$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:03:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 110846 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 02, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »

I would fully support it if they added this :

Taxing overseas havens

That's not going to happen, the GOP right now gets its money from rich people and corporations that love to hide money and not actually pay taxes so you won't see it. Would love to see it though, drag back all that money!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

Punishment of education, nothing scares a conservative more than educated people.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »

I just got a POLITICO alert that the "Senate GOP [is] strongly consider[ing] adding Obamacare mandate repeal to tax bill". Wow, these guys are really trying to tank the one thing they actually have a chance of passing.
Lol what a bunch of incompetent boobs

Good, kill Obamacare Repeal a third time and then kill the normal people tax increase bill.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »

Johnson is probably doing this for optics and then will come back in fold like last time

He has no spine, plus he’s not even a businessman. Married a rich women and her dad gave him his business that sold exclusively to him to occupy him. He’ll happily vote for it in the end.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »

Barbara Comstock voted to raise our taxes. Bad.

She knows she's done, she doesn't have to pretend to be moderate anymore.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »

It's not just that, it's that they praise bad decisions like Paris withdrawal and ditching regulations while simultaneously claiming that they are educated. Spoiled brats most likely.
Because educated people are only allowed to have one opinion? Your implication being a common opinion is the reason why more and more GOP voters have a negative view of the effects of education.

Those that are truly educated generally might know a lot but will admit they don't know everything and defer to experts. Those that aren't actually intelligent think they know everything and that they're always right, easy as that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »

It's not just that, it's that they praise bad decisions like Paris withdrawal and ditching regulations while simultaneously claiming that they are educated. Spoiled brats most likely.
Because educated people are only allowed to have one opinion? Your implication being a common opinion is the reason why more and more GOP voters have a negative view of the effects of education.

Those that are truly educated generally might know a lot but will admit they don't know everything and defer to experts. Those that aren't actually intelligent think they know everything and that they're always right, easy as that.
This isn't about "knowing a lot". This is about having a political opinion. Shocker for some Democrats, but opinions can and do differ even among "educated" people, and that is perfectly legitimate.

It's perfectly legitimate iff the opposing opinion is sound.

Correct, lack of belief of facts is a way to show someone really isn't intelligent or that educated to begin with.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »

Why can't they just do something smart like:

- Actually lower the tax rate and keep all deductions for those making $250,000 or less.
- Lower corporate tax rates to get them in line with the rest of the world but then close the loopholes so corporations actually have to pay the 20-25% tax rate.
- Eliminate the estate tax for the small farmers that can possibly get hit while raising it on wealthy estates.
-Jacking up taxes 20-30% for the top 1% and punishing hiding money in offshore accounts.

Everyone wins!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 09:46:13 AM by MasterJedi »

They're running ads in the Milwaukee Metro to try and pressure Johnson to vote for the bill. Ad makes it seem like the bill will automatically give married families back $2,600 come tax time.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »

This is literally so Mr. Burns-level evil it's funny. Yet we still have a number of defenders of the white-grievance Grand Ole Perverts Party insisting that Trumpism is a winning strategy for the GOP because it is an ideology that sticks up for the working folks that this plan would bone right in the butt. But MUH sanctuary cities and NAFTA, amirite?

People deserve what they vote for!

They're running ads saying working class people will pay less taxes, so the real blowback will be when they all have to pay more.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

I'll leave hope but I'll believe it when I see it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

Scott Bauer‏ @sbauerAP
@SenRonJohnson says he's still a no on the Republican tax bill, and will vote against it in committee tomorrow, but he remains optimistic that fixes will be made to get him to support it

Seung Min Kim‏ @seungminkim
Seung Min Kim Retweeted Scott Bauer
This would tank the bill in committee, since GOP only has one-seat majority on Budget.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/935257855304830976

I wonder of RoJo realized that before he made his statement. I bet "no."

Maybe he's actually mad they're running a lot of ads against him on TV in the state. But he has no spine, so he'll likely still vote for it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »

So how are they going to live with the $1 trillion deficit increase?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »

A number of my left-wing friends have said, "as much as it sucks that it's a corporate give away, I desperately need to keep some more money." Most of my friends makes between $35k and $55k (myself included). What's the best argument to use to encourage my friends not to support this tax plan?

Massive deficit increase and that their taxes will go up permanently in 3-4 years with this plan so short term marginal gain for long term pain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »

A number of my left-wing friends have said, "as much as it sucks that it's a corporate give away, I desperately need to keep some more money." Most of my friends makes between $35k and $55k (myself included). What's the best argument to use to encourage my friends not to support this tax plan?

Massive deficit increase and that their taxes will go up permanently in 3-4 years with this plan so short term marginal gain for long term pain.

Exactly I agree. But it's just like--so hard to tell someone not to like extra money in their pockets. That's part of why this bill is so damn toxic.

Hand them $300-400, tell them that's their savings for 3-4 years, now ask for it all back, say that's what happens in 3-4 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies