$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:47:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 111947 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »

Please excuse my ignorance. What does it mean that the corporate tax cuts are "permanent"?
If the Ds control the trifecta in 2021 can't they just repeal them, through reconciliation or regular order?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

Please excuse my ignorance. What does it mean that the corporate tax cuts are "permanent"?
If the Ds control the trifecta in 2021 can't they just repeal them, through reconciliation or regular order?

They can, yes. "Permanent" just means that they don't expire on their own like the individual cuts do in 2027.

Thanks.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »

If Fox News says so...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:33 PM »

Are we sure marty's real first name isn't Grover?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 06:33:29 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

Sorry for asking a stupid question. I haven't been following the tax debacle all that closely. How are the senate getting around the Byrd rule to pass this with 51 votes?

I'd like to see an answer to that too.

Also, why all this doomsday rhetoric from the Democrats? If I'm not mistaken the law takes effect in 2019 and if Democrats win the trifecta next year they can simply repeal it. There just won't be enough time for it to make irreparable damage.
And unlike ACA and the Republicans, I don't think this law will be much more popular by then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »

Sorry for asking a stupid question. I haven't been following the tax debacle all that closely. How are the senate getting around the Byrd rule to pass this with 51 votes?

Also, why all this doomsday rhetoric from the Democrats? If I'm not mistaken the law takes effect in 2019 and if Democrats win the trifecta next year they can simply repeal it. There just won't be enough time for it to make irreparable damage.
And unlike ACA and the Republicans, I don't think this law will be much more popular by then.
How are democrats supposed to obtain the senate, house and presidency by 2019?

By next year I mean 2020.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

I'm going to die of a stroke when Democrats reclaim the chamber and Mark Warner or whoever gets on TV to talk about how they can't just pass everything they want because they have to care about the deficit.
They are simply going to heavily increase taxes on the richest people & corporations.

Depends on who becomes president in 2020. If it's Joe "billionaires are patriotic" Biden, then forget it

Biden said literally the opposite of what you posted.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

I'm going to die of a stroke when Democrats reclaim the chamber and Mark Warner or whoever gets on TV to talk about how they can't just pass everything they want because they have to care about the deficit.
They are simply going to heavily increase taxes on the richest people & corporations.

Depends on who becomes president in 2020. If it's Joe "billionaires are patriotic" Biden, then forget it

Biden said literally the opposite of what you posted.

Bidens decades long record in the Senate speaks for itself. Just more of the same

That's irrelevant. You lied.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »

Biden wrote the 1994 crime bill that packed our prisons with minorities, a bill which if it had not passed would have allowed the Democrats to win every election. All of the disenfranchised felons that were stopped from voting is one of the reasons Gore lost Florida.

Why do all Sanders supporters have such a tenuous relationship with the truth?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

Biden wrote the 1994 crime bill that packed our prisons with minorities, a bill which if it had not passed would have allowed the Democrats to win every election. All of the disenfranchised felons that were stopped from voting is one of the reasons Gore lost Florida.

Why do all Sanders supporters have such a tenuous relationship with the truth?

Despite reservations, Mr. Biden, who has served as the Obama administration’s unofficial liaison to the law enforcement community, has not only stood by the 1994 legislation, but has also frequently taken credit for it. As recently as this spring, in an essay on community policing for a book of bipartisan reform proposals put together by the Brennan Center for Justice, Mr. Biden referred to the legislation as the “1994 Biden Crime Bill.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/us/politics/joe-bidens-role-in-90s-crime-law-could-haunt-any-presidential-bid.html

The vast majority of incarcerations were/are based on state laws. Clinton's crime bill didn't have a significant impact on that aspect.
You are just another Bernie Bro who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »

Won't matter. When Hillary ran in 2016, people blamed her for losing their jobs to NAFTA even though she had nothing to do with it. Same thing will happen with Biden on top of his Senate voting record which is absolutely one of the worst

People also accused her of running a child-sex ring from the basement of a pizza parlor.
If truth doesn't matter to you then get the f out of here and go join Free Republic and Breitbart.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »

I don't think anybody answered this, or did I miss it?

They used the FY 2018 reconciliation instructions for this bill, so they only needed 51 votes period.

The vast majority of tax proposals are related to the budget, so it's not that hard to construe an all-encompassing tax bill without violating the Byrd Rule. Some minor stuff was removed but overall the bill doesn't increase the deficit after 10 years (due to budget gimmicks) so it passes the Byrd Rule.

The bill also had stuff unrelated to the budget (abortion, ANWR, etc.). How did they survive the Byrd bath?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies