$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 110678 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »

These people are going to lose 40+ seats next year.

Gutting the ACA to fund tax cuts for rich folks sounds like a smart thing to run on.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »

Republicans have to know that democrats will sell this as another health bill, right? "Take away peoples healthcare to give rich people tax cuts" is not going to be popular.

Wyden has already started calling it a healthcare bill.

It takes some real political ineptitude to be outmaneuvered by the Democratic Party.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

They are really going to **** this up?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2017, 03:12:31 PM by Yank2133 »

Trump told senators he supports Murray-Alexander ACA stability bill

lol.

It won't pass if the mandate is still included. Republicans are going to own the fallout from all of this.

But hey, at least our donors are happy.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »

I love how the Republican logic on this devilish bill is "we need to pass this horribly unpopular bill now or we'll get destroyed in the midterms!"

They are either delusional or have resigned themselves to their fate in 2018 (AKA getting blown the **** out.)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »

I love how the Republican logic on this devilish bill is "we need to pass this horribly unpopular bill now or we'll get destroyed in the midterms!"

They are either delusional or have resigned themselves to their fate in 2018 (AKA getting blown the **** out.)

At first glance, you would expect politicians to realize that passing an unpopular bill that is extremely easy for their political opponents to attack them on would lead to ruin in the midterms. However, I think we're looking at this wrong. Republicans know this bill isn't popular, and at least some of them probably know this bill won't lead to magic growth like they keep saying over and over again. Rather, what they all know is that this is a bill their donors want. This bill will pay back those conservative donors for all the money they have donated to Republican campaigns and thensome, and in order to keep getting donations, Congressional Republicans know they need to pass this.

So they know it's unpopular and likely to hurt them, but they think raking in enough campaign donations can stave off losing control of either chamber. It's very silly if you ask me. They should ask Democrats if money saved them in a bad political environment.

Haha as if donors were actually not going to fund Republicans regardless. They should also take note of how Democrats raised tons of money in 2010 and look how that went.

Most of them probably believe what they're saying. There is a reason they got into politics in the first place. And this bill does have some redeeming qualities (20% corporate tax rate + territorial taxation).

Obamacare was the same exact deal. They couldn't get everything they needed to make it work, but it was a substantial policy change. Maybe about half of what they needed to solve their problem. It was initially unpopular and it was something that united the opposition.

It is actually not similar to the ACA.

The ACA at least helped reduce a significant problem (uninsured rate). The GOP tax plan doesn't do anything helpful. It won't improve economic growth at all.

Also, Obama and D's were betting on long-term effects of ACA (and seeing how popular the ACA is right now, they were correct). The GOP is offering no long-term benefits, the tax cuts for the middle class expire at the end of the decade. On top of that, the public doesn't buy the GOP's nonsense when it comes to trickle down economics.

If Republicans think this bill will save them in the future, then they are delusional.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »

There is something really cynical about how Trump is holding this rally and blantly lie to these peoples faces about how he will not benefit from this bill and helping the middle class is its backbone

I have no sympathy for them.

You have to be one dumb **** to still buy the nonsense the GOP spouts when it comes to tax cuts.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I give up.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »

Castro, gass, dwarven, yank, etc...... would you say the odds of this thing passing are above 50%?

I would give it an 80% chance passing.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 01:06:06 PM »

You think passing this will make Trump at least modestly popular? (low-to-mid 40s)

No.

The GOP tax plan isn't popular with anyone.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

It is still mind-boggling how the GOP are going to lose at least one of their majorities because of their fetish to cut taxes for top earners.

A legit tax reform bill could have been widely popular and it would have put vulnerable Democrats on the defensive. The fact that pols like Manchin, McCaskill, Donnelly etc. feel no pressure to support this bill says it all.

5-10 years from now we are going to look back on this era as a missed opportunity for the GOP.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »

Yeah, I call bull****.

This sounds like wishful thinking from some GOP aide. No Dem is going to vote for this bill.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2017, 02:09:39 PM by Yank2133 »

I mean of course it's not out of the question, the bill is very likely to pass and, in the short term, will be extremely easy for Republicans to point to as both a legislative win and a way they are 'giving back' to middle America. This will be extremely popular in red states, which are currently represented by anywhere from 6-10 Democratic senators. So of course they might add the 53rd - 58th ish votes. None would be the 50th or probably 51st vote, but if Manchin or Heitkamp can avoid their constituents using this as an excuse to vote against them why not take it? The I'll effects of this bill, such as they are, won't be felt for a while, so there's not much point in the short term for vulnerable senators to oppose it unless they think they can beat it.

That's just smart politics.

It is actually not smart politics.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-donald-trump-somehow-failed-to-sell-massive-tax-cuts-to-democrats

People are really underselling how discredited the GOP is when it comes to tax policies. The Bush Tax Cuts did a number on them.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »

I cannot wait for Republicans to sh**t themselves again, wait for a Democratic President to come in, then make massive midterm gains off blaming the Democrat for their own incompetence. It's the cycle of life.

it is going to be hilarious when these assholes all of sudden become deficit hawks the minute the new Democratic president is sworn in.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »

Yeah, Corker must have gotten something.

He likely got nothing but lip service (just like Collins.).
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/936363732069945348
@seungminkim
JUST IN: ““It doesn’t look like the trigger is going to work, according to the parliamentarian,” @JohnCornyn says after drama on floor

lol

**** Bob Corker.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »

So Corker and Flake might kill this thing or they are going to pass a half assed version of the already unpopular tax bill

Why is Flake even being considered

He's cuck of the year

I still say this title belongs to Ted Cruz.

Man calls your wife ugly and says your father was part of a plot to kill a president and yet you still vote for everything he wants in Congress.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »

Collins may flip if she realizes the effect on coverage is too great. Or some darkhorse like Daines or Lankford could torpedo it. It's not safe when every Senator is the deciding vote.

Why would a supposed moderate hero like Collins be in favor of destroying Obamacare? I thought the mandate repeal would totally turn her into a solid no vote.

Because she was promised that Alexander-Murray would also be voted on to counteract the effect of repealing the mandate.

The problem here is that Alexander-Murray won't pass the house. IMO, Collins is just looking for political cover.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »

Bob, you really going to let this cuck talk to you like that?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

Why the f**k didn't Democrats vote for this? It's not like the bill won't still pass anyway.

They don't want their fingerprints anywhere near this bill.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »

Off-topic, but Democrats need to get rid of the filibuster for good.

I am feeling petty, but I want to steamroll these bastards the next time we control everything.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 12:06:37 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 12:12:32 AM by Yank2133 »

I am feeling petty, but I want to steamroll these bastards the next time we control everything.

Yeah. No one gives a f**k about the "regular order" anyway.

Seriously.

And if McConnell whines about it, tell him to go **** himself.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 12:08:31 AM »

Go right ahead you guys won’t gain back the senate for a long time anyway.

If Jones manages to win, we might take it back next year.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »

I don't think the GOP will get full-control of all three branches for some time after they lose it.

In fact, I think the 2020's will be dominated by a divided congress (GOP controls Senate, Democrats control House). But there might be a small window where Democrats control everything and that is when they should go for broke.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »

I don't think the GOP will get full-control of all three branches for some time after they lose it.

In fact, I think the 2020's will be dominated by a divided congress (GOP controls Senate, Democrats control House). But there might be a small window where Democrats control everything and that is when they should go for broke.

This is exactly what Reid thought too. "Oh, the GOP will never be in control again".

And you can't just restore the filibuster when you're about to lose power. It's the precedent that matters. Once one side does it, the other feels entitled to do it.

Who gives a ****?

The GOP is already going around the filibuster with their use of reconciliation.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies