least some of them probably know this bill won't lead to magic growth like they keep saying over and over again. Rather, what they all know is that this is a bill their donors want. This bill will pay back those conservative donors for all the money they have donated to Republican campaigns and thensome, and in order to keep getting donations, Congressional Republicans know they need to pass this.

So they know it's unpopular and likely to hurt them, but they think raking in enough campaign donations can stave off losing control of either chamber. It's very silly if you ask me. They should ask Democrats if money saved them in a bad political environment.

Haha as if donors were actually not going to fund Republicans regardless. They should also take note of how Democrats raised tons of money in 2010 and look how that went.

Yeah this is suspiciously similar to the ACA debate.

And Obama was wayyyy more popular than Trump then.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »

His quote about not voting for Brett Talley was something, too
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »

That ANWR provision might not meet Byrd rule provisions, just fyi. Lotta moving parts.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/936374446549585920
@sahilkapur
Cornyn says Corker want MORE than $350 billion in higher taxes as "he's latched on to the" JCT score showing $1 trillion in red ink after growth.

Good luck...

Lol what a dumpster fire
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »

The comedic farce continues:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These are the same people who ran thousands of ads about Nancy Pelosi's "pass it to see what's in it" comment.
You gotta pass it to write it!

Ha! Exactly.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/seungminkim/status/936705353483513856

Um, WHY?

You want to unite the public against this tax bill and so at the height of the debate you decide to go with Frankenstein of all people?

The two are completely unrelated

A senator has a right to voice his objections

This is true! Still, optics.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »

Castro, dragon, yank, gass......what are the chances this thing fails in conference committee

It's pretty unlikely that they fail to work something out.

If it "fails" in conference, does that mean both chambers need to revote?

More or less back to the drawing board. IN which case a narrower package is probably done.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

To the people acting as if this will destroy the GOP: nobody will remember or care about this in a year. Just hope that Mueller indicts Trump a month before the midterms and the roughly 55% of the country that is remotely sane gives us a nice D wave.

I don't know about that. The SALT deduction removal could leave an opening for Democrats in dozens of suburban Republican-held districts. The tax changes on graduate programs could also have an impact on people current in college.

Americans don't always have goldfish memory for everything. Although it might depend on how Democrats integrate this into their strategy for the next 3 years.

If IIRC the graduate tax changes aren’t in the Senate version, and the Senate version caps SALT deductions rather than eliminating entirely

It’s still an abortion of a bill, though.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 12:22:41 AM »

I noticed that Pence cast a tie-breaking vote for Cruz's amendment. What does Cruz's amendment do?

It extends 529 savings accounts, which parents use to save money for college, to k-12 expenses as well.

I thought that was Byrded out.

The 529s for fetuses was Byrded out. Not the K-12.

The unborn part was ridiculous. Even if not Byrded out how the f—- do you create a financial account for someone who doesn’t have a name, birth certificate or SSN? Absurdity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies